June '18 Superdraft: A War for the Ages

Pariah

Location: Adjacent to the Guardian of Forever (ST:TOS episode "City on the Edge of Forever"

1.  Mrs Which, A Wrinkle in Time (book).  Originally a star that laid down its life in the struggle against evil?  Oh yeah, she can be on my team anytime.

2.  The Steel General, from Roger Zelazy's Creatures of Light and Darkness.  A "master of temporal fugue", there is a passage from the source story here that makes it clear ... he belongs here.

3.  The man initially introduced as "Ravel", from Keith Laumer's Dinosaur Beach.  All he does in that story is destroy a future-based time manipulation enemy, directed by a machine which fears not death because it is not alive, and saves humanity by remaking the universe to make time travel impossible, thereby refuting its own existence ... because it computes that humans would have wanted it so.

4.  Crowley, devil, from Gaiman & Pratchett's Good Omens.  He's got experience in averting the Apocalypse, literally.  Would be nice to include his hench-entity angel, but you can't have everything.

5.  Phil Connors, protagonist from the movie Groundhog Day.  Even an ordinary man can beat a time loop, if he's willing to learn and grow as he traverses the loop.

6.  Mearth, offspring of Mork and Mindy, from the tv series.  Like his father, he lives backwards.  Let's see a time manipulator deal with that.

Dragon: Evil, the villain in Time Bandits.  It was either him or his sextet of dwarf underlings.

Option 1: A chrono-synclastic infindibulum, a reflecting singularity in space-time that figures in several of Kurt Vonnegut's stories, though I think most prominently in Sirens of Titan.

Option 2: Theme song: The Chambers Brothers' Time Has Come Today, the 11-minute piece of psychelia from 1968.

Title: Same as Option 2.

I don't mind the delay myself because I have no freaking idea who to pick next or how to tie this up. Should I pick Samurai Ted, or maybe Memory Chip Ted? No, I need to explain why there are so many teds in the first place.

The Search for Ted

Continues...

Bill S. Preston, Esq. was feeling bodacious. "Ted must be dead, dudes," he whined.

"Ted Theodore Logan is no longer among the living..." said a voice with an odd accent. Bill looked up, hardly surprised to see the personification of Death.

"I totally knew it!" said Bill. "Aww, dude, so bogus..."

Death continued. "Neither is he in the land of the dead." (His accent made it sound like he said "lend ov the dayed.") 

"Explain," said SmokingTed.

"Ted has been taken out of time, as of right now he never existed." ("Az ov ryte noow he never exizted")

"Whoa," said several Teds.

"But I know he existed," protested Bill. "I've got pictures, look at--whoa!"

He grabbed a picture of Wyld Stallyns, but Bill was the only one in it.

SmokingTed asked, "Dracula did this? When did he get that kind of power?" Then added, without meaning to, "Dude."

"You'd be surprised," said Death. "Especially where time travel is concerned." ("...dravel iz gonzerned")

"Can we find him?"

"You already have. Each of you contains a splinter of the real Ted," explained Death. "If you want the real Ted back, you will have to remove those splinters."

"Meaning we all die?" asked WickTed.

"Correct," said Death. "Good to see you again, John. It's been a while."

That situation had reached new proportions of heinousness.

"Whoa."

Final hero, from the era of Infinity the beginning of time, DEATH!

btdeath913main.jpg

James Kirk sat down at the smooth, metallic table, and his eyes slid around the room to the various people already seated. To his immediate left was a brown haired, well-built man wearing a grey suit perfectly matching his eyes, and a scintillating lenticular device on his wrist. Next was a very tall woman in a black uniform he was unfamiliar with, but spangled with enough decorations and rank embroidery to impress even him - as did her quiet attitude of competence and steady return of his gaze. The man to her left seemed at first unremarkable, though the sheathed sword at his side - well, it should have been odd, but it suited the green-eyed man perfectly. Next was a long-faced man in a rumpled greatcoat, seeming as out of place as Kirk, but looking around at his surroundings with a keen interest that reminded him of his occasionally overly curious first officer. Finally, another woman, in fairly nondescript cargo pants and shirt that did nothing to disguise her beauty or her, he suspected, raw physical power.

Lensman Kinnison spoke. "Each of us is one of the driving forces in our particular realities. Each of our realities is threatened by this "Vandal Savage's" manipulations of the timestream. Together, I, and Mentor, have determined that with the resources at our disposal we can eal with this situation and save all of our worlds. With the aid of my lens, I can seek out their deepest secrets. Admiral Harrington-Alexander, with the military forces at her command, can focus sufficient firepower to deal with any large-scale problem. Ms Kresnov is unsurpassed at more, shall we say, intimate combat. Doctor Quatermass has experience dealing with extremely unorthodox technologies and situations, and should be able to provide us with explanations and counters to anything our opponents may pull out of left field."

"So, what am I here for? It seems like you have everything covered."

"All but one thing." Honor smiled. "We need someone in overall command, to coordinate and control. Divided command is an opportunity to fail." She pointed to Kirk. "We need a leader. Many of us could do it. But we need the best. That's you."

I've now posted the most recent round of updates. Many of you have chosen all of your characters, your Dragon, and your options, and have decided upon a title.  If that's the case, I have updated your title So That It Looks Like This in the rosters post on the first page. If your roster has this feature, you're done. Congratulations!

If not, there is still something (or multiple somethings) I need from you. Maybe a character or two, maybe an option, maybe just a title. Whatever. I will be effectively incommunicado for the next 48 hours, at lest as far as this thread is concerned, so you've got that long to finish up. Please have everything you need drafted by Thursday morning, and I'll put up the poll Thursday or Friday.

Great work so far, everybody!

On 6/14/2018 at 6:43 AM, Cancer said:

Option 2: Theme song: The Chambers Brothers' Time Has Come Today, the 11-minute piece of psychelia from 1968.

Title: Same as Option 2.

Sorry, I intended my title to be Time Has Come Today

1 hour ago, Psybolt said:

Hm... I was trying to be obvious with my title.  Maybe I made the word "title" too small.  :)

Sorry, let me take my glasses off....

>checks post<

Ah yes, there it is.

• 2 weeks later...