Ant-Man and the Wasp with spoilers

Bazza

I also couldn't help compare The Wasp and Ant-Man (as my wife insists it be called) to the Incredibles, and found it held up well. Both are movies driven by character and setting motivations rather than overt plot. Both have their emotional heft residing in the interpersonal relationships. Both are generally light hearted, with just enough seriousness not to be campy.

I enjoyed Wasp/Ant-Man much more than the first one... and was very pleased that this movie didn't really have a villain in it. There were generally three competing agendas, none of which were purely evil, nor purely heroic (one greedy criminal, but hardly villain status, one tortured metahuman, but not out for villainous motivations, just trying to survive, and the Pym's who mostly good, but operating on the shady side) all after the same technological McGuffin. Lang gets caught up in this, of course, and we are off to the races. It works really well, as there is no clear "us vs. them" set-up... nor does there have to be a culminating "fight scene" as much as a culminating confluence of actions, many downright hilarious.

The use of size-changing for humorous effect, based off a faulty regulator was laugh-out-loud most of the time. The Ghost was dangerous but sympathetic. Bill Foster was his own, conflicted character and always fun to watch Lawrence Fishburne.

While it worked, I actually felt let down by the tie-in to Infinity War. My wife was upset. "That movie was fun! Why did they have to bring it that dusting crap!" and felt that scene left a bad taste, after really enjoying the movie.

6 minutes ago, RDU Neil said:

While it worked, I actually felt let down by the tie-in to Infinity War. My wife was upset. "That movie was fun! Why did they have to bring it that dusting crap!" and felt that scene left a bad taste, after really enjoying the movie.

You ain't kidding. A family nearby had a child, the little girl was soooo pissed at that scene and actually said "Why did they have to do that? now I'm all MAD!"

Indignation, thy name is young fan girl.

19 minutes ago, Hermit said:

You ain't kidding. A family nearby had a child, the little girl was soooo pissed at that scene and actually said "Why did they have to do that? now I'm all MAD!"

Indignation, thy name is young fan girl.

From my wife (who I sent your words above)

"you can't make emotional shifts like that without warning 

when so many viewers of whatever media (books, movies, etc.) are invested emotionally and it is what drives them to consume said media, it feels like a betrayal
that stuff demands set up so we can adequately prepare" 

Your wife is right about that. I think Marvel was counting on everyone who saw this to see infinity war first (not entirely unreasonable as many fans are into it all) and that the interconnectivity would excuse the tone shift and count as a warning (not nearly as reasonable imo)

It's one of the few Marvel Movies I prefer without the after credits scene

I personally enjoyed that they got past Hope and Hank being mad at Scott (though it had been 2 years off screen) quickly. I liked even more so that Hope wasn't mad that Scott went to Germany, but that he didnt ask for their help (I assume she had not been in the costume yet, as he was surprised by the flight and blaster parts).

Loved the opening with Cassie and Scott.

Laughed a lot in this movie, which made it a good subsequent movie to Infinity War, changing peoples moods. I agree on just leaving Scott saying on radio asking for help and not showing dusting. Not sure what the point of the end credit scene was for, other then humor.

I noticed scenes in previews not in the movie - the you go high scene and the one where Michael Pena (Luis) comments that Ghost is using similar tech to Pym's.

I thought movie was fun and liked it a lot.