How to Build: Dancing weapons?

Ragitsu

2446.jpg

Simply put, a dancing (some term it "flying") weapon can hover and fight autonomously once commanded to do so. I assume it has its own skill/OCV and of course DCV (which ought to be higher than the default starting figure because of its slender profile). There are two specific varieties I am interested in: one that acts for a set duration and one that continuously battles until its objectives are met. Should anyone other than the owner or a designated ally manage to seize the dancing weapon, it will struggle to free itself from capture. If the weapon is successfully hit by a "dispel magic" effect and the resulting contest of the weapon's inherent magic and the negating force is lost, the weapon loses its ability to function independently (along with any other mystical property such as enhanced damage or unerring accuracy). No matter what nefarious mojo is applied to it, the weapon remains loyal to its previous owner.

Sounds like a Summon to me. Maybe the ghost of the original wielder is inside the sword until summoned by the current owner. Then his invisible, desolidified ghost form (with effects real world, only to wield the sword) comes out and uses the sword to do the owners bidding.  

If it's not using your Characteristics to attack, but rather, its own, Summon is probably the way to go.  You could also try a Compound Power looking something like this:

Dancing Sword (Compound Power) (Total: 167 Active Cost, 63 Real Cost)

28     Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6, Constant (+1/2), Persistent (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), (97 Active Points); OAF (-1), No STR Bonus (-1/2), Limited Power:  Power Does Not Use Caster's Characteristics (-1)

15     +6 OCV (30 Active Points); OAF (-1)

20     +8 DCV (40 Active Points); OAF (-1)

You probably have to build in SPD and DEX as well.  I don't know if this is a proper use (or cost) of the "Limited Power" limitation.  I'm sure someone with more knowledge than myself will come along to correct me.

Summon is probably the best way to do it, or a follower that multiforms from sword to flying sword that fights by its self.  Constant doesn't really work because of the nature of the attack, you have to either direct it to what it hits, or it just keeps hitting the same target over and over.  A summon/follower makes it truly an independent thing that fights intelligently.

A Dancing Sword is an Automaton (while it is Dancing at least).

I think it will be easier to build an Automaton that can be used as a Sword* than it will be to build a Sword that can become an Automaton.

To limit it's active time you could link all of it's characteristics related to action (STR, DEX, SPD, Flight, etc) to a shared Fuel Charge.

* (built more or less as a Weapon, but with Usable by Other and without Focus)

A more easily built and understood, but technically very illegal solution would be to use a Multipower Reserve. The first slot would be an Automaton Follower (which is blatently illegal and abusively cost effective); to limit its active time use a Fuel Charge on the entire slot. The second slot and subsequent slots would be its characteristics as a wielded weapon (HKA and HA for melee attacks, Blast if it shoots energy blasts like the Master Sword, etc). Obviously the automaton would also have to pay for any attacks it could perform while animate, but they could be different from its wielded attacks.

Summon, with the 'slavishly loyal' adder or however it is worded, and the summoned thing is an automaton as suggested above.

If it also functions as a sword you can wield yourself rather than have it "dance" on its own, build it as a compound power - Killing Attack with appropriate mods for the sword, then the summon.

Compound powers are fun, but care must be taken unless you just want to watch the Active Points grow!  ;)

I truly am missing something here. How is Summoning going to make the sword intelligent?

Because you're summoning a special kind of sword, not just a piece of metal.  There are two basic ways to do it as noted above:

1. Invisible desolid person wielding a sword (STR affects real world)
  2. Automaton sword with flight that is able to fight for you

Either one gives you the effect of a sword which you can either wield, or toss and it fights for its self.  There's a mod for Skyrim called Lemina Mortis that simulates this really well.  I'd do it as follower rather than summon, though (summoning requires battle of wills and a delay before they can act, follower with multiform is instantly useful and self-acting in your benefit).

Here is how I would build the sword.  It can float and fight by its self but is a construct that cannot be stunned etc.  This is the deluxe version that can think for its self and talk to its master.  When not fighting by its self it multiforms into a broadsword with +1 OCV and damage.  Because of the usual automaton abilities, its kind of expensive (105 points just to be an inanimate object and not need to breathe, etc, plus all the 0 END mods).  The base sword would have a 1½d6 KA physical, +2 OCV,  for 35 active points, plus the multiform of 62 active points (285 for the sword, +5 for instant change) with the usual sword limitations such as OAF and Real Weapon applied.

Built as a follower this would allow a character to wield a slightly powerful magic sword that they could then command to become self-fighting.

Dancing Sword

Val   Char   Cost    Roll     Notes

13    DEX       6       12-      OCV:  5/DCV:  3

10    INT        0       11-      PER Roll 11-

10    EGO      0       11-      ECV:  2 - 2

5     OCV     10     

3     DCV      0      

2     OMCV -3     

2     DMCV -3     

3     SPD      10                  Phases:  4, 8, 12

Total Characteristics Points: 20

Movement:         Flight:  12m/24m

Cost   Powers                                                                                     END

45      Takes No STUN (loses abilities when takes BODY)             0

15      Does Not Bleed                                                                           0

10      No Hit Locations                                                                        0

35      Sword:  Life Support  (Eating: Character does not eat;        0

Immunity All terrestrial poisons; Immunity: All terrestrial

diseases; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation;

Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low

Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping:

Character does not sleep)

63      Made of metal:  Resistant Protection (8 PD/6 ED)               0

24      Magical Vision:  Sight Group Flash Defense (8 points)       0

27      Hover:  Flight 12m, Usable Swimming (+¼), Reduced         0

Endurance (0 END; +½), Invisible Power Effects

(Inobvious to sight, hearing; +½) (27 Active Points)         

5         Link to Master:  Mind Link , One Specific Mind                    0

37      Blade:  Multipower, 25-point reserve, all slots Reduced      0

Endurance (0 END; +½) (37 Active Points)     

2f       1)  Blade Edge:  Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 ½d6

(25 Active Points) 

2f       2)  Blade Flat:  Hand-To-Hand Attack +5d6 (25 Active

Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-¼) 

Total Powers & Skill Cost:  265

Total Cost:  285

Points   Complications

15         Physical Complication:  Small and light (Frequently; Slightly Impairing)

5          Physical Complication:  No sense of touch (Infrequently; Barely Impairing)

25         Psychological Complication:  Totally loyal to owner (Very Common; Total)

Total Complications Points:  285

Dancing Sword .hdc

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Because you're summoning a special kind of sword, not just a piece of metal.  There are two basic ways to do it as noted above:

1. Invisible desolid person wielding a sword (STR affects real world)
  2. Automaton sword with flight that is able to fight for you

Either one gives you the effect of a sword which you can either wield, or toss and it fights for its self.  There's a mod for Skyrim called Lemina Mortis that simulates this really well.  I'd do it as follower rather than summon, though (summoning requires battle of wills and a delay before they can act, follower with multiform is instantly useful and self-acting in your benefit).

Ok - I got it. For some reason, I interpreted Summon as allowing a sword to just be able to be a dancing sword. My confusion. Yeah I can see the summon now. In FH 4th there was a write up of sorts of an intelligent sword that could fight on its own. Don’t have the books with me but I would go with AI and the proper skills/powers for what Ragitsu was asking for.

5 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

24      Hover:  Flight 12m, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Invisible Power Effects (Inobvious to sight, hearing; +½), Usable As Swimming (+¼) (24 Active Points) 

Flight is inherently Inobvious... so you can either save a few points or make the Flight Imperceptible for the same cost.

10 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

45      Takes No STUN (loses abilities when takes BODY)

15      Does Not Bleed

10      No Hit Locations

35      Sword:  Life Support  (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial poisons; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep)

63      Made of metal:  Resistant Protection (8 PD/6 ED)

All of these powers can and should be made Obvious (which happens to save points).

It doesn't even need "flight" and maybe shouldn't, but that is up to the designer.  I would at least limit the flight such that it has to stay close-ish to the ground, but, again, that is up to the designer and campaign rules / limits.

Just because it doesn't have legs doesn't mean it wouldn't follow typical walk/run movement rules.

3 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

RKA with a Special Effect "Dancing Sword".

It could be built that way, but it doesn't convey an atmosphere of adventure, where the PC can block or at least dodge the dancing sword.

5 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

RKA with a Special Effect "Dancing Sword".

Simple and elegant, but...  it can't attack on it's own.  You've just created...  a sword.  Potentially wielded by a dancer.  :D

That's the trick here; the dancing sword has to be able to act independently from the wielder.  Hence, summon / follower, or maybe a continuing uncontrolled deal.

Just now, Funk Thompson said:

Simple and elegant, but...  it can't attack on it's own.  You've just created...  a sword.  Potentially wielded by a dancer.  :D

That's the trick here; the dancing sword has to be able to act independently from the wielder.  Hence, summon / follower, or maybe a continuing uncontrolled deal.

Follower

Sword

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

14 DEX 12

15 CON 10

12 BODY 4

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

15 PRE 5

16 COM 3

5 PD 2

3 ED 0

3 SPD 6

6 REC 0

30 END 0

28 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 50 Points

Cost Skills

0 None (It's a Sword)

Total Skills Cost: 0 Points

Cost Powers

15 Armor +5 rPD +5 rED

30 Multipower (30 Points)

2 u) HA +6d6, HTH Attack (-1/2)

3 u) HKA 2d6 [3d6 w/STR]

Total Powers Cost: 50 Points

Total Cost: 100 Points

50+ Disadvantages

15 DF: Flying Sword (Not Concealable/Major Reaction)

20 PhyL: Can Only Do Things A Sword Can Do (All The Time/Greatly)

15 PsyL: Must Obey Creator (Common/Strong)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 100 Points

Just because it doesn't have legs doesn't mean it wouldn't follow typical walk/run movement rules.

I agree, but flight helps it behave more like you'd expect a sword to, and to fight tall things.  But it should probably be limited to behave like a flying sword rather than a bat or a bird.

Flight is inherently Inobvious... so you can either save a few points or make the Flight Imperceptible for the same cost.

Yeah some of the 6th edition invisible/FX changes I'm not quite up on still.

1 minute ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I agree, but flight helps it behave more like you'd expect a sword to, and to fight tall things.  But it should probably be limited to behave like a flying sword rather than a bat or a bird.

Yeah some of the 6th edition invisible/FX changes I'm not quite up on still.

The Sword could simply be wielded by an ghost soldier that only those with Mental Awareness can perceive.  The Sword isn't really flying but being carried.