The Sailor Senshi are in Pittsburgh

Mark Rand

51 minutes ago, drunkonduty said:

Is it just me or are these girls moving around a lot?

I've been considering various cities as their home.  Being a Pittsburgher, I've settled on Pittsburgh.  Having it attacked by Dr. Destroyer's giant rocks lets be make some changes to it.

5 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

Nope, nothing from Marvel, just the Champions Universe and Digital Hero Magazine.

Was talking about the setting. Well, not the setting exactly. About "past use of Pittsburgh in a comic book".

No, they're staying in Pittsburgh.  Thanks to tax breaks, the city's been rebuilt according to a well thought out plan that included renovating the infrastructure.  The Three Rivers Queen, based on The Bayside Blimp, from Digital Hero 12 floats over the city, PRIMUS has its local headquarters near Station Square, and the Shinto shrine Sailor Mars is a miko at is at Hobart Street and Guarino Road on the edge of Schenley Park.

Akiko (Sailor Mars) attends Saint Edmund's Academy (K-8) on Darlington Road.  Although it has no religious affiliation, they attend Chapel on Thursday mornings.

The other Inner Senshi attend Colfax School (K-8) and will attend Taylor Allderdice High School (9-12).

Amy (Sailor Mercury) is a Conservative Jew and worships at B'nai Israel, where New Light Congregation was before they merged with Tree of Life *Or L'Simcha, the synagogue I attended for over 30-years.  She also goes to the Jewish Community Center.

During the rebuilding of the city, and Allegheny County, Pittsburgh Light Rail, commonly known as "The T", was extended along Forbes Avenue, into Oakland and Squirrel Hill, along Penn Avenue, into East Liberty, and to Pittsburgh International Airport.

There are four drawbridges along the Monongahela River, including two lift bridges, and seven drawbridges along the Allegheny River, including three lift bridges.  Four of the seven drawbridges on the Allegheny are close enough to each other so that they are controlled from an apartment in the Encore on Seventh.

The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center bought out the financially-troubled Allegheny Health Network after the state government passed a law prohibiting hospitals from being owned by, or owning, insurance companies.  At the same time AHN's Life Flight became part of STAT Medevac, a service of The Center for Emergency Medicine of Western Pennsylvania.

One idea I had was that, seeing an increase in street crime, Amy's mother had her trained in martial arts by a friend of hers.  He chose ninjutsu, which she quickly picked up.  As Sailor Mercury, Amy keeps some needed gear, including her portable computer, in "hammerspace".

11 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

One idea I had was that, seeing an increase in street crime, Amy's mother had her trained in martial arts by a friend of hers.  He chose ninjutsu, which she quickly picked up.  As Sailor Mercury, Amy keeps some needed gear, including her portable computer, in "hammerspace".

Redundant, since they already have "Lunaspace".

7 hours ago, Mark Rand said:

What's "Lunaspace"?

It's where the Sailor Senshi keep all there wands, costumes, ECT when they are in there normal idenity. Also, it is where Luna and Artemis keeps all the stuff they give the girls.

Lunaspace is basically a renamed hammerspace.

Okay.  Though, in the 1990s series, Serena kept the Moonstick, and, possibly, her disguise pen, in her purse in her civilian identity and all kept their communicators in theirs. 

At present, their communicators, and Amy's computer, might be disguised as smart phones.

In the original, Sailor Mars' avocation is as a second-level priestess (a post known as a Miko, loosely described as "shrine Maiden" in English)at a local Shinto shrine. She is, however, the only person on the team who is all that religious. Since there are no fully-operational shrines in Pennsylvania as I understand it, we'd have to find her a calling elsewhere; which probably means she was have to represent some form of Christianity.

The only alternative-world American version of the Miko that I can think of is being a novice nun, and that wouldn't fit her personality very well (she's a lot more exuberant than your typical novice, and Shrine Maidens don't have to take vows of celibacy).

On 5/17/2018 at 4:24 AM, Mark Rand said:

Okay.  Though, in the 1990s series, Serena kept the Moonstick, and, possibly, her disguise pen, in her purse in her civilian identity and all kept their communicators in theirs. 

At present, their communicators, and Amy's computer, might be disguised as smart phones.

I haven't seen it, but there is a remake of the series running now in Japan called Sailor Moon Crystal. If you want modern examples of what they do with their "tech", this would probably be a good start.

The "Luna Pen" that Serena uses to disguise herself does not depend on her actually being Sailor Moon. She can use it anytime, and indeed that's when it's most useful. she used it most often to disguise her age and get into places only adults can go. It provides the same sort of impenetrable disguise that the costume provides.

To an outside observer, the Senshi would look nothing like their original forms because it's part of the magic. thus masks are not needed, although Venus in her Sailor V identity wears one anyway because it looks cool.

While, in reality, there are no Shinto shrines in Pennsylvania,  in the game, one could've been funded by a wealthy family who also gave them the land for it, or helped them buy an old church or synagogue to convert into one.  I do know that the Zen Center of Pittsburgh, a Soto Zen Buddhist Temple, is located on Willow Ridge Road, northwest of Bell Acres Recreation Park.   

I have Sailor Moon Crystal on DVD and there are some good ideas in it.  Question, how popular are video game parlors? 

1 hour ago, Mark Rand said:

I have Sailor Moon Crystal on DVD and there are some good ideas in it.  Question, how popular are video game parlors? 

Right now, there are not that many traditional video game arcades active in America today. What we have today are small arcades in bowling sites with ticket machines, Chuck E Cheese and Dave And Busters, and "beercades" combo bars and free play arcades.

But Crown could exist as an entertainment complex. "Fruit Parlor Crown" on one side, "Crown Arcade" on another, "Crown Karioki" at a third side, and "Movie King Crown" theater on a fourth side.

7 hours ago, steriaca said:

Right now, there are not that many traditional video game arcades active in America today. What we have today are small arcades in bowling sites with ticket machines, Chuck E Cheese and Dave And Busters, and "beercades" combo bars and free play arcades.

But Crown could exist as an entertainment complex. "Fruit Parlor Crown" on one side, "Crown Arcade" on another, "Crown Karioki" at a third side, and "Movie King Crown" theater on a fourth side.

Or along one street.  Forward Avenue, between Shady and Murray has a lot of closed-down businesses, including the Squirrel Hill Theater, where I watched a number of films, and Forward Lanes, where I bowled a lot.  We could add an ice cream parlor and other things and make it one complex.  A door the Senshi know about leads down to their secret headquarters, a meeting room with computer equipment and a library that Amy uses for research.  Serena looked through a couple of books and complained that there were no pictures.   

1 hour ago, Mark Rand said:

Or along one street.  Forward Avenue, between Shady and Murray has a lot of closed-down businesses, including the Squirrel Hill Theater, where I watched a number of films, and Forward Lanes, where I bowled a lot.  We could add an ice cream parlor and other things and make it one complex.  A door the Senshi know about leads down to their secret headquarters, a meeting room with computer equipment and a library that Amy uses for research.  Serena looked through a couple of books and complained that there were no pictures.   

That's our Serena.

Akiko could be a very religious Orthodox Jew who lives with her grandfather, the rabbi of Congregation Poale Zedeck and attends the Jewish Community Day School.  Amy, on the other hand, is a not very religious Conservative Jew who attends B'nai Israel Congregation and lives in the Maxon Towers.  She uses the building's athletic facilities and keeps her bicycle in the building garage.