Worst action movie clichés

Starlord

11 hours ago, Cassandra said:

I think Action involves combat with other humans, and Adventure is combating nature or overcoming some obstacle.

Something, I do like my Adventures having a little human combat, just not necessarily central and non-stop

9 hours ago, Cancer said:

Ahh, space flight and sound effects.  Another not fave.

The only movie I remember that actually had silent explosions in space was the aptly named "Silent Running."

I thought it was so spectacular that I still don't know why other films never followed that lead. A silent explosion is eerie and impressive and really drives home the idea that you're in space, a truly alien environment.

Lucius Alexander

But what do I know, I'm on a palindromedary

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

ISTR that the BSG reboot had silent space combat, inconsistently.  The Expanse might too, I've only caught snippets but it's supposed to be hard SF.

I thought BSG (reboot) did a really cool job of the "muffled sounds" approach... instead of complete silence, they made the guns and explosions and rocket sounds heavily muffled, like you were just receiving the concussion waves through a hull... then would put things at full volume when they cut to inside a cockpit of a Viper that was firing, etc. While not completely "accurate" it conveyed artfully exactly what was needed. That and their space fighter physics was, if not fully realistic... way MORE realistic.

8 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

The Battlestar Galactica Reboot may have been more "realistic" but lacked heart.  The reason we remember the original show fondle is it had a cast we liked. 

I don't fall into that category. I never really liked the original at all... too cheesy. I loved the cast of the new one. It had plenty of heart and actual pathos and grim violence, and the heroism we saw came from a real place, not generic TV hack writing. 

It was flawed in many ways, but infinitely better than the original.

Just now, RDU Neil said:

I don't fall into that category. I never really liked the original at all... too cheesy. I loved the cast of the new one. It had plenty of heart and actual pathos and grim violence, and the heroism we saw came from a real place, not generic TV hack writing. 

That's something a Cylon would say.

6 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

The reboot had a bunch of over-used hack writing of its own. For example, it was a regular occurrence to have the "lets pull out guns and have a standoff" moments to show how gritty and grimdark it was*. Baltar/Six were apparently there to see just how far someone could act crazy without everyone else noticing. And "the Plan" was basically an excuse to show the Cylons acting at cross-purposes.

*On one occasion, someone pulled a gun on himself, in what looked like a serious reinterpretation of the scene from Blazing Saddles

10 hours ago, Cassandra said:

The Battlestar Galactica Reboot may have been more "realistic" but lacked heart.  The reason we remember the original show fondle is it had a cast we liked. 

Yeah, I hadn't seen much of the original until it came on MeTV about a year ago.   But, it made my disappointment for the reboot even more disappointing.  (though the 1980 attempt at rebooting the original was pretty awful, except the one with the Starbuck flashback)

9 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

Yeah, I can understand the "cheesy" factor.  But it was the 1970s.

A show's main character (or someone who is about to get killed) notices someone staring at him or her across the street. A large vehicle quickly drives by, obscuring the mysterious person. This person has disappeared into thin air by the time the vehicle passes.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, Ragitsu said:

We fondled Battlestar Galactica :shock:?

*sigh*

I feel irrationally compelled to ask but intensely terrified to know the truth:

So, which one, Jane Seymour, Laurette Spang or Anne Lockhart?

(assuming the old version of the show of course)

Smart people are always arrogant (and get killed because of it) or evil (and get killed because of it) or both.  In rare cases, they get to be victim (and they still tend to get killed) and it's the hero's job is to rescue or avenge them.