Gestures, Extra Limbs, and Grappling

Sveta

Question

Quickish questions! Looking through what I've managed, I've yet to be able to answer these or find answers.

First off, can Gestures only be done with the hands? RAW I can't find indication of otherwise. Was thinking something such as a sumo's hold and long stomp to activate something might be neat, but that would be bound to the legs, rather than hands. Or a Headbanger prepping for a Sonic blast of sorts. So, are Gestures "slotted" exclusively for the hands, or more open? Or as many things, ask the GM.

On that point, Gestures states that if a character is Grabbed or restrained, they are unable to use a power with Gestures. Grabbing someone however seems to indicate that it targets two limbs (head, legs, arms, ect...) So does it infact disable all Gestures, or Gestures can be "slotted" to different limbs, do those limbs have to be Grabbed/Restrained for those powers to cease functioning?

Furthermore, Extra Limbs! If one takes Extra Limbs and grows more arms (or legs or whatever if Gestures applies to what have you), does a gesture have to be then tied to a specific limb? That... made more sense in my head. Example for clarification. Presume someone has four arms, and has Gestures on a power. Using that power, would they still have three functional arms to use? Beyond that, with the added -1/4 to use both hands, does it only tie up two of their arms, or all of them? Beyond even that if a cheeky player played keep away with their limbs on a larger character, growing them out of their neck or what have you, to perform their Gestures, would that work? Probably would reduce the value of Gestures, but I'm not certain!

EDIT:
Realized something before this had been answered. What about full body Gestures? Think something like the Maori War Dance, or simpler things like a jumping jack, or a Charlie Brown Dance. Is that what is meant by using both hands, or is that something else? Granted most Dance or similar thing would need Extra Time to finish and probably Concentration. Some demented Power Up Hokey-Pokey. Dunno. Is that it's own thing, or just a conglomerate of other limitations?

And while I'm remembering, if one can assign gestures to limbs, could one mix and match limbs? Throw the horns and headbang for some Rocker based hero of some sort. Then again, with those concepts Gestures and Restrainable have a wee bit of overlap. Hrmm. And if one's gestures are capable of being done only by arms, what about ambidexterity? Would you only be able to gesture with the dominant or non-dominant hands, depending on what you used? If so, would make Ambidextrous more handy at times! Suppose that is more GM question than overarching though, but cans of worms do what they do.

1 answer to this question

Gestures require the use of a hand or hands — or, if you prefer to be non-humanocentric about it, one or more limbs with full manipulation. The GM can permit characters to use other limbs, but if so it’s up to him to answer any rules questions that come up.

Regarding the issue of which limbs are Grabbed versus which limbs are used for Gestures — that’s up to the GM to decide based on common sense. Sometimes the nature of the Maneuver, or some other specific rule, provides helpful information. For example, a Choke Hold always Grabs the head, so it probably doesn’t stop the victim from using his hands for Gestures — but as always, the final decision is up to the GM.

Regarding the issue of having more manipulable limbs via Extra Limbs — Gestures are not “bound” to a specific limb. If a character has multiple manipulable limbs, he can use any one (or two) of them to perform Gestures. The GM can typically handle any issues that arise with a little common and dramatic sense. ;)