Godzilla, King of the Monsters

4 hours ago, Spence said:

Now we have a suddenly tiny Godzilla (compared to the carrier) and Big Ape with Axe that apparently absorbs atomic breath.

Well, Legendary/MonsterVerse Godzilla is 393 feet to Kong's 104 feet tall, according to the innertubes.

I'm not defending that axe. I found that a bit off-putting myself.

Edit: Nimitz-class carrier is 1040 feet long at the waterline.

Yes, Legendary Godzilla is nearly 400 feet tall, which in those shots looks just about right on top of a thousand-foot carrier. I don't know where this talk of "tiny Godzilla" keeps coming from. There aren't many sky scrapers in the world much taller than that. This is also the tallest Godzilla ever in live action. Only the anime "Godzilla Earth" is taller, at 1,000 feet in height. If that's your standard, then sure, call this Godzilla tiny. As for Kong, he was a little over 100 feet tall nearly fifty years ago when the Skull Island movie was set. Plainly he grew since then. HIs axe appears to be made from body parts from the corpse of one of Godzilla's relatives, in which case its capacity to absorb atomic breath makes perfect sense.

I'm sorry, Sketch, but I honestly don't see where you're getting that this movie is any less serious and more "kiddie absurd" than any of the other Legendary Godzilla movies. Just because Kong is wielding an axe? He used weapons on Skull Island too. Godzilla is on a rampage over the world, and humanity is desperate enough to try to press-gang Kong to fight him. How is that not serious?

I fear you're psyching yourself into hating it before you've even seen it.

I plotted a graph of Legendary Kong's growth, fitting it to two values we know (his size in 1973 and 2021), and one value I'm throwing in just for fun (his height as given in the promotional materials for the original 1933 film). Based on the resulting curve, it is evident that Legendary Kong is still on an upward growth trajectory.

kongsize.png

21 hours ago, zslane said:

I plotted a graph of Legendary Kong's growth, fitting it to two values we know (his size in 1973 and 2021), and one value I'm throwing in just for fun (his height as given in the promotional materials for the original 1933 film). Based on the resulting curve, it is evident that Legendary Kong is still on an upward growth trajectory.

kongsize.png

In which case, it is *VITAL* that Godzilla kill him in this movie.  At this rate he will be bigger than the moon in another few decades!

I can see that, and it's a legitimate subjective response. For my part, that the axe's appearance betrays its construction, and its construction explains its function, makes it that much cooler. Also, I can't remember another movie in this genre in which a kaiju wields a distinctive melee weapon. Giant robots, sure, but not giant creatures. This may be a precedent setter. 😎

I dunno, that would start to feel rather gimmicky to me. The premise the trailers seem to imply is that the ancestors of Godzilla and Kong were rivals for Alpha status among the Titans, so for the proto-Kong to fashion something specifically to level the playing field with Godz seems like an extraordinary but appropriate measure. A whole arsenal of such specialized weapons sounds like a giant ape version of Q from the Bond films. ;)

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

I dunno, that would start to feel rather gimmicky to me. The premise the trailers seem to imply is that the ancestors of Godzilla and Kong were rivals for Alpha status among the Titans, so for the proto-Kong to fashion something specifically to level the playing field with Godz seems like an extraordinary but appropriate measure. A whole arsenal of such specialized weapons sounds like a giant ape version of Q from the Bond films. ;)

It sounds more like something a Bat-Kaiju  would do.

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, watched the movie and it doesn't disappoint. This is a worthy sequel to G:KotM.

The weakest parts of the movie are the human storylines but, aside from a few "tech has come a long way huh" handwaves, they don't overpower the movie and actually tell a fairly cohesive story. There's very little overly melodramatic dialogue and humanity is actually useful in several kaiju fights.

And the kaiju fights rule. There are plenty. they are very smooth,  the fighters move like natural creatures and the fights are brutal. There are also no dust clouds obscuring the battles so you can see exactly what's going on.

As for who wins, the first fight isn't fair, the second is a pick'em and and the third is really decisive but the exhausted victor would've been killed by the film's villain if the loser hadn't come back to help. 

Bonus points for putting the Apex base a one hour drive from my house.

8 hours ago, Grailknight said:

And the kaiju fights rule. There are plenty.

It is always interesting to me how vastly differently people experience the same movie. James Whitbrook of io9 says this about the fights: "...the hits come so few and far between to justify slogging through the rest of it."

So which is it? Are there plenty of kaiju fights? Or are they rare, few and far between? I guess it comes down to one's expectations. If you're only expecting one (big) battle, then maybe it feels like this movie delivers plenty of fights, but if you were expecting wall-to-wall kaiju action then maybe it felt too sparse.

This is (one of many reasons) why I don't pay much attention to reviews (of anything, not just movies). There's no way to calibrate other people's assessments/opinions with my own to arrive at any useful conclusions about whether I will like it or not. In fact, as misleading as trailers typically are, I can usually tell if I'm going to like a movie much more from a trailer than anyone's review.

The kaiju are on the screen for what feels like the majority of the movie and the human stories are more closely involved with them(especially Kong's).

Besides the fights Godzilla has his "attack" on the base. Kong gets more screen time because this is basically his origin story. There is a long time before the first fight but it moves pretty crisply after that.