Taser

Rebar

As always, you should build the device depending on the effect you want (muscle lock or knockout?).  But for what it is worth, the official taser build from the Hero System Equipment Guide is:

Taser: Blast 8d6, NND (defense is insulated ED; +1) (80 Active Points); OAF (-1); Limited Range (8m; -¼), 1 Recoverable Charge (-1¼). Total cost: 23 points

This is the version that shoots a metal dart into the target and conducts electricity through wires that go from the dart to the taser.  You can do a no range version too with just a different set of limitations.

2 hours ago, Ockham's Spoon said:

As always, you should build the device depending on the effect you want (muscle lock or knockout?).  But for what it is worth, the official taser build from the Hero System Equipment Guide is:

Taser: Blast 8d6, NND (defense is insulated ED; +1) (80 Active Points); OAF (-1); Limited Range (8m; -¼), 1 Recoverable Charge (-1¼). Total cost: 23 points

This is the version that shoots a metal dart into the target and conducts electricity through wires that go from the dart to the taser.  You can do a no range version too with just a different set of limitations.

Huh. I thought it would be several charges, each in its own clip. So, you can pop a new one on, but it takes a phase or so.

15 hours ago, Rebar said:

Huh. I thought it would be several charges, each in its own clip. So, you can pop a new one on, but it takes a phase or so.

And it can be if so desired! That’s the beauty of Hero system. Even the official version is encouraged to be changed to suit your vision.

On 7/19/2018 at 9:00 PM, Ninja-Bear said:

There’s a difference between Mace and Pepper spray? I thought they were the same.

Nope. Pepper spray is an irritant that will hurt like hell. Mace (the military stuff, and some police as well) essentially overloads your nervous system.  I've been in the service and I've been exposed to both.

If you are looking for a comparison a stinging slap can really hurt, but imagine a paper cut all over your entire body including the eyes and lungs while someone is gleefully pouring lemon juice on it for about 20 minutes.

1 hour ago, g3taso said:

Nope. Pepper spray is an irritant that will hurt like hell. Mace (the military stuff, and some police as well) essentially overloads your nervous system.  I've been in the service and I've been exposed to both.

If you are looking for a comparison a stinging slap can really hurt, but imagine a paper cut all over your entire body including the eyes and lungs while someone is gleefully pouring lemon juice on it for about 20 minutes.

Unfortunately, the ubiquitous use of the terms 'pepper spray' and 'mace' has rendered this statement moot. The original formulation (chemical mace, 1965) could be either weaker or stronger than formulations termed 'pepper spray', dependent on the concentration used in the latter. It is currently nigh impossible to find a formulation under either term that does not contain capsaicin, and most countries regulate the CN gas component of chemical mace so that it isn't available outside the military.

3 hours ago, clnicholsusa said:

Unfortunately, the ubiquitous use of the terms 'pepper spray' and 'mace' has rendered this statement moot. The original formulation (chemical mace, 1965) could be either weaker or stronger than formulations termed 'pepper spray', dependent on the concentration used in the latter. It is currently nigh impossible to find a formulation under either term that does not contain capsaicin, and most countries regulate the CN gas component of chemical mace so that it isn't available outside the military.

I disagree. "Chemical Mace" in whatever modern form it takes is "Mace". I fully agree "It is currently nigh impossible to find a formulation under either term" in the civilian market "that does not contain capsaicin".  Capsaicin is less likely to really screw someone up or kill them. But Mace is military, and should not be confused with civilian incapacitants.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2018 at 1:15 PM, g3taso said:

But Mace is military, and should not be confused with civilian incapacitants.

Mace is commercially available, including the triple action variety containing CS. As far as I know, it's always been available on the civilian market.

On 7/22/2018 at 11:23 AM, g3taso said:

I have been tear gassed in the military multiple times (ships self defense force). It is not fun, but I never thought of it as overloading my nervous system. Your mucus membranes go into overdrive, as do saliva and tear production to attempt to clear the irritant. It's along the lines of the first 10-15 minutes of an anaphylactic reaction, before the point when your throat really closes up (yes, I have had those as well). It is rather scary the first couple times, but one of the company commanders in boot camp would go into the chamber and light the CN/CS and stand in there without a mask yelling at us to check our seals and stayed in the whole time without a mask, I think to show that it was possible to get used to the gas with enough exposure.

- E

I understand that 'Mace' has been used as branding to the point that most people do not understand what it is, but 'Mace' is not 'Chemical Mace'. The latter is the brand name of an early type of aerosol self-defense spray invented by Allan Lee Litman in 1965 which included  phenacyl chloride (CN) tear gas dissolved in hydrocarbon solvents. Phenacyl chloride is NOT legal and can't be sold to civilians.