Worst action movie clichés

Starlord

On 6/13/2018 at 1:05 PM, slikmar said:

This thread makes me think of Last Action Hero and some of the stuff there, like, "you know, tar sticks to most people".

That's why I enjoyed Last Action Hero so much.  In and of itself it wasn't a great movie, but it had so much fun poking fun at the action genre that I couldn't help but like it.

12 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

Here's a relatively recent one. Why does every action movie now have to have a scene in a night club? Every villainous creep just loves to hang out in night clubs even if they are actively being hunted.

Maybe, it comes from old Westerns,  I love my old John Wayne movies, but every single one seemed to have a bar brawl free-for-all.

15 hours ago, Badger said:

I thought that was because she was a nag and a scold.

*reflexively ducks and covers face from a slap from Cassandra*

I'm going to let that go because you hunt Ewoks.  The world needs bathmats.

I'm going to go a bit meta with this one: a cliche that annoys me is movies where no one did the research, or where no one cared about accuracy, and you get little things that most people wouldn't notice, but which just jump out and ruin suspension of disbelief for anyone with knowledge of the subject matter. Action movies seem to be worse about this, or perhaps they just overlap with my areas of knowledge a little more than other types of movie do.

Yeah... I work in IT.

Oh, which reminds me: usually it's the awkward hacker in these films that that is truly indispensable.  There she is with her laptop, remotely disabling security cameras, tracking bad guys by satellite, controlling traffic signals, transferring millions of dollars, and guessing unguessable passwords.  All the 'hero' can do is run around and kill bad guys.