Godzilla, King of the Monsters

Nobody's talking about the trailer for the new legendary Godzilla film? Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah to appear! Rodan looks pretty good...like a literal fiery phoenix. The others are only quick shots, but their basic appearance seems to match their Japanese counterparts. I'm not sold on the "each head of Ghidorah having a different personality" angle, but we'll see how it goes.

I'm guessing that the bright yellow lightning blasts tearing apart the installation is coming from Ghidorah, which is pretty awesome. The shot of Mothra spreading those massive wings looks stunning. Overall I think it looks really good.

Yeah, I'm with you Starlord. Species-shaming doesn't feel like a particularly good way to get audiences to see your movie. But I'm hoping that Farmiga's character will turn out to be a villain of sorts, where her zealotry undermines the validity and credibility of her views.

I have a feeling the female scientist may end up being the de facto villain of the film(probably by releasing King Ghidorah). The original didn't really have that great a script IMO and the trailer for it didn't match the final product. Now Michael Dougherty is a much bigger fan of the classic films than Edwards ever was, so hopefully that bodes well for the final film. Edwards left a bad taste in my mouth by both kissing up to Godzilla fans and them ignoring them(leaving out Akira Takarada's cameo for one big example) and generally just making a boring film that spent too much time hiding the monsters. It's Godzilla for God's sake! Like we don't know what he looks like? I'm cautiously optimistic that this turns out good. The monsters at least have the right look...and generate the awe I associate with kaiju.

For some reason I didn't have that much of a problem with not seeing more of Godzilla in the 2014 film. It definitely left me wanting more, which isn't such a bad thing. The only thing that tweaked me a little was that Godzilla didn't lead with the atomic-breath-down-the-throat move. I mean, I know that it was intended to be a "finishing move", the climax of an epic kaiju fight, and so had to come at the end of a back-and-forth struggle, but it made Godzilla look kinda stupid, which rubbed me the wrong way.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

I particularly like the contrast between the warm romanticism of Claire de Lune, and the depiction of epic devastation.

And yet that didn't work for me. That piece felt way too out of place, and so rather than providing some sort of thought-provoking contrast, it just felt like a mistake. As if the wrong audio track was enabled in the edit, and they didn't have time to fix it before sending it off to Comic-Con.

I thought this was the best trailer out of the big movies that are upcoming. The glimpses we got of the kaiju were great and left me wanting more and I like the tone being set. It should be a time of trepidation if these guys are walking the Earth.  I agree with  Dr. MID-Nite on the probable role of the scientist. 

The 'humanity virus' portion of the trailer seems like it's being said by the villain, well the human villain anyway since it's likely King Ghidorah will be the big bad of the movie, of the piece.  I've watched quite a few Godzilla movies after all and folks who support an anti-humanity stance in them tend to always be villains.  Ergo the 'species shaming' didn't bother me all that much.  Villains are supposed to express horrible views after all.

8 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Even though they haven't shown him breathing fire or anything, this version of Rodan looks like it may be Fire Rodan. It appeared to emerge from the cone of an erupting volcano; and its wings are edged with a glow like hot coals.

Most definitely. A good route to take...portraying him as a mythic phoenix is definitely the way to go and fits in with the premise of the film that has been revealed to us so far.