What Is Lost REC, And How Do I Recover It?

Cantriped

Question

Per 6e2 pg 145 "The Effects Of Temperature" (and elsewhere in CC/FHC), a character "loses" REC and END every 20 Minutes they are exposed to a +1 or -1 Temperature Level. The relevent section defines the END loss as being LTE. However the REC Loss isn't defined beyond its short-term effects on your ability to Recover END.

What is lost REC, and how do I recover it?

For example:

I'm playing an Average Person (with 15 END and 4 REC) who was exposed to +1 Temperature Level for 2 Hours, but is no longer being exposed to it.

Maybe I was sitting on guard duty for a few hours on a balmy 89° evening, unable to avoid the heat until my replacement arrived.

Anyway, I know I've suffered 6 LTE (down to 9 END), and "lost" all 4 of my REC. I know I still have to pay small amounts of END (and then burn STUN) to do most anything, leaving me precious few turns worth of actions before I pass out from heat stroke. What I don't know is how long it takes for the REC to Recover (barring the use of Powers an Average Person like me won't have).

1 answer to this question

When characters exposed to high or low Temperature Levels lose REC as discussed on 6E2 145. Treat the REC as being “permanently” lost until the character spends time in an area that’s at the Comfort Zone — every 20 minutes spent at the Comfort Zone allows him to regain one lost increment of REC.

For example, suppose that a character spends 40 minutes in Temperature Level -3 conditions. That means he’s lost -6 REC (and -6 END, though that doesn’t matter for purposes of this question). Fortunately, he finds shelter that maintains Comfort Zone temperatures. After 20 minutes in this shelter he regains 3 REC; after 40 minutes he regains the remaining -3 and is now at full REC.