How would you do these powers?

AJMile

The trailer for Ant-Man and The Wasp dropped today and I had a question about how they use their powers and how to best represent that in Champions.

The characters shrink and regrow repeatedly and quick succession. When they shrink they're incredibly hard to hit. How would you put that in? Speed, defense, Dex? I was just wondering how best to utilize those abilities and what would be the smartest way to conserve points in creating them? 

Thanks for your input. 

Being hard to hit is just extra DCV.  Buy it with the limitation  "only when shrunk" which is worth maybe -1/4. (You can expect the character to shrink in most combats so it's not a big limitation. -1/4 sounds right to me, but your GM may give you a bit more.) You could buy some extra DEX and Speed with the same limitation.

As for shrinking to avoid a hit: the rules allow for a character to abort to a defensive action or to activate a defensive power when they are attacked. Shrinking that increases your DCV counts as a defensive power. So the bad guy takes a swing, Wasp Aborts to Shrink, and her DCV goes through the roof.

I'm sure other folks will chime in with their own ideas.

Cheers. ?

Since Shrinking already increases the person's DCV, I don't see much need to purchase extra DCV beyond that, especially at the level that Ant Man and Wasp likely have.  But YMMV. 

I'd expect some Shrinking Tricks, like additional HtH damage when he/she grows from a Shrunk state.  See the Power Tricks under Shrinking (6E1:282), also the Size Alteration Powers listing in the Champions Powers book.  (For instance, Pebbles Into Boulders is perfect for the trick with the giant salt shaker in the trailer.)

Specifically, to simulate the trick of going from shrunk to full size to hit with growth velocity, then immediately shrink again, I'd modify the 6E1 writeup slightly as:  HA +6d6 (assuming the character has 6 levels of Shrinking), HtH Attack (-1/4), Proportional (amount of HA depends on how much Shrinking he has on; -1/2), Only Works Against Properly-Positioned Opponents (-1/4), and NOT include the Lockout since he's immediately going small again.  While the SFX is that he's turning off his Shrinking temporarily, the game effect is that he maintains his shrunk DCV since it's only off for an instant.

You don't need to link a DCV increase to the Shrinking power. The SFX of the DCV is simply the character rapidly shrinking and returning to normal size during the course of the fight. I would, however, limit it to attacks you are aware of. A sniper's bullet should not be so easily dodged unless you are aware of it or have senses to detect such an action.

It's Hero so there must be lots of ways to do this.

I agree with Bolo that the character simply remains Shrunk, and that instantaneous Growth is only the special effect of an attack power, so why not a simple HTH attack which is Linked to Shrinking.  As long as he is fully Shrunk - let's say 8 levels, which makes him about 1 centimeter long - he can immediately regain full size for a Punch fueled by growth momentum that adds 8d6 to his STR damage.  The SFX is instantaneous return to full size and shrinking back, but he never (mechanically) stops being Shrunken, so he keeps the DCV.

But he does lose the advantage of that -12 PER rolls against - he used an Obvious power that draws attention to him.

23 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

It's Hero so there must be lots of ways to do this.

I agree with Bolo that the character simply remains Shrunk, and that instantaneous Growth is only the special effect of an attack power, so why not a simple HTH attack which is Linked to Shrinking.  As long as he is fully Shrunk - let's say 8 levels, which makes him about 1 centimeter long - he can immediately regain full size for a Punch fueled by growth momentum that adds 8d6 to his STR damage.  The SFX is instantaneous return to full size and shrinking back, but he never (mechanically) stops being Shrunken, so he keeps the DCV.

But he does lose the advantage of that -12 PER rolls against - he used an Obvious power that draws attention to him.

Agreed about the "lots of ways to do this."  (Give three Hero gamers something you want simulated, and you'll probably get 4 or more different ways to do it.)

Excellent point about the PER thing as well.

And technically, I wouldn't use Linked.  I'd think the Proportional takes care of that.  (If you don't have Shrinking on, then it's +0d6.)

18 hours ago, AJMile said:

Thanks, everyone. I am going to play around with these ideas and see what works out. I really appreciate your help and I have become a little regretful that I hadn't found these forums sooner. 

Oh, just give us a little time, and we'll probably make you regret that you have found these forums...  :winkgrin:

I would buy the limitation for either -0 or -1/4 (ask your GM) that the power can only be used in a place where you can be full sized.  Thus if you see a rat in a pipe and think you might punch it away, you might want to reconsider.

Another thing I gave my Naruto-Konoha ninjas which is applicable is the triggered power.  For the ninja, its a set trigger to teleport with invisible power effects triggered when they successfully block, dodge or dive for cover.  You could do the same thing for shrinking (since shrinking doesn't affect movement). 

I'd also suggest getting flying dodge, a broken martial maneuver in my eyes but it's designed that way by Steve Long.  With it, you get a combo dive for cover and dodge all it one with the added bonus that the movement doesn't incur a penalty for distance travelled nor make you 1/2 DCV when you use it to abort out of an area of effect.