'18-'19 NBA Thread, aka "The #&$!&#* Warriors win again"

11 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I think the expectations are lower for Smith than for the other players on that list. Still, the Sixers are snake-bitten when it comes to injuries, as though the Basketball Gods(tm) resent the idea of "the Process".

To be fair, Zaire isn't part of "the Process," Hinkie has been gone for 4 years. And he was only around for three drafts. Simmons, Fulks, and Smith are products of the soon to be ended "Colangelo Era."

The 76ers improved on the backs of Simmons and players drafted or traded for by Hinkie. And the Colangelo era will have ended with more embarrassment than hoarding draft picks and letting young guys play. 

The basketball gods probably still hate Philly for not winning a championship with Barkley. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did come across one YouTube comment, that actually is a somewhat interesting idea:

It suggested a trade of bad contracts: Lakers and Rockets: Ryan Anderson/Luol Deng.

Lakers could get a shooter they desperately need, and Rockets could benefit from what remains of Deng's defense possibly improving their 2nd team defense.

I don't know myself, but it would be 2 teams getting the most out of the fact they have to live with a bad contract.

Note: Of course, maybe the Lakers can get Minnesota to take Deng off their hands, since Thibodeau seems determined to bring the circa 2012 Bulls back together.  :lol:

3 hours ago, Enforcer84 said:

So among the rules the NBA Board of Directors is looking at is resetting the shot clock to 14 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of 24 to encourage shooting. 

Thoughts?

That won't encourage scoring so much as requiring unprepared players to throw up more bad desperation shots. Offense in the NBA is all about finding, creating, and exploiting momentary weaknesses in the defense. You can't always do that in 14 seconds. Heck, a lot of times you can't do it in 24.

20 hours ago, Pariah said:

Innovative answer to a question nobody asked.

11 hours ago, Badger said:

Or if it aint broke don't try to fix it.

It's time for your meds grandpas. :D

They've been testing it out in G-League as well as other periphery leagues.

It's an interesting idea at the very least.

5 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I'm sorry, is the fact that it's used in the G-League an argument for the idea, or against it? I'm confused.

It's the dementia. I told you to take your meds.

You still mad they initiated the shot clock in the first place? Allowed Dunks? Made the lanes bigger? Added a team in New Orleans that became the Jazz? Started tracking steals, blocks, added the 3 pointer? 

It might blow up in their faces, like using the College 3 point line that one season. But as far as rule changes go, this one threatens to *checks notes* lessen holding the ball at the end of games. I'm not sure the downside there.

13 minutes ago, Enforcer84 said:

You still mad they initiated the shot clock in the first place? Allowed Dunks? Made the lanes bigger? Added a team in New Orleans that became the Jazz? Started tracking steals, blocks, added the 3 pointer? 

No, no, no, no, no, no, and no, respectively.

It seems to me like changing things for the sake of changing things. Have there been widespread complaints about holding the ball at the end of games? It seems to me the bigger issue is intentional fouls at the end of game. It make the last three minutes of a lot of games take. For. EVER.

Maybe it's a good idea. Maybe it's not. I just haven't heard anyone saying it's a problem.

Absolutely, and old man jabs aside, this was what I asked for when I said discuss.

And I think the NBA has been a lot more proactive (for better (see Shaq, Miken Rules) or worse (See Jordan Rules) and yet more subtle in rule changes than say the NFL. 

You want to hear another rule I've heard discussed? Now I haven't heard the NBA board of Directors mention this, but saw an article where some officials were quoted as knowing about it.

it's the "To Seven" rule.

Basically at I think it was at the 6 minute mark they stop the game, take the highest score of the two teams and add seven. The game ends when one team reaches that score.

That seems...crazy. I mean why bother with the rest of the game then, just play 21.

8 hours ago, Enforcer84 said:

It's the dementia. I told you to take your meds.

It might blow up in their faces, like using the College 3 point line that one season. But as far as rule changes go, this one threatens to *checks notes* lessen holding the ball at the end of games. I'm not sure the downside there.

Nothing wrong with holding the ball at the end of games, you shouldn't have let the other team get ahead by 10 points during the first 44-45 minutes of the game.

Oh, and I wish they added the blocks/steals earlier, so I want have to hear how Jordan had the highest PER average in history therefore he is greatest (despite Wilt being just a half a point behind and doesn't get credit for blocks and steals in his career,  while I don't know how blocks and steals are calculated into that, I am pretty sure it would put Chamberlain over Jordan, and possibly give a few other pre-1970 players a higher tier when looked at.**)

**Of course, they would then default back to WIlt played against other centers who were 6"2 and 150 lbs or something.  ANd that Shaq was 10 times greater, and would average much higher than 50 PPG in the 1960s, even though given the pace back then Fat Laker Shaq would be on the ground, heaving for air within 5 minutes of tipoff.

Edit: oh and the extra 24 is a reward for working to get the offensive rebound.  You should have gotten the defensive rebound if you didn't want that to happen.

8 hours ago, Pariah said:

No, no, no, no, no, no, and no, respectively.

It seems to me like changing things for the sake of changing things. Have there been widespread complaints about holding the ball at the end of games? It seems to me the bigger issue is intentional fouls at the end of game. It make the last three minutes of a lot of games take. For. EVER.

Maybe it's a good idea. Maybe it's not. I just haven't heard anyone saying it's a problem.

Yeah, the so-called Hack-A-Shaq (although given it's origins should probably be called Tilt-a-Wilt).  If you cant shoot a damn free throw above 60%, that is your problem.  I mean I could shoot free throws at 70%+ when I was playing at 8-9 years old (though I absolutely sucked at pretty much everything else other than wide open 15-footers, and rebounding when I got my elbows out:lol:)

7 hours ago, Enforcer84 said:

Absolutely, and old man jabs aside, this was what I asked for when I said discuss.

And I think the NBA has been a lot more proactive (for better (see Shaq, Miken Rules) or worse (See Jordan Rules) and yet more subtle in rule changes than say the NFL. 

You want to hear another rule I've heard discussed? Now I haven't heard the NBA board of Directors mention this, but saw an article where some officials were quoted as knowing about it.

it's the "To Seven" rule.

Basically at I think it was at the 6 minute mark they stop the game, take the highest score of the two teams and add seven. The game ends when one team reaches that score.

That seems...crazy. I mean why bother with the rest of the game then, just play 21.

THey also talk about 4-pointers, no, no, no.  (though if the "4-point" line is also called half-court, then...….maybe).  But, I've heard people suggest 4-5 ft past the 3 point line which makes "why bother with a 3 point line, then?

• 1 month later...

Defense in this seasons so far seems to consist less of preventing teams from scoring a lot and more of preventing teams from scoring points when they really need them. I think what everyone is blaming (or crediting, depending on your point of view) is the new "point of emphasis" that discourages the pushing and shoving typical of NBA players fighting for position.

Such things rarely last, though, and the sample size is hard to judge anything on. but so far NBA teams are giving away a lot of fries, coffees, and chicken nuggets to their fans. (You pay $200 to take your family to the game and you're happy about a six-piece box of bad nuggets the next day?)

On another note, the Lakers have had nothing approaching success so far. As I said earlier, they probably won't know what they have until 30-40 games into the season, but right now they must really regret missing out on Paul George. LBJ has no real #2 option right now, and his game demands one.

And Lonzo Ball is getting a rude awakening -- he's gotten a couple of starts due to the Rondo suspension and not done much to inspire Lebron's confidence. Add the ever-present headache of Dad and he could have a much briefer career than anyone expected, at least in LA. No father outside of royal families has done quite so much to sabotage his children's lives for his own gain as LaVar Ball. It's enraging and pitiful. Lonzo has talent -- not at the generational level he has been pushed as -- but his career has been so badly handled that it is affecting his ability to learn how to play with a legend. Note to dads: don;t tell the media that our rookie son who doesn't like to shoot and is still learning to distribute at the NBA level is better than the consensus best player on the planet and expect said best player to take kindly to it. Playing with Lebron is a fantastic opportunity for any young player with serious ambitions, and Lonzo and his dad are blowing it.

Wow.  :think::think:

Haven't seen that at all.  In only 4 full games with James, Lonzo seems to quickly get how to play with Lebron - keep moving.  Last 3 games he's shooting over 50%, 45% from 3, avgd 13 pts, 6 reb, 6 ast in less than 30 mins.  Much improved with Lebron so far and his dad has mostly kept quiet about him for awhile now.

On 8/23/2018 at 4:27 PM, Michael Hopcroft said:

That won't encourage scoring so much as requiring unprepared players to throw up more bad desperation shots. Offense in the NBA is all about finding, creating, and exploiting momentary weaknesses in the defense. You can't always do that in 14 seconds. Heck, a lot of times you can't do it in 24.

True, but after an offensive rebound is one of the best situations to do so.  Defense is packed in, hunting for the board.  Inside-out pass is much more effective than simple perimeter passing.  The other point is, it wouldn't shorten the time to find a shot by that much, simply because the ball's already in the front court.  That said...I do also wonder why it's even being suggested.  

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:52 AM, Starlord said:

Rockets get blown out at home.  Even the mighty Rockets must bow before the overwhelming negativity of "The Carmelo Syndrome".

*Coming 2018-2019 to an arena near you*  :)

Of course, dumb move of the offseason, I still give to the Wizards, who has had a problem of late with underachievement and locker room drama, and decided to solve that with Dwight Howard.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

True, but after an offensive rebound is one of the best situations to do so.  Defense is packed in, hunting for the board.  Inside-out pass is much more effective than simple perimeter passing.  The other point is, it wouldn't shorten the time to find a shot by that much, simply because the ball's already in the front court.  That said...I do also wonder why it's even being suggested.  

Yeah, in theory most teams will be in position to get up another shot quickly, but  I also feel like I am trying to unbalance things in favor of a team that got themselves down for the 40-some minutes, by forcing their opponents to give up the ball earlier, when they fought to keep the ball,  whereas I feel the team who worked for the rebound should get the rewards.  They shouldn't feel pressure to get the ball back up, unnecessarily.  A team in the lead should be able to run out the clock if they so desire.  (and really this will probably come into effect much more often at the end of games)

But, I think we both seem to agree it is a fix to a joint that isn't broken anyway.

There would be some impact at the end of a game, but I don't think that's a big factor.  The team wanting to burn clock has to miss the shot, then grab the board.  That's a longshot parlay, and even with a shorter secondary clock, you're looking at 35-40 seconds being burned...first shot after 20, takes a couple seconds before the rebound can happen, reset once possession is established, run another 12 before the next shot, then however long the ball's in the air at that point.

I think the league's idea is that the offense is set up, with the ball in the front court and the players in position.  Also note that 14 seconds is the reset if a non-shooting foul's committed in the front court with less than 14 seconds on the shot clock...it doesn't reset to 24.

So is anyone surprised the Cavs fired LeBron's choice for coach now that he's gone.  Apparently also the GM wants to play the kids, while Lue wanted to play the vets more, at least for now.  We know who's gonna win that one.  And the stats suggest they've got all the problems from last year, with no LeBron to compensate.  Worst 3 point shooting team in the league...take the fewest, make the fewest, pretty low in the rankings on percentage too.  AND worst in guarding the 3 point line;  the opponents don't take that many (relatively speaking) but they're hitting 42%.  Yeah, that' right there pretty much spells an 0-6 start...they're getting outscored from 3 by 15+ a game.

HOLY COW!!  Scoring stats, as have been noted.  Checking NBA.com...21 teams are averaging 110+ so far.  Only 4 are below 105, and they're still over 100.