Taser

Rebar

1 hour ago, Ninja-Bear said:

EB is the better way since Tasers aren’t typically designed to kill you. Unless your the Joker of course! ?

But the mechanic of a KA is that it goes against rED. That does seem to be what I'm looking to build.

Normal characters, with non-resistant ED will be affected, but anything resistant will stop it.

And the stun-only lim means that no body is applied.

1 hour ago, Rebar said:

But the mechanic of a KA is that it goes against rED. That does seem to be what I'm looking to build.

Normal characters, with non-resistant ED will be affected, but anything resistant will stop it.

Remeber Resistant Defenses also applies to Nomrmal Attacks and in sufficient quantity, Normal Attack can do Body. I’m not sure if it was brought up in fifth (which I assume you are using) but in 6th now it’s stated that Blast (renamed EB) is for Stun and Killing is for Body damage. So they discourage now low KA with High Stun as a build principal.

I generally do it as a RKA with +4 Stun continuous reduced penetrating  (ex: 1/2d6 RKA +4 Stun(+1) const.(+1/2) reduced pen (-1/4) OAF(-1) No Knockback (-1/4) Act=25, Real=10)  End battery 10 End OAF(-1)

Tasers have been known to induce heart attacks so I figure a couple of Body might be acceptable.

On 7/15/2018 at 6:43 PM, Rebar said:

It would probably be easier to apply a "Resistant ED Stops the Attack completely" Limitation, as Blast generates more Stun per DC than Killing Attacks.

The thing about Tasers is, as soon as you stop applying current, the target recovers instantly. They don't actually knock people out. What they do is lock up the target's muscles. So, it might be better to build them as some form of Suppress (just vs. STR with enough fixed effect to bring a target down to 0 STR, scaled to what you want to incapacitate should work based on the STR 0 rules) if you wanted to get technical.

35 minutes ago, Greywind said:

Not if the target has a pacemaker.

Side effect, and not worth any points due to the rarity.

Also: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17491105

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/118/Suppl_18/S_592.3

This last one actually has pics of what appear to be deceased humans, and supports that occasionally Tasers can cause heart failure:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/129/1/101#sec-1

49 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

The thing about Tasers is, as soon as you stop applying current, the target recovers instantly. They don't actually knock people out. What they do is lock up the target's muscles. So, it might be better to build them as some form of Suppress (just vs. STR with enough fixed effect to bring a target down to 0 STR, scaled to what you want to incapacitate should work based on the STR 0 rules) if you wanted to get technical.

While true, most people are designing tasers based on movies, comics, etc.  Its just like lasers don't go "PEW!", do knockback, or generally cause an object to explode.

Just now, dsatow said:

While true, most people are designing tasers based on movies, comics, etc.  Its just like lasers don't go "PEW!", do knockback, or generally cause an object to explode.

That's why I said "if you want to get technical." :D

I usually build lasers with No Knockback as a way of defining them as lasers. However, I don't otherwise try to make them realistic. Because small weaponized lasers aren't particularly realistic.

I was just offering up an optional way to look at the build.

Actually, I just realized it's moot.

Tasers would be a huge anachronism in a campaign set in the 80s.

I intended as standard issue for Port Authority Police.

Not.

I'm not even sure they'd have mace. Not standard issue, anyway.

Sorry.

21 hours ago, Rebar said:

Actually, I just realized it's moot.

Tasers would be a huge anachronism in a campaign set in the 80s.

I intended as standard issue for Port Authority Police.

Not.

I'm not even sure they'd have mace. Not standard issue, anyway.

Sorry.

Not an anachronism.  They were introduced in the late 70s.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmNXZbyvclw

According to wiki, Mace Spray was invented in the late 60s.  So mace spray (not pepper spray) has been around a while too.

4 hours ago, dsatow said:

Not an anachronism.  They were introduced in the late 70s.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmNXZbyvclw

According to wiki, Mace Spray was invented in the late 60s.  So mace spray (not pepper spray) has been around a while too.

Yes. I checked on that.

It existed, but, as I said, it would not have been standard issue for Police for a decade or more. Hardly right to include it as "standard equipment" in a package deal.

On 7/18/2018 at 10:43 PM, Pattern Ghost said:

The thing about Tasers is, as soon as you stop applying current, the target recovers instantly.

Instantly in real life (often lots of seconds) is very different from instantly in HERO (often a segment).  ?

I think that you are right though.  It very much depends on what you think a TASER actually is - an immobilising device that tends to do no long lasting damage or a weapon designed to knock people out rather than killing them.  The builds would be very different.

Doc