Who Is Your All-Time Avengers All-Star Team?

Pariah

Hawkeye (Clint Barton)

Black Widow (Natasha Romanov)

Vision

Scarlett Witch (Wanda Maximoff)

Captain America (Steve Rogers)

Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers

Iron Man (Tony Stark or James Rhodes)

Wasp (Janet Van Dyne

Thor (Odinson or Jane Foster)

She-Hulk (Jennifer Walters

Black Panther (T'Challa)

Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff)

Twelve is a big team, but it covers the key bases. Leaving out Wonder Man or Yellow Jacket (Hank Pym) is a tough call on my part, and I'm personally a fan of the line-up during the 70s/early 80s with Beast. But thinking about the team as the premier  

I never liked Wasp until the animated series, then I loved her.  But she's still underpowered and kind of pointless in the team beyond a fun personality.  Hawkeye is sort of the same way, he's got nice toys and never misses but... in the end he's still just a normal dude with a bow.  At least Black Widow has nearly a century of espionage experience, contacts, and skills piled up.  I don't see her as a field agent, but rather the one that runs around gathering intel and setting up the job for the field team.

I'll admit I put Wasp on the team purely for the personality. She's not as useful in a fight as the rest of the team, but she's a great distraction, and sometimes a shrinking, flying blaster is handy. I almost put Black Widow in the sixth spot, but figured I'd need someone to do the magic/mentalist thing. I picked Kaluu there b/c he's a bit more entertaining than Dr. Druid (to me, anyway; I never liked Druid much) and I think Strange isn't really a great team character since his Sorcerer Supreme duties are so demanding.

1 minute ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I'll admit I put Wasp on the team purely for the personality. She's not as useful in a fight as the rest of the team, but she's a great distraction, and sometimes a shrinking, flying blaster is handy.

Oh, I purely put together my selections based on "Which personalities make this feel most like the Avengers!" and that is why I debated putting Wonder Man and Beast, because their bro-mance is a great, historical piece of the Avengers. That is why I like She-Hulk over Banner Hulk, as she was always more of a quality team player, both Odinson and Jane Foster made for excellent Avengers in that roll. Rhodey vs. Tony was a completely different dynamic, but one I like just as much (assuming they unkill Rhodey one of these days, as they do with everyone).

5 minutes ago, RDU Neil said:

That is why I like She-Hulk over Banner Hulk, as she was always more of a quality team player

If it weren't for the Hulk/Thor rivalry/bromance in the MCU and the Hulk's appearance on A:EMH's, I'd consider She-Hulk in that slot myself. Hulk and Kaluu bring a fun level of friction to the team that can occasionally tip over to real drama, whereas the rest of my lineup are better team players.

Hmm, the team I would like to write. Sticking with just Avengers...

1.     Captain America

a.     Of the big three, he’s the one I feel is most indispensable. Iron Man was never a favorite, and lately he’s become pretty unlikable, and Thor is too powerful. Keeping my team around mid-level power wise.

2.     Hawkeye

a.     In recent years he has been fantastic, and I always liked him anyway. Respect the trick arrow.

3.     Ant-Man (Lang)

a.     Unfortunately, I’ve really grown to dislke Hank Pym. I hate saying that as he was a favorite as a kid. Equally, I’ve grown to like Lang. My version would definitely be a scientist like the books, not the thief in the movie, though I love the movie. In fact, taking a cue from the movie, he would double as Giant Man.  

4.     Quicksilver

a.     Another character that has taken a hit in recent years, he’s my redemption project. Thinking Pietro ala X-Factor years.

5.     The Invisible Woman

a.     That’s right, she’s a full-fledged member. It would be interesting to see what could be done with her away from the pages of FF.

6.     She-Hulk

a.     I know, I know, I’m shocked, too. I’ve never been the biggest fan, and often been a hater. But she’s grown on me a little. And she had a great rapport with Sue. Besides, we need muscle, and we need women.

I really like Wonder Man but he has been turned into such a douche canoe and his costumes always suck.  Great power set though.   Poor Hank Pym really got turned into a monster.  It was great storytelling, but sad to watch a hero sink like that.

I liked Byrne's work on She Hulk, he made her interesting but I'd still rather have the real Hulk.

32 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I really like Wonder Man but he has been turned into such a douche canoe and his costumes always suck.  Great power set though.   Poor Hank Pym really got turned into a monster.  It was great storytelling, but sad to watch a hero sink like that.

I liked Byrne's work on She Hulk, he made her interesting but I'd still rather have the real Hulk.

I agree that poor Simon Williams has been poorly written over the past decade. Coming from a "I died and came back" and "brain copied" origin... I personally really liked his'80s incarnation where he turned into a generally nice guy who wanted to be an actor... actually matured and got over his Wanda obsession, etc. Whatever he came back as after dying again and again and coming back... and his "I hate the Avengers" thing that was never really addressed and just dropped... sad ending.

I really liked Pym as Yellow Jacket, and his downfall was actually good drama.

I have never found Banner Hulk to be at all interesting, except the Peter David era... Smart Hulk, the Pantheon, etc. But he still never felt like an Avenger there. She-Hulk whether by Byrne, or the great 2004 starting run where she was a super-human lawyer, were really strong character stories.

Looking back on the history of the Avengers, they were very clearly a PC group in somebody's Champs game. Second issue, one quits (Hulk) and the other changes (My shrinking guy is now a Growth guy!), and then a new player wants to play "This old character of mine who I loved... a WWII guy!" and only a few issues later, half the players have new characters (Speed guy... Focus multi-power guy... Power Pool gal...) etc.

I make three Avengers Teams.. Put them in Three Different locations.... New York City, New Orleans, and LA

There were would be shifting story arcs, three issues long each. Some taking place at the same time. For three months stories about the New York Crew, then the next arc is the Gulf Coast, then West Coast and around again. If demand from readership goes up for one, they get their own book. We do a big social media interaction with the fans, and let them mention their favorites etc.  If sales suck, I make it one team again with the most popular characters

Avengers New York

Captain America (Steve Rogers) -Leader

Hercules (Son of Zeus)

Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)

Falcon (Sam Wilson)

Yellowjacket (Rita DeMara)

The Human Torch (Johnny Storm)

Avengers Gulf Coast

Spectrum (Monica Rambeau)- Leader

Dr. Voodoo (Jericho Drumm)

Thor (Thor Odinson)

Rogue (Anne Marie former X-Man)

Stingray (Walter Newell)

Black Widow  (Natasha Romanov)

West  Coast Avengers

Hawkeye (Clint Barton)- Leader

She-Hulk (Jennifer Walters)

Iron Man (Tony Stark)

Goliath (Tom Foster, Bill Foster's Nephew)

Heroine (Gertrude  Yorkes, alternate Timeline)

Firebird (Bonita Juarez)

2 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

5.     The Invisible Woman

a.     That’s right, she’s a full-fledged member. It would be interesting to see what could be done with her away from the pages of FF.

This is probably the best way to rehabilitate the FF--give the members temp jobs with other groups that haven't been totally mishandled.  The FF have been out-FFed by The Incredibles anyway.

16 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

The late 70s lineup with Captain America, the Wasp, Beast, Ms. Marvel, Falcon, Wonder Man, the Scarlet Witch, and the Vision.

I agree, the late '70s rosters were the best, and I liked the Falcon in there, but I don't think he served (at that time) with Wonder Man... he quit because he felt the government only put him on the team as "token black man" and when he quit, Wonder Man rejoined.

The Nefaria Trilogy is still my favorite Avengers story of all time... Cap, Wasp, Yellow Jacket, Beast, Vision, Scarlet Witch... vs. Power Man, Living Laser, et al., who'd been enhanced by Nefaria, etc. Jim Shooter writing, Byrne art before he got lazy... ah, my childhood.

Black Ops Avengers:

Black Widow (Natasha Romanova) - Team Leader

Winter Soldier (Bucky Barnes)

Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew)

Warbird (Carol Danvers)

War Machine (James Rhodes)

Beast (Dr. Henry McCoy)

Moon Knight (Marc Spector)

S.H.I.E.L.D. Liaison: Maria Hill