Who Is Your All-Time Avengers All-Star Team?

Pariah

29 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Best female Avengers team?

She-Hulk

Black Widow

Wasp

Scarlet Witch

Spider-Woman

Mockingbird

Captain Marvel

When I read "Best female Avengers team?" I was like, "Ooh, that'll be a fun list to make." Then I read your list and it seems you got it 85.7% right, so I guess I'll just have to do a substitute:

Replace Mockingbird with Tigra. Otherwise, our lists match. Now, if you pick an uncool version of Tigra and Agents of SHIELD version of Mockingbird, then I'd agree. But strictly comics-speaking, I'd go Tigra.

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

Best female Avengers team?

She-Hulk

Black Widow

Wasp

Scarlet Witch

Spider-Woman

Mockingbird

Captain Marvel

Tigra is a great character, but I would definitely keep Mockingbird. I just like her better.

And I think I would probably replace Spider Woman with Spectrum. (Monica used to be the leader of the Avengers, you know.)

45 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I like Tigra but I wish they hadn't turned her into a raging slut.  I'd like her better as a predator who is seemingly disinterested in everyone but secretly very loyal.  Not sleeping with every guy but very selective in her friendships. 

This is what I meant by picking an uncool version of Tigra.

I knew they did some more recent character assassination on her, couldn't remember what exactly. She was pretty decent when she had a more or less stable personality and detective skills. I liked her in West Coast Avengers in the late 80s/early 90s. Except when she went feral and US Agent picked her up by the scruff of the neck. I don't think he was actually capable of pulling that one off.

1 minute ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Except when she went feral and US Agent picked her up by the scruff of the neck. I don't think he was actually capable of pulling that one off.

Certainly not more than once. Because Tigra would have ripped his redacted throat out.

I would have loved to have written a Tigra miniseries, with her stalking bad guys through the urban jungle, street level stuff.  For a while there, Sabertooth went kind of feral and was living in a sewer killing and eating people, that would have been her main target.  Because she's outclassed against him and would have to out think him.

12 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I'm glad to see all the Monica Rambeau love here.  She was my favorite new character Marvel ever came up with, and its frustrating they haven't done more with her.

I like what they tried to do with her and the Blue Marvel in the Ultimates and Ultimates 2 books recently. The ones with the Good Galactus. Those were actually quite smart and entertaining cosmic stories, but there wasn't a lot of focus on individual characters.

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I'm glad to see all the Monica Rambeau love here.  She was my favorite new character Marvel ever came up with, and its frustrating they haven't done more with her.

I always liked her too.  Interesting and POWERFUL abilities, solid back story, NOT a New Yorker (Hey, sorry, I know Marvel has their wheel house but I appreciate it when they dig into other parts of the country),  and skilled even without said powers.

On 6/26/2018 at 8:23 AM, RDU Neil said:

I agree, the late '70s rosters were the best, and I liked the Falcon in there, but I don't think he served (at that time) with Wonder Man... he quit because he felt the government only put him on the team as "token black man" and when he quit, Wonder Man rejoined.

The Nefaria Trilogy is still my favorite Avengers story of all time... Cap, Wasp, Yellow Jacket, Beast, Vision, Scarlet Witch... vs. Power Man, Living Laser, et al., who'd been enhanced by Nefaria, etc. Jim Shooter writing, Byrne art before he got lazy... ah, my childhood.

They were both on the team briefly for those stories set on Wundagore Mountain and at the Russian nuclear reactor, though maybe Wonder Man wasn't in an official capacity.

The Nefaria Trilogy is one of my all-time favorite superhero stories as well. It had just about the perfect action scenes. (Though I think Byrne's early art there was a bit shy of his peak on the title in the 180s, and his Fantastic Four work.)

6 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

The Nefaria Trilogy is one of my all-time favorite superhero stories as well. It had just about the perfect action scenes. (Though I think Byrne's early art there was a bit shy of his peak on the title in the 180s, and his Fantastic Four work.)

I think Byrne's FF run is the ultimate trajectory of his art, from its peak (which I personally felt was Uncanny X-Men 108 - 142, but paralleled that time period) to his initial decline by the end of that run, lines becoming sketchy, sloppy layouts, etc. Byrne always needed Austin as his inker to excel, but I do think he had similar impact to comic art and design as Steranko did in his short but seminal Nick Fury issues.