Godzilla, King of the Monsters

This is one variation of the [problem that in the real world, animals can only get so big and any creature big enough to destroy a city would collapse under its own weight and/or never be able to find enough food to survive even if they deplete entire ecosystems.

Magic (assuming it is real in your campaign)  might be able to find a way to get around it (hence dragons ion FH worlds need a lot of ambient magical energy to survive). So Godzilla might be not so much a force of nature as an avatar of nature who shows up when the global ecosystem is under an existential threat from human activity and the gods have no other way to get our attention. Which may be why he goes after cities, military installations, and other human-built targets but leaves natural areas alone.

Of course, this speculation probably has nothing in common with the mythology these movies are building for Godzilla. It's just me speculating on how I would use the big guy as a GM.

Except that he doesn't use his breath weapon very often. In fact, only in combat as far as we know, and that's a pretty rare event. It would be more efficient (and logical, at least to me) if Godzilla's metabolism and excretion process was at least as autonomic as that of normal animals.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2018 at 1:17 PM, Lord Liaden said:

Gamera isn't as well known in the West as Godzilla, but outside of the Toho Studios monsters he's the most famous, and arguably second in popularity only to Godzilla in Japan. His first film was in 1965, and he starred in a dozen big screen releases into the current millennium, as well as comics, television and video games. For almost all his history Gamera has been portrayed as a hero, a protector of the world against other monsters, and particularly protective of children (feeding his popularity with young viewers). Part of his appeal may lie in his unique flying visuals, in which he withdraws his head and limbs into his shell and fires rocket-like jets out the holes, causing him to spin through the air like a fiery pinwheel.

^ All of those things are why Gamera was my favorite growing up.

12 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Only a couple months left until we see if Western film makers can capture the feel of the kaiju genre....or if we have another dud. The trailer is extremely promising, but then...so was the trailer for G2014. I'm definitely excited to see it though. Can't get enough kaiju in my life....

I really liked the 2014 one.