Help with building a certain character

Bloodmoon

Quite new to the system, and I wanted to make a character similar to Lung from Worm. 

In case you don't know, his ability essentially "ramps" him up as a fight progresses. The longer a fight goes on, the more armor plating he gains, the more size, claws, wings, enhanced reflexes and speed, and regeneration. How would I build this in 6th edition? 

Here is one way

(Total: 150 Active Cost, 19 Real Cost) Aid 3d6+1 (standard effect: 10 points), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1), Damage Over Time (10 damage increments, damage occurs every Turn, +2 1/2), Expanded Effect (x7 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (+3) (150 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x10 END; Pro-rated over 10 Turns; -4), One Use At A Time (-1), Only to Aid Self (-1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; needs room to grow; -1/4) (Real Cost: 19)

Lucius Alexander

Here is a palindromedary tagline

Lucious, I think I understand...most of this power. So you aid 7 characteristics at once, the Endurance cost is spread over 10 turns, you can only use the power once at a time, only to aid yourself, and and only in post segment 12. But I don't think I understand the delayed return rate or the damage over time. Can you explain those for me?

Delayed return rate means that the extra points from Aid fade at a rate of 5 per minute (normally they fade at a rate of 5 per turn) meaning they last longer. Damage over time I'm not 100% sure on (not in 5th Ed which I use) but I'm guessing that it means that the points gained are spread out over 10 turns, or 1 point per turn.

The "Standard Effect" means that each power gets 10 character points worth of Aid. (assuming that's not changed in 6th ed). You could take that out, which means that instead of a fixed 10 points, you'd roll and get between 4 and 19 points. Changing that is always an option too, but remember that with the x10 END mod, the END cost will be (basically) the active cost divided over 10 turns (which right now is 15 END per turn). You'd need some serious REC and/or END to backup the cost of this power.

This sounds like an OTG opportunity. Build the most powerful form of the character possible with SPD that is one more than you want it to be, let's call it Form Z, then slap as many remaining points as possible into Multiform (can only transform to Form Y, -1/2). Build Form Y with one step lower on the power scale and give this form a Multiform (can only transform into Form X and Form Z, -1/4). Build Form V, Form W, and Form X similar to Form Y, but stepping down power wise and only able to transform into one weaker and one stronger form. Build Form U as the weakest variant only able to transform into Form V. Now when the fighting starts, you transform as necessary to maintain the "gets stronger as the battle progresses" motif. Then when the fighting is over, how quickly the reverse transformation happens will depend on the phases you use to walk down the transformation ladder.
Now, has my use of the word 'transform' while discussing the power 'multiform' confused everyone else as much as it has me, or are we good?

Huh? Oh, it means Overload The Gm.

Some GM's might have a problem with spreading the endurance cost out over 10 turns. I know I would, since that great mitigates the effect of the limitation, making it worth less. Personally, I would limit the limitation like so:

Extra Time : 1 Minute for 4x endurance (-66 RP) = +26 RP or 40 RP net, means total power cost would be 45 RP.

Done another way, you could reduce the value of the limitation by the extra time amount, making it -2 1/2 (versus -4) and get 23 RP total. I might round the limitation up to 5 minutes (since 10 turns is more than 1 minute) in this case to split the difference and call it 24 RP.

But whatever works between you and the GM is all good. ?

9 hours ago, clnicholsusa said:

This sounds like an OTG opportunity. Build the most powerful form of the character possible with SPD that is one more than you want it to be, let's call it Form Z, then slap as many remaining points as possible into Multiform (can only transform to Form Y, -1/2). Build Form Y with one step lower on the power scale and give this form a Multiform (can only transform into Form X and Form Z, -1/4). Build Form V, Form W, and Form X similar to Form Y, but stepping down power wise and only able to transform into one weaker and one stronger form. Build Form U as the weakest variant only able to transform into Form V. Now when the fighting starts, you transform as necessary to maintain the "gets stronger as the battle progresses" motif. Then when the fighting is over, how quickly the reverse transformation happens will depend on the phases you use to walk down the transformation ladder.
Now, has my use of the word 'transform' while discussing the power 'multiform' confused everyone else as much as it has me, or are we good?

Huh? Oh, it means Overload The Gm.

As a GM, this does not seem all that overwhelming. More for the player, honestly. I would require you to have a character sheet for each form, of course. It might not fit the original concept as well, either, since each "shift" is a half phase action. Also, make sure the GM is on board with the alternate  Body / Stun loss rules or you could die when shifting back. Lastly, I would probably allow just a -1/4 limitation on the main multiform power "only allows shifting up or down one level". By the nature of multiform, there is no reason to buy it multiple times, you just pay +5 CP for doubling the number of forms so 15 CP in this case would handle all the forms. And if you change speeds between forms the math can get a bit wonky. Make sure your GM is on board with optional speed changes in a turn, otherwise you will be stuck at the slower speed until your next phase 12.

Overall, the aid solution seems a lot easier to manage, although speed changes still could be an issues.

- E

Edited by eepjr24
Spelling

15 hours ago, HaukeaCanada said:

Delayed return rate means that the extra points from Aid fade at a rate of 5 per minute (normally they fade at a rate of 5 per turn) meaning they last longer. Damage over time I'm not 100% sure on (not in 5th Ed which I use) but I'm guessing that it means that the points gained are spread out over 10 turns, or 1 point per turn.

Guess again.

It's 10 points each turn, for 10 turns, for  total gain of 100 pts. Given that the character needs to already have a basic Growth power, that's going to make them Gigantic. In the 17 to 32 meter height range if still humanoid.

Oh, and given that the total END cost is 150 points (!) I don't have any problem with saying it's pro-rated out over the 10 turns.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Over Time

Why are we talking complex aid stuff.  Isn’t this a case of limiting the maximum power, so you buy 30 PD, but at the start of a combat it is only 15 PD.  It gains 3PD every six segments until, half way through the third turn of combat he has 30PD.

you buy that as 15 PD, then buy +3 PD (only after fighting for 6 segments) then +3 PD ( only after 1 turn of combat).

you can do that with all the powers, can edit the rare at which they accumulate or why.  You might have armour that only activates after you have been hit, flight that only activates when you are falling at a certain speed, etc etc.

The trick is to get the value of the  limitations right, they will vary from campaign to campaign.

Doc