Duplicate: Autonomous Hand 5e

akrippler

Hi, my hero is half man half machine.  I want to build a duplication power where in my hand detaches and can skitter off on its own to do stuff.

I imagine the hand is completely robotic in makeup but I'm having a hard time reconciling this in points.

Gettin him down to the right size costs me roughly 60 points.

The entire life support suite alone is 60 points. 

Alongside automaton special defense powers (No stun, not able to be stunned, no bleeding) are 75 points minimum.  

Some variation of all of these seem almost necessary to match the fluff I want, but my duplicate only has 150 points.

I dont imagine him being a combat powerhouse or anything but I want him to be useful besides just being a moving hand, so I need to scrape together some points somehow. 

So I'm throwing my plight to you guys, any ideas how I can make this work? 

Side note: Is there anything in the rules about getting points back for selling INT, EGO, PRE, and COM ? Is that something I should even look at? 

2 minutes ago, akrippler said:

Seems like he just ignored all the autonomous and life support features... I guess thats one way to do it. 

Buggy can detach parts of his flesh and blood body, so they don't exactly need Life Support. They breath as Buggy does.

Hey Im open to anything as long as it works.  But without buying life support for the individual duplicate (or summon in this case) it implies that the detached hand itself needs to breath.  Also the indivudal body parts could be knocked unconscious or mind controlled, or suffer against presence attacks. 

He did buy extra mental defenses in an attempt to ward off mental attacks.

1 minute ago, akrippler said:

Hey Im open to anything as long as it works.  But without buying life support for the individual duplicate (or summon in this case) it implies that the detached hand itself needs to breath.   IE it cant survive underwater.  

Well, Buggy did eat a Devil Fruit, and there us one weakness to all people who gain powers from eating a Devil Fruit. They sink like a stone 

4 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Well, Buggy did eat a Devil Fruit, and there us one weakness to all people who gain powers from eating a Devil Fruit. They sink like a stone 

Im having a hard time imagining a hand running out of breath, turning blue, before finally going unconscious lol.
Thanks for you time so far, this is giving me ideas. 

Side note: reading this makes me wanna finally check out one-piece. 

I think Im nitpicking too much.

Like my hand will never get the chance to eat, It will never be off my body long enough to need to sleep.  

But does that mean my GM will ever bring up that situation? Hell no, Im just not gonna buy it and hope it never gets brought up lol.

2 hours ago, dbcowboy said:

It sounds like the hand becomes its own character for the duration.  What about building as a Summons with side effect of character loosing their hand while separated?  

Yeah, I don't see this as duplication at all; summon or follower, summon being more mechanically apt (since you can "summon" it by detaching it.)

That said, summon / follower doesn't solve the core issue:  Does the hand need all the various life support and resistances to make it a "mechanical hand" with all appropriate mechanics?  I'd say the answer is yes, at least were this my campaign.  

The single most difficult character to make, for those I've tried, insofar as getting everything I felt I *needed* within the point limit, was a Cyborg clone.  And he didn't even have a detachable hand.  Just the senses and computer-assisted skills and such took up about half the character points (in 5E, 250; in 6E, even 400 wasn't quite enough to "do it right.")  Then brick plus his arm-cannon?  Plus cyberkinesis over machines?  Not happening :D

If someone grabbed the hand while it was separated, would it still function after 16 hours or would it run out of power and need to recharge?  If so then it sleeps.  If kept separated for days would it continue to slow until it eventually stopped?  Then it eats; don't pay for those.  And unless the hero is completely immune to all environments no reason the hand has to be.

Yes it can be mind controlled but only by opponents who can affect a Machine-class mind.

It's small but probably not terribly fast.  With just a couple fingers not very high manual dexterity.  Not as much leverage to use its strength.  Seems like it should have lower stats than the main character.

Should have some definite physical limitations.

Probably doesn't know everything the character knows so limited on skills.  If you can afford a Mind Link and Clarisentience then the character could direct the hand and still be much, much more limited if unable to communicate with the character.

What are some other things you want it to be able to do? 

If it were a 150 point Summon or Duplication with Side Effect (always occurs, character suffers Physical Limitation: Missing Hand) -1/2  and 1 Charge (recoverable) -1 1/4, it's only 11 points.

I think charge makes sense since not like you can make another hand without a LOT of effort.

Depends on how autonomous you want to make it.  I think summons is probably the best working with 1 recoverable charge (or 2 charges if both hands can be autonomous). 

The reason I ask how autonomous it is, if the hand has to work within line of sight or range and is not totally an AI, you might be able to get away with TK uncontrolled continuous with inobvious power effects.  But I think you want it to be totally autonomous (requiring INT, EGO, and PRE).

On 6/13/2018 at 6:45 PM, Funk Thompson said:

The single most difficult character to make, for those I've tried, insofar as getting everything I felt I *needed* within the point limit, was a Cyborg clone.  And he didn't even have a detachable hand.  Just the senses and computer-assisted skills and such took up about half the character points (in 5E, 250; in 6E, even 400 wasn't quite enough to "do it right.")  Then brick plus his arm-cannon?  Plus cyberkinesis over machines?  Not happening :D

I am coming to the same conclusion.  I'll need to just skimp on robot features to make it work.