Floating Islands

John Desmarais

So I've recently started up a new Pulp Hero game - 1938 set in and among the South Pacific islands (think Tales of the Gold Monkey) and saw this headline Floating island the size of New Jersey discovered in South Pacific, which immediately grabbed my attention.  Read through the article and was a bit disappointed, but it got me looking for more information on floating islands.  Found lots of info on small floating islands in rivers and lakes that are basically small islands  composed of vegetation growing on a buoyant mat of plant roots or other organic detritus - still not as cool as what I wanted.  Finally came across this article - http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/floating-islands-seen-sea-myth-and-reality-part-2-001931 - which was closer to what I was hoping for (although the reality still didn't live up to my fantasy).

Anyway, the end result was our heroes found themselves chasing an Army Air Corps colonel who had stolen a piece of new military tech to deliver into Nazi hands on a floating island covered in unrecognizable vegetation and giant crabs.  The chase ended when the captain of the German sub caught sight of them on the coast and fired a torpedo at them.  Our heroes managed to run away intake to escape the blast radius, but the torpedo sunk the island.

On 5/9/2018 at 8:48 AM, John Desmarais said:

So I've recently started up a new Pulp Hero game - 1938 set in and among the South Pacific islands (think Tales of the Gold Monkey) and saw this headline Floating island the size of New Jersey discovered in South Pacific, which immediately grabbed my attention.  Read through the article and was a bit disappointed, but it got me looking for more information on floating islands.  Found lots of info on small floating islands in rivers and lakes that are basically small islands  composed of vegetation growing on a buoyant mat of plant roots or other organic detritus - still not as cool as what I wanted.  Finally came across this article - http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/floating-islands-seen-sea-myth-and-reality-part-2-001931 - which was closer to what I was hoping for (although the reality still didn't live up to my fantasy).

Anyway, the end result was our heroes found themselves chasing an Army Air Corps colonel who had stolen a piece of new military tech to deliver into Nazi hands on a floating island covered in unrecognizable vegetation and giant crabs.  The chase ended when the captain of the German sub caught sight of them on the coast and fired a torpedo at them.  Our heroes managed to run away intake to escape the blast radius, but the torpedo sunk the island.

I remember reading a sci-fantasy book called "Fata Morgana"(??) that dealt with a floating island that was mostly a volcanic stone that floats. They had to scape bio contamination off too keep floating...if you can find it it might spark some ideas...

• 2 months later...