Godzilla, King of the Monsters

Gamera isn't as well known in the West as Godzilla, but outside of the Toho Studios monsters he's the most famous, and arguably second in popularity only to Godzilla in Japan. His first film was in 1965, and he starred in a dozen big screen releases into the current millennium, as well as comics, television and video games. For almost all his history Gamera has been portrayed as a hero, a protector of the world against other monsters, and particularly protective of children (feeding his popularity with young viewers). Part of his appeal may lie in his unique flying visuals, in which he withdraws his head and limbs into his shell and fires rocket-like jets out the holes, causing him to spin through the air like a fiery pinwheel.

4 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Gamera isn't as well known in the West as Godzilla, but outside of the Toho Studios monsters he's the most famous, and arguably second in popularity only to Godzilla in Japan. His first film was in 1965, and he starred in a dozen big screen releases into the current millennium, as well as comics, television and video games. For almost all his history Gamera has been portrayed as a hero, a protector of the world against other monsters, and particularly protective of children (feeding his popularity with young viewers). Part of his appeal may lie in his unique flying visuals, in which he withdraws his head and limbs into his shell and fires rocket-like jets out the holes, causing him to spin through the air like a fiery pinwheel.

You more or less covered it. Ultraman is more popular than Gamera and Godzilla put together in Japan though. Gamera also benefited from an excellent reboot in the 90's with a trilogy of critically and commercially lauded films.

In the most recent american godzilla film, iirc, they found a giant turtle shell that had obviously been attacked by some other creature, potentially Godzilla.

Dammit, having watched that preview, I want to see that movie. Were the 90s ones where they trapped the Gyros in a giant stadium cause some corporation/military wanted to keep them. Also, first time I ever saw Baragon was in a Gamera movie.

3 hours ago, slikmar said:

In the most recent american godzilla film, iirc, they found a giant turtle shell that had obviously been attacked by some other creature, potentially Godzilla.

Dammit, having watched that preview, I want to see that movie. Were the 90s ones where they trapped the Gyros in a giant stadium cause some corporation/military wanted to keep them. Also, first time I ever saw Baragon was in a Gamera movie.

The Gamera foe is called Barugon...and is a totally different creature from Toho's Baragon(which first appeared in 1965's Frankenstein Conquers The World).

21 hours ago, slikmar said:

no, there was a 2nd one where he was created when Mothra, Baragon and I believe Manda combine to battle Godzilla. They are the guardian monsters in

Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack

Pretty sure that was the one movie where he was a good guy.

This movie looks magnificent.

I loved the 2014 Godzilla movie, and this one is shaping up to be a worthy successor. On a side note, I couldn't get through the first act of Kong: Skull Island because of how braindead the insertion team behaved when trying to land itself on the island. I'm really hoping it won't be required viewing for the Kong vs. Godzilla movie being developed next.

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

Saw the thread title briefly and read it as 'Godzilla, King of the Mobsters'. He really will make you an offer you cannot refuse.

Can't wait for the look on Batman's face when he breaks into the Boss' house and Big G is there.

Oh, about the trailer : SQUEEEEEEEE!!!! that is all.

2 hours ago, zslane said:

This movie looks magnificent.

I loved the 2014 Godzilla movie, and this one is shaping up to be a worthy successor. On a side note, I couldn't get through the first act of Kong: Skull Island because of how braindead the insertion team behaved when trying to land itself on the island. I'm really hoping it won't be required viewing for the Kong vs. Godzilla movie being developed next.

agreed wholeheartedly. My brother hates that every movie has to escalate. First KK movie, one T-Rex. 2nd one bigger T-Rex. latest one, not just 1 but 2 and KK only being a young'un having to face them.

IMO Kong: Skull Island was not that good a movie by the standards of clever plot, interesting dialogue, or fleshed-out characters (except maybe for John C. Reilly). But it is lovely to look at, and if you enjoy imaginatively-designed giant monsters fighting humans and each other, the action is pretty spectacular and very entertaining.

But this latest trailer makes Godzilla: King of the Monsters look like every daikaiju fan's wet dream. :bounce:

Being a life long fan of all things kaiju, I really did enjoy the second trailer. It "felt" like a kaiju movie trailer....an element which the last two movies lacked IMO. The monsters look wonderful, there appears to be plenty of action, and....other kaiju are STRONGLY hinted at besides the main four. This will at least be fun to watch.