Jason S.Walters

Champions Now Information

I'm almost on board with this project. But I'm inclined to agree with Spence that it's more of what we've already seen. I think I can get a lot more useful advice out of Aaron Allston's Strike Force reissue, which was truly a brilliant idea.

I think we can all agree that 3e was quicker and easier to play, and has a lot of appeal because of that. What I'm curious about, though, is how to offer these quick and fluid character creation suggestions to 6e. If we go to 3e to avoid the crunchiness of 6e, I'm really interested in hearing time-tested advice on how to cut through the endless detail to create beginning characters and encounters in 6e the way we used to in 3e. In all honesty, I think the character creation cards were a brilliant Kickstarter idea. I'd like to see someone do what Ron is planning, but using the cc cards in 6e.

I looked at the beta documents, and Ron seems like a really interesting guy, and I'd love to see more of what he does. But this particular project seems to fall a little flat for me. Perhaps if there's a more explicit goal here (applying storytelling techniques to Champions), and a clearer plan of what it entails, it'll make for a less confusing KS offering. It seems like with a little more refinement (and maybe a better outline of what the goal is), I'd be all over backing this.

8 hours ago, Chris Goodwin said:

Ron and I had a video conversation via Discord over the weekend.  We talked a little about Endurance; that portion is here.  (I promise, in real life I do more than just go "yeah, yeah", and it was early Sunday for me so my resting grump face was in full force.)

This is an interesting video! It seems to hint at what he's shooting for in the Kickstarter. But I'm still left guessing a little bit.

2 minutes ago, starblaze said:

Are you going to be running this at any Cons in the near future?

THIS!!! This is a great idea. I think a few cons would be a better way to create a buzz, both for indie gamers and for folks interested in Champions. It seems like it could actually create an interest in Champions with the growing numbers of idie gamers out there . . . .

As noted by others, this is going to look like 6E is being dumped (to the extent that, it not being in print and thus very difficult for new gamers to discover, isn't already considered a dead product line) even if that's not the intent.

I am disappointed there isn't a pledge just for the 3E, Champions II, and Champions III pdfs (with errata, preferably, since that's not specified in the kickstarter). I would think there'd some interest in that.

Well, I wish it all success, but I'll be passing.

I really haven't been doing much of anything with Hero even though Champs is my favorite RPG

Pretty much the only gaming I do now is with fully supported systems.  And by fully supported, I mean systems that put out pre-built adventures.   I only know 2 people that are running anything homebrew, and one of them is running a full on crawl.  The primary reason is ee all work full time and most have family obligations.  Limited free time.

So I am playing in a D&D 5th league game and when I run itbis usually a GUMSHOE or Call of Cthulhu scenario. 

I love to run mystery/investigation games and have been working on a Supers campaign for a while.  But constructing a investigatve based campaign is detail intensive.  Once I complete the spine and enough side branches to a viable level, I'll decide on game system and begin plugging in Villians and stat'ing them out. 

But for now I really do not need yet another ruleset or yet anothet advice document. 

What I need in a gaming product is self contained general adventures that can played stand alone or pluged into a campaign if I ever start having enough time to actually write/run one again. 

Pretty much every successful RPG found in full distribution in actual stores have full lines of adventures.  The local FLGS's can't keep them in stock. 

For me I will have to shift my attention and funds to games I will actually have a realistic expectation of playing.  Ones with not just rulesets, but also a solid support in adventures/scenarios.

On 6/20/2018 at 5:46 AM, Ninja-Bear said:

Spence I have some other thoughts on your second to last paragraph. However, this isn’t the proper thread, perhaps we should start another thread?

Sure. 

On 6/20/2018 at 7:46 AM, Ninja-Bear said:

Spence I have some other thoughts on your second to last paragraph. However, this isn’t the proper thread, perhaps we should start another thread?

Care to share as I’d be interested in that discussion. 

12 minutes ago, Kevlyn said:

Care to share as I’d be interested in that discussion. 

Agreed, as I'd like to understand the POV expressed here, as it is the exact opposite of how I feel. I have not ever, in my 40 years of gaming, enjoyed a pre-built adventure, and certainly never used anything more than a rough outline from one, like "Road Kill" for a one off "not everyone showed up for the game" type of thing. 

To me, the experience of a game evolving and being defined "during play" is the real enjoyment I get... not spending massive time trying to create everything beforehand. Entirely different philosophies of gaming, so I'd like to read more about what is being expressed here. 

I started a thread on "indie" games here, with the idea of investigating why Champions/HERO System isn't presenting itself to the younger "indie" crowd. Setting aside what "indie" actually means, I think it should be considered an indie game. I wondered if it could be shown to a new generation with this in mind, and if perhaps this is what Ron Edwards might actually be tapping into.

The news announcement, Why Now Champions Now, seems to reinforce that question. I've now reconsidered backing the project because any exposure is better than none! And if people discover it at Indie Press Revolution while scanning for Fate or some other popular game, so much the better.

I'll save the problem of why it's not based on Champions Complete for another time. 

On 6/19/2018 at 3:36 AM, randian said:

As noted by others, this is going to look like 6E is being dumped (to the extent that, it not being in print and thus very difficult for new gamers to discover, isn't already considered a dead product line) even if that's not the intent.

That is chief among the reasons  actively oppose this project, and , to be honest, hope that it doesn't meet funding. It will be bad for the Hero system, not good.