Question about published villain origins

Tech

Are there any published villains who, in their past, were seriously injured but then due to the wonders of modern science/drugs gained superpowers (and of course got healed)? If so, which ones? I'm thinking of making an Champions game with this in mind.

Interesting premise.

I can think of a few offhand, and can probably find more with some research. Cyborg villains are the first ones that come to my mind. The master villain Interface (Champions Villains Vol. 1), and the VIPER staff supers Halfjack and Ripper (VIPER: Coils Of The Serpent) were all critically injured but saved by having large portions of their bodies replaced with machinery. Another VIPER villain, Oculon, was blinded, then had his eyes replaced with transplants from an alien corpse, resulting in powerful eye beams.

I'll poke around a little, see who else I can find. :)

All right, let me run down what I've found so far.

Champions Villains Vol. 1: Master Villains. Slither is one of King Cobra's minions, a former VIPER agent who lost an arm and a leg, but had them regenerated by Timothy Blank (KIng Cobra), also gaining body-morphing powers.

Champions Villains Vol. 2: Villain Teams. The Overbrain, leader of the group The Brain Trust, was dying of cancer, but developed a means for his brain to survive outside his body. His changed state also unleashed psionic powers. Another Brain Trust member, Mr. Zombie, was actually dead until chemicals from the Overbrain's experiments leached into his grave, reanimating him with super-strength and resilience.

Ultrasonique is a member of Eurostar, blinded in an accident, who invented a sonar device to compensate for his blindness, as well as a sonic battlesuit. Red Winter includes another cyborg, Drago, a Russian Spetznaz soldier rebuilt after severe wounding.

That's all the sources I have time to check at the moment. I'll look at some of my other books later, see if I can come up with anyone else.

37 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

That brings up a question I should have asked at the start: "published" where? For Sixth Edition Champions, or earlier? Part of the current official CU continuity, or that's not necessary? Hero Games publications, or by other licensed parties?

Good point. Published anywhere by Hero Games.  I want to avoid magic origins.