Discriminatory With Sight Group

g3taso

I understand the sight group has Discriminatory, "but not the real discriminatory" .

I was wondering how you all might be able to explain to me what adding the "real" discriminatory quality to the Sight Group would do for me?

It would let your character tell the distinction between different stainless steels for example. So if Joe Blow walks out and he sees a bunch of stainless steel he won't be able to tell the difference between 400 series 300 series 200 series Molly percentages. But somebody with discriminatory added to site would be able to make all of those analysis. At least that's how I see it

Discriminatory / Analyze are a bit confusing.

I would say, for instance, that Ndreare's example would be analyze, not descrim.

They do list some examples in the book, saying on Sight sense:

The Discriminatory effect provided by the Sight
Group is not the full Discriminatory obtained
by buying that Sense Modifier, but rather an
effect of somewhat cruder degree. For example, a
character can tell two people apart based on their
visual appearance, but cannot always determine
a person’s ethnicity or religion through Sight.
Characters can make Normal Sight (or the entire
Sight Sense Group) fully Discriminatory by paying
the usual cost.

It's still a judgement call on exactly how discriminatory vs. analyze functions for any given situation.

I was wondering how you all might be able to explain to me what adding the "real" discriminatory quality to the Sight Group would do for me?

As you say, eyesight already has discriminatory built in, but I like the idea and here's how I'd run it:

Watch the TV show Sherlock or the Downey jr Holmes films, not so much for their accuracy to the character and stories, but for how his perception and ability to pick up clues is depicted.  That's how I'd treat it, a sort of super-perception that picked up information better than those around them.  You see blue eyes, he sees certain patterns of blue that are distinct to a kind of genetic condition.  You see a raincoat, he sees stains from a kind of mud and a pattern of wrinkles that indicates sitting for a long period of time.  Discriminatory Sense on eyesight for humans allows easier and quicker gathering of information that is technically available to everyone, but only really noticed by the person who bought it.

Oh yay~ The senses! They are blasted complicated, but man oh man are they fun. 

So Discriminatory and Analyze are confusing as all get out, but make sense, you just have to consider Sense purpose as well as Sense group. I'm going to ramble a bit about Senses because they are cool to me. But, will answer your question, honest.

So Senses function on receiving information in the surrounding area, processing the information, and then reacting depending on how the analysis of the information goes, and how you decide to act on it. Each sense has it's own fundamental purpose, and thus modifies what information you are receiving from the area around you. Hearing offers Event Detection, Taste determines Rudimentary nutritional value and works in accordance with Touch to determine both Harm,Texture, and motion, Scent determines history which makes it fascinating from a Perspective Perspective (ha), while Sight is the primary indicator of Current Status of the surrounding area and distance to objects. The medium that they transmit through also helps influence this, but that's important later.

So Sight's purpose is to determine relatively, the state of things about you. Alright, so Discriminatory as humans' have does... what really? Well, it determines the relative difference between reflective values on the visible spectrum and interprets them as the body understands them most helpful. Think of it this way, you can see the difference of a 100 and 1 dollar bill, but it is only your mental conception of them that draws the value distinction and associations between them. 

Now, Discriminatory as an adder, does not change the mental associations between two types of items. It does however, allow a much greater ability to distinctly identify internal distinctions! Put it this way, one could determine that there is a difference between objects where one before would not be able to. It's a bit difficult to wrap one's mind about, because it's akin to trying to describe a new color. In Ndreare's example, one could be able to tell the distinct difference between the metallic refraction  rates of the metals (based upon the differing average textures due to the forging and metallurgical distinctions) but unless one understands how to draw the differentiate objects based upon the refraction rate of light off objects and something to compare it to! It is having a Distinction, but not understanding the difference. IE: Knowing they are different and knowing how they are different doesn't tell you what they are. You can see Apples are Not Oranges. If you don't know what to call them, you can still sort them, probably identify them, but not say what they are.

Analyze now can be perceived as two different things in this sort of scenario! Depending on how judicious your GM is, they may apply both, or neither, or only one, or do what they want. GM's you know. Analyze, at least from how I see it, is taking the above information, and either:

A: Understanding the influencing factors upon the sight you are seeing. IE: The difference of the light refraction of the air, the relative distance, color fade, and an understood margin of error.

B: Function as an active spectrometer. IE: Be able to distinguish not just on relativistic terms, but absolute terms the level of light and reflection. 

In A if you knew what color a leaf was supposed to be, you could determine the distance between you and it based upon the fade and loss of distinction based on distance. In B, you could tell the absolute rate that light reflects off of the air around, and how much that changes the color you are seeing compared to the color that should be there. 

But, yeah. Senses~ That's how I see the distinction.

9 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

As you say, eyesight already has discriminatory built in, but I like the idea and here's how I'd run it:

Watch the TV show Sherlock or the Downey jr Holmes films, not so much for their accuracy to the character and stories, but for how his perception and ability to pick up clues is depicted.  That's how I'd treat it, a sort of super-perception that picked up information better than those around them.  You see blue eyes, he sees certain patterns of blue that are distinct to a kind of genetic condition.  You see a raincoat, he sees stains from a kind of mud and a pattern of wrinkles that indicates sitting for a long period of time.  Discriminatory Sense on eyesight for humans allows easier and quicker gathering of information that is technically available to everyone, but only really noticed by the person who bought it.

For that type of super perception, I think full discriminatory would be part of it, but I would probably add rapid and analyze to go along with the copious amount of deduction and knowledge skills. 

I would say discriminatory would be able to tell the difference between 36 different eyes that are all "blue", by knowing the different shades, colors of flecks, patterns of fibers, etc that make each eye nearly unique.  Knowing which was associated with a genetic condition for me would be analyze. Rapid would be being able to glance at a page full of 100 pictures and instantly (in a single phase) pick out the ones you recognize. Deduction combined with analyze and KS could help you tell which ones were related, even if they did not know it themselves. 

- E

6 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I think an easy idea of discriminatory of sight I think would be that most people see 8 basic colors, people with full discrim would see all the nuances and shades of color.

Speaking only for myself, I see a lot more than 8 colors. :D

14 hours ago, eepjr24 said:

For that type of super perception, I think full discriminatory would be part of it, but I would probably add rapid and analyze to go along with the copious amount of deduction and knowledge skills. 

I would say discriminatory would be able to tell the difference between 36 different eyes that are all "blue", by knowing the different shades, colors of flecks, patterns of fibers, etc that make each eye nearly unique.  Knowing which was associated with a genetic condition for me would be analyze. Rapid would be being able to glance at a page full of 100 pictures and instantly (in a single phase) pick out the ones you recognize. Deduction combined with analyze and KS could help you tell which ones were related, even if they did not know it themselves. 

- E

See, for me, knowing a genetic condition was indicated by eye color / pattern would require a KS skill, but perhaps "Fully Discriminatory" would allow you to more easily notice such in relation to your KS.

Sense Modifiers affect how much information that sense gives you; you still need appropriate knowledge or skills to do anything with some of that gleaned information.

Just tossing my $0.02

Basic Sight: Discriminatory enough to individually id people.  However, this level of discriminatory is inherently inconsistent.  A witness might not be able to id a person from a set of similar looking people.  A person looking at two twins might not be able to tell the twins apart.

Sight with Discriminatory: Their sight sees enough differences to prevent mistakes just basic sight might mess up.  They would be able to distinguish between two similar looking people (i.e. identitcal twins).  It might be able to infer traits based on the details.  Ex: Twin #1 has been around some type of fire since ash is seen on their jacket.

Sight with Analysis: Their sight sees more than just differences; it can detail enough to give accurate insight into traits.  Ex: Twin #1 has been around an open paper fire.  The ash on his jacket could be from cigarette ash, but the texture and consistency of the ash is more inline with paper burning.

That's more or less what I was trying to get at but worded it poorly; discriminatory sight gives you better and more information than ordinary sight; it gives you clues and information others miss or mistake which you can then use to make conclusions from.  That guy's shoes are scuffed along the side, probably a bicycle rider.  Her finger has a dent in it, she has been writing with a pen a lot.

Also, you can get some of those Bene Gesserit martial arts stuff: he's about to punch, that is a feint, he's going to turn to the right.

16 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Also, you can get some of those Bene Gesserit martial arts stuff: he's about to punch, that is a feint, he's going to turn to the right.

Well, it would probably be the "excuse" to buy things like Combat Luck, Combat Senses, higher CV, etc.  As senses do not effect combat in that way.  :D