Happy No Importance Day America !

To the Americans on the board,

Happy No Importance Day !

Nothing important happens today !

Or has happened in the past on this date.

Unless of course you were born on this date or you are expecting a baby on today. In which case it is important but that is just for you. In the grand scheme of things, it ain't.

And with Pence in the White House running things nothing important will happen despite you know who saying you know what.

Regards

The Rest of the World 

In 1986 on this day I was in Boston.  We took the T downtown, and walked the Freedom Trail from start to finish, and past it, continuing out to the harbor where they were just tying up USS Constitution after its annual tug around Boston Harbor.  Then we walked back downtown, and beyond to Fenway Park, and took in the Red Sox defeating Seattle.  Most years on the 4th, the Boston Pops does a live performance on the bank of the Charles, but that was delayed by a day in 1986 because the orchestra was in New York on the 4th performing at the rededication of the Statue of Liberty.

If it's possible to do better on Independence Day, I don't know how.  There are ways to do just as well, but I don't know about better.

Between the time when Empire of the Lion ruled the waves and the rise of the broken cross, there was an event undreamed of! And onto this, George Washington, destined to wear the overcoat of a new democracy upon weary shoulders. It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell  thee of his saga. Let me tell you of the days of high revolution!

*Screen title:* "Washington the Virginian!"

10 hours ago, Starlord said:

Boise, Idaho was founded on this day so, wow, you blew that one.

Also, lots if people gather together to watch fake bombs explode in the sky.

Unless it's too friggin' hot and humid.

Which it is.

So nevermind.

Bunch of babies, humidity doesn't stop us around here (my neighbors started shooting the fireworks Saturday)

I did burn some money in celebration, today. But I wasn't celebrating the founding of the United States of America. Technically, I was celebrating the day the colonists officially declared themselves to no longer be Brits. It took thirteen more years of discussion before they officially declared themselves Americans, in the same document that removed the people's right to directly elect their leaders.

BTW, it seems odd that the only presidents elected to office against the will of the people (lost popular vote but won electoral college) were republicans. What's up with that?

16 hours ago, clnicholsusa said:

BTW, it seems odd that the only presidents elected to office against the will of the people (lost popular vote but won electoral college) were republicans. What's up with that?

It's a misconception that the popular vote represents the will of the people in the electoral college system. The popular vote is skewed by the majority of states where electoral votes aren't proportional, therefore discouraging people of the minority party in strongly partisan states from participating. (And probably a lot of people in the majority party, since they're sure their party is going to win the state.) It's impossible to equate the popular vote with a direct vote.