Is San Angelo suitable for the Sailor Senshi?

Mark Rand

Our colleague, Steve, suggested San Angelo, which was created by Gold Rush Games as the home town for the Sailor Senshi.  Said city is close to the Sierras and its river system connects to the Sacramento River, which eventually flows into San Francisco Bay.  

I had given it some consideration a while ago, but decided against it because it would be too hard to remove the supers from it.  What do you, my learned colleagues, think? 

Why remove supers? The Sailor Senshi fits one gap none of the others can fill there. Gap 1: the teenage scene. Because they are teenagers, they can get to places no other hero could go without difficulty. And while the reverse is also true, there are more than enough adult supers to handle those situations.

Gap 2: I don't remember if the city has many heroes of a mystical bent. So they can kinda fit in with that circle.

Okay.  The Senshi live in the University Commons neighborhood, which is home to UC San Angelo.  There are a number of hospitals in that neighborhood, including the University Medical Center, where Sailor Mercury's mother works, and the Children's Hospital of San Angelo.

One hangout for the Senshi is University Lanes, which has twelve lanes of bowling, two pool tables, a video arcade, and a snack area.  Another is the neighborhood rec center, which has a cardio-theater, a regulation NHL-sized ice arena, an Olympic-sized pool, an aerobics studio, a regular gym/basketball court, a food court, and a jogging track.

When Jadeite orders the Senshi to meet him at San Angelo International Airport or else, both The Justice Foundation, the city's main team, and the Police Paranormal Alert Responce Team will try and stop them, saying that they should let the adults handle this, only to be swept aside by Jadeite.  It ends badly for him.

3 hours ago, Mark Rand said:

When Jadeite orders the Senshi to meet him at San Angelo International Airport or else, both The Justice Foundation, the city's main team, and the Police Paranormal Alert Responce Team will try and stop them, saying that they should let the adults handle this, only to be swept aside by Jadeite.  It ends badly for him.

Well, it does end badly for him. Not because of the Justice Foundation (who have no immunity to Jadeite's energy drain powers or mystical mind control abilities) nor the PPAR (again, no defenses), but from three girls and one guy, forcing him to flee to his angry and quite peeved queen.

That was easy. Next Dark General?

I just watched the episode again.  Jadeite put the police, Justice Foundation, and Sheriff's deputies that were stationed at the airport to sleep.  They woke up in time to see the Sailor Senshi and Tuxedo Mask sent Jadeite running for his life. 

23 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

I just watched the episode again.  Jadeite put the police, Justice Foundation, and Sheriff's deputies that were stationed at the airport to sleep.  They woke up in time to see the Sailor Senshi and Tuxedo Mask sent Jadeite running for his life. 

Never underestimate the power of youth.

I'm afraid I'm not seeing how it would be hard to remove supers from the city. Could you elaborate on that?

Maybe the local supers existed in the past but are no longer active and no new supers have arisen to replace them? This would leave an opening for a new team of supers to appear (the Sailor Scouts).

21 minutes ago, JmOz said:

Maybe I don't remember the series well, but weren't the girls (except Venus) kind of ""shadow heroes" meaning the general public did not really know about them...

Yes. But seeing that they are living in a city of heroes...they could still blend in with all the other heroes and still not be rather known.

On 6/29/2018 at 8:43 AM, steriaca said:

Yes. But seeing that they are living in a city of heroes...they could still blend in with all the other heroes and still not be rather known.

Good point.  Until the threat to destroy the city if they didn't meet Jadeite at the airport, they may've been unknown. 

As far as Sailor Mercury goes, since, when using her computer and visor, she relays information from the GM, I think she should be the GM's player character.

3 hours ago, Mark Rand said:

Good point.  Until the threat to destroy the city if they didn't meet Jadeite at the airport, they may've been unknown. 

As far as Sailor Mercury goes, since, when using her computer and visor, she relays information from the GM, I think she should be the GM's player character.

That only happens in the original anime. In the manga, he is burned to a crisp by Sailor Mars long before something like that could happen. In Crystal, when he would be rather dead in the manga, he instead is ordered to back off and let Nephrite try (who is then ordered to fall back and let Zociite try, who is then ordered to fall back and let Kunzite try).

Of the Inner Senshi, Amy/Sailor Mercury is, besides the Luna and Artemis, the most computer literate.  Sailor Moon herself may have just enough skill to use her smart phone for social media and email.  Amy may also be the only Inner Senshi without social media accounts.

• 4 weeks later...

The San Angelo River Delta enters into the Yuba River one mile upstream of where it flows into the Feather River, the major tributary of the Sacramento River.

Electric power and natural gas for San Angelo are supplied by Pacific Gas and Electric, which is headquartered in San Francisco.

• 3 months later...

In the main San Angelo book it states that superhero bases need a special use permit from the city.  The Sailor Scouts don't have one because they don't have an official headquarters.  Instead they meet, in their civilian identities, either at the entrance to the shrine Rei serves as a miko at or in her house

I don't see why you couldn't use it. I don't know anything about the book, but do you have to use it as written? Is this a new campaign? Is this an existing campaign where supers are around and you're adding this? Even so, you don't have to use the book as written. Besides, as previously mentioned, the Sailors handle situations the world generally is not aware of.

• 4 months later...
On 7/26/2018 at 6:06 AM, Mark Rand said:

Electric power and natural gas for San Angelo are supplied by Pacific Gas and Electric, which is headquartered in San Francisco.

Hiya! I know I'm waaaay late to this conversation, but I just wanted to point out a minor detail.

In SACoH, it's Western Gas & Electric Co., a private utility company, that provides natural gas and power to San Angelo County residents, not PG&E. Unless, of course, you were simply saying it's PG&E in your campaign...

As for the permits and such... I want to remind everyone that SA:CoH (like virtually all published setting books) provides material for your use and enjoyment. If that enjoyment is ever curtailed due to said material, you are fully within your rights to nix that material from the setting. Period. There's no requirement whatsoever to use a product 100% as written. The same applies to our upcoming SA:CoH products, as well.

Love the blending of the anime material with SA;:CoH, btw!

Cheers!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I posted the following to another San Angelo thread on this board:

A good real-world match for San Angelo might be Oroville, California, the county seat of Butte County.  It's close to Lake Oroville and the surrounding recreational area.

Willows, California, the home of Thunderhill Raceway Park, a motorsports facility owned by the San Francisco Region of the Sports Car Club of America, is in the county just west of Butte County.