Character Build Help - Duplication

Christougher

Quad is a Brick, strong and heavily defended.  He can split into two Doubles, each a little less strong, less well defended, but faster and more agile.  Each Double can split into two Singles, each a little less strong and well defended, but faster and more agile.  Yes, there is an influence from the City of Heroes's Malta robots.

Player/GM contract requires them to be fully built - no hand waving.  Quad is a 400 point 5ER character.  I believe I can make Double as a 325 point Duplicate, and Single as a 250 point Duplicate.

Some of Quads powers (STR and Defenses) would have a Not While Duplicated limitation - at what value, -1?  

Double will have a similar set of Not While Duplicated powers, but also a set of Only While Duplicated powers - also a -1 Limitation?

Right now, all three are scrapper types, with Quad a brick and Singles close to Speedster.  If I can scrape up the points, maybe give each a Blast.  Any other suggested powers or better names?

Chris.

It sounds like the player/GM have already decided on the character build.  That said, you did ask about the value of a limitation "not while duplicated" and "only while duplicated", so perhaps you are still looking into costs...  The value of the limitation would depend on how useful the duplicates are.  If the duplicates have weaknesses that the primary form does not possess then the limitation for "Only while duplicated" might be higher.  It is always up to the GM.  That said, (-1) seems about right.  Another option (if the GM is okay with it) is to put some powers in a multipower where each of the slots of the multipower is associated with a duplication state of the character.

So... did you write up each Double as having duplication in order to produce each of the "Single"s?   ...Or did you write up Quad having duplication (up to 3 duplicates) with "altered duplicates" advantage and having an advantage of being able to generate "Single" at the location of the Double duplicate?  This second option seems confusing to me but could work as duplication with the "Trigger" and advantage.  

As for new names it would be helpful if you provided a complete write up....  That said, "Combo" for Quad seems like an obvious choice...  Perhaps a military reference like "Squad" would be more appropriate, like "The Brute Squad"...  just a thought...

cheers,

FoolishVictor

I'd probably go -½ for "only when not duplicated" because the circumstances are largely under the character's control and its not half as powerful in those circumstances (which is roughly what a -1 limitation represents).

There's no limitation for having powers only as a duplicate because that's not a limitation for the duplicate: they only exist when duplicated, and every time they are, they have that set of powers.

I like "brute squad" as a name, too

Since you seem to be wanting to have the Main Character actually split up, Multiform with Duplication interwoven as an Always on would be more what I'm thinking for what you are saying. Otherwise you'd have Quad, two Doubles, and four Singles all at once. Interesting, but not what I think you are wanting.

The problem with that is then that you are having multiple sets of Duplication and Multiform on each character. IE: Quad would be 400pts, but with 65 in Multiform. Double would be 325pts, but with 65 in Duplicate, and 50 in Multiform. Singles would just have 50 in Duplicate. Thus, without dealing with modifiers and such, you've got a 335pt Quad, 210pt Double, and 200pt Singles. Possible, but the distinctions feel... more minor than expected.

Also as a question, would you want this to be possibly dispelled? If so, would you end up with a Double and two Singles, or such?