Avengers Infinity War with spoilers

Bazza

Well, from what I can tell, it seems like a lot of folks care. Otherwise they wouldn't be filling the Internet with countless discussions just like this one.

If you compare the MCU to its comic-book counterpart(s), it is clearly endeavoring mightily to be realistic in ways the comics would never bother to be.

7 hours ago, massey said:

I think a man by the name of George Clooney would disagree with you on that...

Nah.  Clooney has been known to refund disappointed fans of Batman & Robin out of his own pocket.  Me--I figure Akiva Goldsman was more to blame for that mess.

And besides, Clooney did Tommorowland--so he's forgiven, as far as I'm concerned.

3 hours ago, Bazza said:

Huh? I must be missing something. 

My geek card is staying put. I have Mazes & Monsters & Highlander 2. Which one should I watch first? 

In the 1960s Adam West played Batman on TV which ran for three seasons.

After the first season they made a film with four of the villains. So you should see the film.

There is no Highlander 2. And Mazes and Monsters is not worth watching.

I had no problem with Thanos's motivation in this movie. He's the Mad Titan. Not "the Misguided Titan," not "the Disputable Titan." He expects gratitude for genocide. He confuses torture for parental love. He claims compassion but revels in brutality and destruction. He's a psychopath, and clearly delusional. That's why he has to be stopped. If his plan made sense there'd be some debate as to whether or not he should be stopped. But his delusion is no more profound than what many real people live with.

Now, planning to wipe out the entire universe as a gift to win the love of the personification of Death... that's a whole other order of magnitude of mad.

2 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

Yes. As wacky as Lady Death obsession might be, at least "romantic obsession" is a motivation people can identify with. "In love with death" is a kind of loony that an audience can at least go with... having Thanos present his motivation as simply an extreme take on a logical problem is actually asking the audience to tyr and understand him, to think about what he says... and end up going, "Hey... wait a sec... whaaaa?"

Exactly. They should have left it with the classic comic book motivation as Whedon set it up. At least that made some sense.

7 hours ago, zslane said:

MCU Stormbreaker is an example of something kit-bashed together from multiple sources, while being completely faithful to none of them. The name (which is shamefully lore-inconsistent and non-Nordic...after all, it was made by the same dwarves that made Gungnir and Mjolnir and Gleipnir...) comes from a hammer that wasn't even made for (616) Thor, with a design and power set from Ultimates Thor, and a handle which is pure MCU zaniness. It's just a hot mess of a thing. But hey, it looks cool and will make for a rather distinctive toy, right?

Everything to do with the MCU has been kit-bashed together. We've got classic Marvel mixed with Ultimate Marvel mixed with multiply-re-booted Marvel, filtered through the new Cinematic Marvel. This setting is weaving a new cloth for a new era and medium. The name "Stormbreaker," though, has Marvel precedent, being the name of Beta Ray Bill's hammer. The Casket of Ancient Winters never got a Norse name.

But all those Norse names were just common words, which often lose in translation. "Mjolnir," for example, translates as "grinder" or "crusher." "Sleipnir" means "slippy" or "the slipper." I'd rather have something be named in whichever language sounds better for the specific thing.

There is poetic appropriateness in naming Thor's new axe "Stormbreaker," though, just as there was for Beta Ray Bill's weapon. In each case a great storm of death was coming, and this weapon was made to help stop it. I thought I would dislike it replacing Mjolnir, and I still prefer the hammer; but the epicness of its forging, at nearly the cost of Thor's life, won me over. And Groot providing the finishing touch pleased me. He'd been an annoying brat for most of the movie, but at that moment took initiative to provide critical assistance at cost of pain to himself.

I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with anything I wrote above, mind you. ;)

Red Skull was the only true jaw-drop moment I had in the movie. Never saw that coming, and it made me happy. Might still be hope for Abomination's return some day. :)

But what really made me happy was Thor. I've been waiting a long time to see the real, awe-inspiring God of Thunder on the screen.

I like Ultimate Thor's hammer, and I like Beta Ray Bill. I just don't like the name Stormbreaker. It lacks any sense of cultural authenticity. It is as culturally tone-deaf as calling T'Challa's kingdom Wonder Valley instead of Wakanda.

Re: Red Skull - I got a kick out of seeing him again. It was a nice way to explain where he went when he grabbed the Teserract. And they did a good job of making him indistinguishable from Hugo Weaving's version.

2 minutes ago, zslane said:

I like Ultimate Thor's hammer, and I like Beta Ray Bill. I just don't like the name Stormbreaker. It lacks any sense of cultural authenticity. It is as culturally tone-deaf as calling T'Challa's kingdom Wonder Valley instead of Wakanda.

According to Google Translate, its name would be Stormbretar. 

You're welcome.

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Red Skull was the only true jaw-drop moment I had in the movie. Never saw that coming, and it made me happy. Might still be hope for Abomination's return some day. :)

But what really made me happy was Thor. I've been waiting a long time to see the real, awe-inspiring God of Thunder on the screen.

I truly expect, when replacing the Soul Gem to see Cap and Skull go over that cliff struggling in each others arms with Cap pulling them both over, shades of Richenbach Falls from Sherlock Holmes.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

According to Google Translate, its name would be Stormbretar. 

You're welcome.

It's not just the decidedly American/English name, it's that it doesn't follow the canonical manner in which such mythic items were named in Norse culture, particularly the use of -nir as the honorific suffix (roughly, "the One that" <verbs>..."the One that Crushes" (Mjolnir), "the One that Slides" (Gungnir), etc.).

50 minutes ago, zslane said:

It's not just the decidedly American/English name, it's that it doesn't follow the canonical manner in which such mythic items were named in Norse culture, particularly the use of -nir as the honorific suffix (roughly, "the One that" <verbs>..."the One that Crushes" (Mjolnir), "the One that Slides" (Gungnir), etc.).

So Stormbretnir, then.

You're welcome.  ;)

3 hours ago, zslane said:

Wouldn't it be ironic if "Wakanda" translates as "wonder valley." ?