Marvel Character Write Ups

Hey there! 

I recently got into the Hero System and I've got a character concept (Ghost Rider type of Origin) and I wanted to see how some people built Comic book Characters, like how they went about the transformation and also how much they might cost. I found a Ghost Rider Sheet but I don't know if it was built for Hero System 6th Edition.

I'm actually thinking of Multiform, Sentry, which is partially why i wanted to see other sheets using it.

I've looked at both of those Eepsjr. I wasn't sure if that Ghost Rider was 5e or 6e, which is why i didn't want to rely on it too much. As for Surbook's site, it doesn't have the characters i was looking for.

15 hours ago, TeeEight said:

I'm actually thinking of Multiform, Sentry, which is partially why i wanted to see other sheets using it.

I've looked at both of those Eepsjr. I wasn't sure if that Ghost Rider was 5e or 6e, which is why i didn't want to rely on it too much. As for Surbook's site, it doesn't have the characters i was looking for.

I think your instincts are on point.  Like anything in HERO, there's more than one way to do it but I think Multiform is the straight up way to make a character that has 2 (or more) distinct entities in the same body...seems like this concept is crying out for it.

You're basically going to be making 2 completely different characters.  One character will be rather mundane normal human and the other character will be your ass kicking spirit of vengeance :)

Either character can be designated the "true" form and either may pay for the cost of the Multiform.  In this case I would be inclined to pay for the Multiform cost on the "spirit of vengeance" side of the coin but designate the human as the "true" form.  The only reason I would pay for it on the "spirit of vengeance" side is because you'll have a very hard time spending 400 points on a "normal" human and not having him look like a super ;)

45 minutes ago, sentry0 said:

I think your instincts are on point.  Like anything in HERO, there's more than one way to do it but I think Multiform is the straight up way to make a character that has 2 (or more) distinct entities in the same body...seems like this concept is crying out for it.

You're basically going to be making 2 completely different characters.  One character will be rather mundane normal human and the other character will be your ass kicking spirit of vengeance :)

Either character can be designated the "true" form and either may pay for the cost of the Multiform.  In this case I would be inclined to pay for the Multiform cost on the "spirit of vengeance" side of the coin but designate the human as the "true" form.  The only reason I would pay for it on the "spirit of vengeance" side is because you'll have a very hard time spending 400 points on a "normal" human and not having him look like a super ;)

I was actually thinking that! I'd have my Human Side as the True Form which is honestly the idea. Your advice actually gives me an idea on something but I'll have to ask my GM about it. But yes, i see why... Though i'd have to ask my GM that as well. 

I appreciate the advice, if you've got more, please keep them coming.

1 hour ago, TeeEight said:

I was actually thinking that! I'd have my Human Side as the True Form which is honestly the idea. Your advice actually gives me an idea on something but I'll have to ask my GM about it. But yes, i see why... Though i'd have to ask my GM that as well. 

I appreciate the advice, if you've got more, please keep them coming.

Ha, well another way to build the character...

• Use ""Only in Alternate ID" on your powers/characteristics to represent your second form
  • Buy Instant Change as described earlier
  • Buy Psy Lims to mimic the fact that there's 2 distinct personalities

I kinda feel like Multiform is a cleaner (and arguably more appropriate) way to do it but the munchkin in me knows that this way would be cheaper ;)

1 minute ago, Cassandra said:

It was Matt's 250 Points Project that inspired me to build my Templates.  His builds were impressive, but I thought they lacked the attack and defense powers to make them viable. 

That's unfortunate but hey, never hurts to modify them if possible.

For a 2 form character(normal and Super) I would go with Only in Alternate ID aka OIAID a -1/4 limitation
you pay full price for all common stuff and any stuff the hero form can do gets the limitation

My super hero Wraith is built this way

Yeah, Captain Marvel is pretty much the poster boy for Only in Alternate ID, but Ghost Rider is a good example too. Multiform might be more appropriate for characters who have powers in both forms that differ significantly, or entirely different personas/psychology. I think I'd favor that approach for Jason Blood/Etrigan. Of course, in HERO there's generally not One True Way to build any given character, it's a matter of interpretation.

If you mean Fawcett's (and later DC's) Captain Marvel, then you are correct. On the other hand, Marvel's original Captain Marvel became a definite multiform (when he and exoskeleton-wearing Rick Jones would exchange places so one could do whatever while the other waited in a limbo dimension).

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:38 AM, sentry0 said:

you'll have a very hard time spending 400 points on a "normal" human and not having him look like a super ;)

hhhmmmmm.......

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says look what you did now....

10 hours ago, Lucius said:

hhhmmmmm.......

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says look what you did now....

Easy for a billionaire with yachts, private planes and company facilities around the world.

Harder for a nomadic guy on a motorbike.

Still... build him as a standard old 175 point normal. Add his bike for, say, 25 points.

He probably should be the one paying for the multiform. Otherwise the spirit of vengeance is paying points for the ability to become weaker. What's that? 80 points?

280 points for normal guy so far. Nothing too weird.

What now? A gun? A ramshackle trailer in the middle of nowhere? A bunch more contacts based on his nomadic lifestyle? Another 40 points here, for a running total of 320.

Actually, he could easily have some mildly superhuman abilities, even if he doesn't know it. His Other Half might be able to provide its host some protection. Nothing too radical, just enough to keep him alive in a pinch. Say, some resistant protection and a bit of mental defense or similar. 20 points? Running total 340.

Struggling now.

The guy isn't "really" normal, of course. Being possessed by a demon tends to do that. But there's only so much that can be done.

Maybe boost up his characteristics somewhat. "Normal" means "cinematic normal", after all. A bit more Dex, Spd, OCV, DCV, PD, ED, Stun, Body will help him survive without being noticeable. We could burn 50 points here easily. 390.

And the other 10 points is rounding error.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:38 AM, sentry0 said:

you'll have a very hard time spending 400 points on a "normal" human and not having him look like a super ;)

She likes it when you say she looks super, but she doesn't necessarily believe it.

Norma Lee Pearson

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 11- Lift 100.0kg; 2d6

13 DEX 6 12- OCV: 4/DCV: 5

18 CON 8 13-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

18 EGO 8 13- ECV: 4 - 5

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

4 OCV 5

5 DCV 10

4 OMCV 3

5 DMCV 6

4 SPD 20 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

20 PD 9 Total: 20 PD (9 rPD)

20 ED 9 Total: 20 ED (9 rED)

6 REC 2

30 END 2

12 BODY 2

30 STUN 5 Total Characteristic Cost: 102

Movement: Running: 7m/14m

Leaping: 4m/8m

Swimming: 2m/4m

Cost Powers END

Just Lucky I Guess

20 1) Wish me Luck!: (Total: 20 Active Cost, 20 Real Cost) Luck 4d6 (Real Cost: 20) 0

18 2) That could have Killed me!: (Total: 18 Active Cost, 18 Real Cost) Combat Luck (9 PD/9 ED) (Real Cost: 18) 0

21 3) Lucky to be Alive!: (Total: 75 Active Cost, 21 Real Cost) Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Only Works Against Damage that would reduce to Zero or less BODy (-¾), BODY) Only (-½) (Real Cost: 7) plus Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Only Works Against Damage that would reduce to Zero or less BODy (-¾), BODY) Only (-½) (Real Cost: 7) plus Does Not Bleed (15 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -¾), Concentration (0 DCV; -½) (Real Cost: 7) [1]

I Stay in Shape

4 1) Efficient Breath Holding: (Total: 10 Active Cost, 4 Real Cost) Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) (10 Active Points); Time Limit (5 Minutes; -1 ½), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -¼) (Real Cost: 4) 0

6 2) I Heal Well: (Total: 6 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) Regeneration (3 BODY per Week) (Real Cost: 6) 0

No One Knows

28 1) Perfectly Ordinary Norma Pearson is Really......: (Total: 85 Active Cost, 28 Real Cost) Multiform (400 Character Points in the most expensive form) (Instant Change) (85 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -¾), Concentration (0 DCV; -½), Restrainable (-½), Incantations ("This looks like a job for ____"; -¼) (Real Cost: 28) 0

Ineffective Flailing

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 Running And Ducking -- +4 Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove

4 Yikes! Don't hit me! -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 Let Go! +0 +0 35 STR vs. Grabs

3 Trip and Fall +2 +1 4d6 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls

5 Hey, it Worked! +0 +0 Grab Weapon, 25 STR to take weapon away; Target Falls

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Perks

0 Hi, I'm Nobody

3 1) Trust me, I'm insignificant.: Anonymity

3 2) I get by: Money: Well Off

Skills

3 "It's a Living" Jack of All Trades

2 1) PS: Current Profession (3 Active Points) 13-

1 2) PS: Former Profession (2 Active Points) 11-

3 "Just a few Phrases..." Linguist

1 1) Language: American Sign Language (basic conversation)

1 2) Language: Esperanto (basic conversation)

1 3) Language: Japanese (basic conversation)

2 4) Language: Spanish (fluent conversation; literate) (3 Active Points)

3 "Please don't think I"m a Nerd" Scientist

1 1) Science Skill: Abnormal Psychology 11- (2 Active Points)

1 2) Science Skill: Biology 11- (2 Active Points)

3 "So I like to Read Stuff" Scholar

1 1) KS: Current Events (2 Active Points) 11-

2 2) KS: Obscure Trivia (3 Active Points) 12-

1 3) KS: Popular Culture (2 Active Points) 11-

1 4) KS: Superstuff (heroes, villains, powers, etc.) (2 Active Points) 11-

0 I do Keep Fit

3 1) Climbing 12-

5 2) Breakfall 13-

5 3) "I do Yoga": Contortionist 13-

0 I went to Camp as a Kid

2 1) Riding 10-

16 2) Survival (Arctic/Subarctic, Marine, Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical, Desert, Mountain, Underground, Urban) 13-

3 3) Tracking 13-

3 4) Navigation (Land, Marine) 13-

0 I'm Perfectly Ordinary

5 1) I try to Get Along with Everyone: Charm 13-

3 2) Fasten your Seatbelts: Combat Driving 12-

7 3) Who me?!: Acting 14-

3 4) Look what I found!: Concealment 13-

3 5) You're so interesting, please tell me more: Conversation 12-

3 6) Just a Lucky Guess: Deduction 13-

7 7) Who doesn't like Fun and Games?: Gambling (Board Games, Card Games, Dice Games, Horse Racing) 13-

3 8) Minding my Manners: High Society 12-

3 9) Just stuck a Hairpin in it and Wiggled it Around: Lockpicking 12-

5 10) Took a Class at the Red Cross: Paramedics 14-

7 11) I'm just Easy to Overlook: Stealth 14-

7 12) May I Please _______?: Persuasion 14-

12 13) Just Lucky I Guess: +1 Overall

0 I Took a Couple Self-Defense Type Classes

10 1) Defense Maneuver I-IV

3 2) WF: Small Arms, Blades

20 3) +2 with All Attacks

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 297

Total Cost: 399

400+ Matching Complications

325 Base Points

15 Social Complication: Secret ID Frequently, Major

10 Hunted: Rogues Gallery Infrequently (Mo Pow; Mildly Punish (take hostage, rob, etc))

15 Psychological Complication: Self-effacing (Very Common; Moderate)

30 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect PRE Attacks (Very Common)

5 Unluck: 1d6

Total Complications Points: 399

I actually did a 400 pt character and forget to include the Multiform - I had to add that in then go in and tweak tweak tweak to get it all balanced.....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says in other words the tough part was getting it DOWN to under 400 pts....

28 minutes ago, Lucius said:

actually did a 400 pt character and forget to include the Multiform - I had to add that in then go in and tweak tweak tweak to get it all balanced.....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says in other words the tough part was getting it DOWN to under 400 pts....

Very nice, but hey, I said you would have a hard time doing it not that it would be impossible ;)

2 hours ago, sentry0 said:

Very nice, but hey, I said you would have a hard time doing it not that it would be impossible ;)

Sorry, had to get in on the normal build :)

Jose is designed as a hispanic american who got into a little trouble when a teenager.  He enlisted into the Army after high school and after two tours in the middle east, came home to start a automotive repair garage.  He owns a regular car and a pickup truck which he takes hunting/fishing/camping.  His other hobby is he does amateur boxing at his gym.  He's married with two kids and a dog.  He's a NRA member, Republican, and believes in the good ole USA.

Jose Chavez

Player: 

Val    Char    Cost
15    STR    5
15    DEX    10
15    CON    5
15    BODY    5
15    INT    5
15    EGO    5
15    PRE    5

5    OCV    10

5    DCV    10

5    OMCV    6

5    DMCV    6
5    PD    3
3    ED    1
3    SPD    10
6    REC    2
30    END    2
30    STUN    5

14m    RUN    2
4m    SWIM    0
4m    LEAP    0
Characteristics Cost: 97

Cost    Power
14    Automatic Pistol: Killing Attack - Ranged 1 1/2d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) (31 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Knockback (-1/4), 2 clips of 12 Charges (-0)
35    Assault Rifle: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2) (80 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Knockback (-1/4), 4 clips of 32 Charges (+1/2)
22    Shotgun, Hunting: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Area Of Effect (1m Radius; +1/4) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), 8 Charges (-1/2), Reduced Penetration (-1/4)
4    Knife: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1/2d6 (1 1/2d6 w/STR) (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Knockback (-1/4)
9    Crowbar/Large Spanner: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (1 1/2d6 w/STR), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (19 Active Points); OAF (-1)
9    Flashlight: Sight Group Images, +/-4 to PER Rolls (27 Active Points); OAF (-1), Only To Create Light (-1), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 6 Hours (+1/4)
2    Watch: Absolute Time Sense (3 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
20    Luck 4d6
Powers Cost: 115

Cost    Martial Arts Maneuver
    Boxing, Modern
4    1)  Block:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4    2)  Cross:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 5d6 Strike
3    3)  Jab:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +1 DCV,  3d6 Strike
    Surviving a middle east tour
5    1)  Flying Dodge:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove
4    2)  Basic Shot:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +2, Strike, +2 DC
Martial Arts Cost: 20

Cost    Skill
3    +1 with Boxing
5    +1 with firearms
4    +2 to offset range negative OCV modifier with firearms
3    CK: Home City 12-
3    Climbing 12-
3    Combat Driving 12-
5    Gambling (Sports Betting, Blackjack, Craps, Poker) 12-
2    KS: Basketball team 11-
4    KS: Boxing Greats and their fights 13-
4    KS: Cars 13-
2    KS: Catholic Religion 11-
2    KS: Hispanic History 10-
2    KS: Hockey Team 11-
4    KS: Major Season Favorite Sports Team (football) 13-
3    KS: Off Season Favorite Sports Team (baseball) 12-
1    Language:  Arabic (basic conversation)
2    Language:  Spanish (fluent conversation)
1    Lockpicking 8-
3    Mechanics 12-
2    Navigation (Land) 12-
2    PS: Amateur Boxer 11-
2    PS: Army Reserves 10-
4    PS: Car mechanic 13-
2    PS: Fisherman 11-
2    PS: Hunter 11-
3    Streetwise 12-
3    Survival 12-
Skills Cost: 76

Cost    Perk
5    Fringe Benefit:  International Driver's License, Passport, Sergeant, Weapon Permit (where appropriate)
20    Vehicles Car and Pickup
20    Bases Home
15    Bases Garage
10    Bases Camper Trailer
4    Contact:  Former Gang Buddy (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) 11-
6    Contact:  Best Friend (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact) 12-
Perks Cost: 80

Cost    Talent
12    Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)
Talents Cost: 12

Total Character Cost: 400

Pts.    Disadvantage
5    Distinctive Features:  Tattoos (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
5    Social Complication:  Minor criminal background  (gang related) Infrequently, Minor
5    Social Complication:  Army Reservist Infrequently, Minor
10    DNPC:  Wife Frequently (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)
25    DNPC:  Son and Daughter Frequently (Incompetent; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)
10    DNPC:  Dog Frequently (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)
10    Psychological Complication:  Nationalist (Common; Moderate)
5    Unluck: 1d6
Disadvantage Points: 75
Base Points: 400
Experience Required: 0
Total Experience Available: 0
Experience Unspent: 0