How to Build: Stealthy Sorcerous Steel

Ragitsu

During a certain segment in my game, the PCs will discover two magical items that were the property of a now-deceased assassin.

• A smoking pipe that is actually a stiletto *.
  • A walking stick that is actually a rapier.

I have yet to decide whether the true nature of each item (a weapon) can be self-concealed thanks to an illusion or actually transformed into the more innocuous specimen. Which is cheaper and which is less headache in play? A pipe is often a distinguished mark of eccentricity with few practical applications (character color, if you will), but I suppose it could be used to generate a modicum of smoke. A sturdy walking stick is effectively a club; however, aside from being a less-lethal option in combat, what use is a mundane bludgeoning weapon compared to an expertly crafted sword?

--- --- ---

*Incidentally, i'd like to know just what the HERO 6th Edition statistics for a stiletto are.

Stiletto is defined as 1/2 d6 AP.  Sword-cane isn't much better;  they sound cool but they're a desperation/surprise weapon, not a combat weapon.  There's just not enough room in the cane body to have a weapon with any heft to it.  Stats for a small sword are given;  d6-1.

What you're talking with the stiletto is actually basically expressly stated in Transform.  A Minor Transform includes "changes that create minor combat-related effects" up to 2 DCs.  Close enough.  So you have the standard 1/2 d6 HKA OAF, Plus 1d6 Minor Transform.  I'd prefer this approach.  For the sword-cane, you actually don't need anything per se.  The cane body is the sword sheath;  the concealment's inherent.  At worst, ok, throw in 1 or 2 dice of cosmetic transform.  This would support that the cane handle...normally NOT well designed as a hilt...converts into a real hilt.

There is no sword cane. The sword is an actual rapier.

Let me see if I can rephrase what it is I have in mind. There are two options i'm mulling over ->

1. The stiletto and rapier both have alternate illusory forms (the pipe and stick, respectively); you can dismiss/invoke the illusions whenever you wish. You may fight with the weapons while they are masquerading. I suppose there is a slight benefit to being able to stab with a "gentleman's pipe", thanks to the element of surprise, but anyone unaccustomed to fighting with them is penalized due to the odd outward appearances they have to work with. Individuals with moderately good perception will eventually notice that the pipe doesn't actually hold tobacco/green leaf and that the walking stick does a poor job of supporting weight once a burden is shifted onto it.
  2. The stiletto and rapier can fully transform into their more mundane commonplace counterparts - and back - at your command. The pipe can be used for smoking if need be; likewise, the stick does facilitate terrestrial locomotion.

I wish to find out which of the two options is cheaper and/or easier to manage in play.

For transforming, one option is to use a Multipower with each slot representing one of it's forms. For lack of a mechanic, the Pipe form is worth 1 CP, and the stilletto is built more or less normally (save that one of its slots is a pipe-form).

For illusion... you can get really complicated with having the item use Shape-Shift on itself... However, a simple and cheap solution is just declaring that it is an IAF with a Minor Side Effect (becomes Obvious if subjected to any amount of Dispel Shape-Shift or Dispel Images; -1/4). To make the "illusion" better than an unmodified PER Roll: include SLs with Concealment Linked to the foci (and with Only To Conceal Focus)

Thus the letter option generally makes the weapon elements are very, very slightly more expensive than they were.

Transforming will increase the cost of the weapon by about 20% due to the nature of Multi-Powers.

Probably would go with Multiform for those. A rapier with a multiform to a club (2d6 killing to 4d6 normal). A pipe with a multiform of a stiletto (1/2d6 normal to 2d6 Normal with Piercing). Short and sweet. Slap each as an OAF, give them a hidden button to have it change, and viola.

When the Players get these items are you going to:

1) Give them the build details and have them spend character points to keep them as a permanent addition to their characters.  

2) Tell them this is what the item does. 

If it is option 2 I would just workout the weapon effect and decide on what is required to penetrate facade (Sense and/or Difficulty). 

Hero is a great toolkit system and I enjoy using it and working things out but sometimes you do not need to make additional work for yourself.