Godzilla, King of the Monsters

I know, although I think that's partly due to the film's themes, ecological (hearkening to the Fukushima nuclear plant disaster of 2011) and political (depiction of the kind of Japanese government incompetence dealing with Gojira, that Japanese frequently criticize generally). Shin Gojira was the highest-grossing live-action Japanese film of 2016 and became the highest-grossing Japanese-produced Godzilla film in the franchise. It received 11 Japan Academy Prize nominations and won seven, including Picture of the Year and Director of the Year.

BTW I found a recent short but high-quality amateur video on YouTube depicting a battle between Shin Gojira and Legendary Godzilla.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Starlord said:

Unless we're being swerved, it looks like Godzilla's the villain in this one.  Sigh...I have no interest in that.

I'm sure by the end, it will be more like a buddy cop movie.

King Kong points to himself, "No, no! I told you: I'm Starsky and he's  Hutch."

I think it might be more accurate to call big G the antagonist in this movie, rather than the villain. The trailer makes a point of repeating that something seems to be provoking Godzilla to behave this way. The previous Legendary movies have established that this isn't normal behavior for Godzilla. I expect the essence of the human story line will be figuring out why G is doing this and resolving it. But there has to be something to motivate a "versus" scenario if you're going to make a "versus" movie. ;)  Besides, Godzilla rampaging through cities is an iconic element of his traditional history. He's been the villain in his movies at least as often as the hero.

Many people were wondering how Kong could match Godz's superior natural weaponry, especially his atomic breath. It looks like Kong will inherit an "anti-Godzilla" weapon. Online speculation is that it was made by one of Kong's ancestors out of body parts from another of Godzilla's species. That would explain how it can block his radiation, even apparently absorb it and turn it against the G-man. That should make the fight far more even.

I may be wrong, but didn't the leader of the "let all the monsters out to destroy the world to start over" guy escape last movie. Yes, he doesn't have the sound machine that was annoying Ghidora, but I wonder if he could duplicate it. Not to mention, didn't he have a piece of Ghidora at the end? Perhaps he is using that via "pheromones" to upset Big G. just throwing some thoughts out.

Shortest Godzilla was the first one, and a few successive ones, at 50 meters. This Godzilla is now defined at about 120 meters tall, or around 400 feet. That would fit the scale of the Nimitz-class American aircraft carrier we see in the trailer, which is slightly over 1,000 feet in length.. This is also the tallest Godzilla we've gotten in live-action movies. Tallest ever appears in the recent Japanese anime trilogy, at 300+ meters.

I can see how you'd view the axe that way from a plot perspective, but I reacted to it entirely differently. Kong is a king, and the last of his kind, thus the rightful heir to the axe fashioned by his ancestor for the previous battle of the titans. To me this felt like an Excalibur moment, an Anduril moment, a Mjolnir moment.