Martial Arts Killing Damage

Steve

I'm using version 20171119.

On a 25 STR character, I loaded up three maneuvers from the Brick Tricks martial arts style which are simply renamed versions of the default martial arts maneuvers: Deadly Smash (Killing Strike), Deadly Throw (Killing Throw) and Legbreaker (Joint Break).

As far as I can tell, the first two maneuvers have identical builds to the standard maneuvers but are calculating 3d6 instead of 2d6+1 like the default maneuvers are doing. But both the Joint Break and Legbreaker maneuvers are calculating as 3d6 instead of 2d6+1.

Is there something set wrong or missing in the martial arts data that could be causing this damage calculation error?

I'm attaching the character file to see if others can replicate what I am seeing. 

Killing Damage.hdc

Really not sure what you're asking here.

Killing Strike and Killing Throw both have 2 DCs of killing damage, totaling out to 2D6+1 (7 DCs)  for 25 STR.

Joint Break has 4 DCs of killing damage, totaling out to 3D6 (9 DCs) for 25 STR.

Sorry. Made a mistake on the Joint Break one. I thought the maneuver started at 2DC.

I’m still puzzled why the other two maneuvers are giving different damage amounts.

The Killing Strike maneuver is giving me a result of 2d6+1, but the Deadly Smash is giving me a result of 3d6. The Deadly Smash is simply a renamed version of Killing Strike, so I don’t know why it is giving me a different final amount. The same thing is happening with Deadly Throw versus Killing Throw. When I look at them in edit mode, there is nothing different between them, but the renamed maneuvers are giving different damage amounts.

Offhand, looks like you're using a custom template - the DCs (and all other attributes) of Martial Maneuvers can be changed in the template...and whatever template you're using defines the DCs of the Maneuvers as having a base of 4.

Note that if you have templates with the same name as the built in templates in the directory that you're running HD from (e.g. if you've unpacked the .jar file into that directory in the past), then those templates will be used first, superseding the ones included in the .jar file for HD.

The two maneuvers giving the wrong damage amounts were copied straight over from the prefabs in my copy of the Hero System Martial Arts HD file.

It sounds like a copied prefab carries over different template information, if I’m understanding you right. The file I attached is set up with the default 6th Edition and then the prefabs are copied over into it as well as the default template versions for comparison.

Maneuvers carry all information in the save file, so if you load one in from a prefab (or other character), they'll come over and save into the new character with all information from the original file.

Meaning: if the maneuver was defined with 4 DCs in the prefab that you're using, then it'll have 4 DCs when you add it to a character (regardless of template), when you save it, and when you restore it from save. The only way to change that is going to be to remove the Maneuver entirely and add it again from the character's template (i.e. using the base Maneuvers defined on the Martial Arts tab and setting the name/display appropriately).