Adding Damage Classes with Advantages

I just discovered for the first time (re-reading the 6E books for the first time in a decade) that DCs add differently based on the amount of Advantages on the attack.

This blew my mind, and my initial reaction was to ignore it since I know the base DC progression well enough.

Can anyone articulate the value of going with the reduced DC increase rate that results from using the adding DCs/Advantages table? Is the juice or learning the table worth the squeeze?

Thinking of martial artists using weapons with Advantages, etc. Or someone with a big energy blast choosing to Haymaker it.

Well, the new Damage Classes also have to 'pay' for the Advantages to be on them. A Damage Class is 5 Points, if you have +1 worth of Advantages on a Power, adding a DC adds 10 Active Points of Power to it... It's a math thing.

Of course, math at the table can slow things down, so sometimes it's easier to ignore the rule and just add DCs from other sources on straight.

This all does track back to 4th Ed, just expanded explanations (4EHSR page 159 has a single sentence regarding Advantaged STR with added Damage Classes).

When I use it, I have players drop their common advantaged attacks into Excel and let it do the math for them then just have it handy. Its not a big deal for most, they have 1-2 attacks and it's easy to do. Folks with tons of gadgets mixed with Martial Arts it can be a longer list. But really it evens the playing field if you have those who prefer just plain old high dice attacks versus those with 2d6 double penetrating autofire reduced end attacks. I typically just browse through the sheets and make a judgement call if it is going to be needed for the campaign. If it becomes a problem later you can always inform folks you'll be using it going forward and send them a template.

- E

It's because these are damage adders.  

If you were building this as a power, it'd be listed as +2d6...then apply the armor piercing, for example.  So it'd cost 15 active, not 10.

The martial maneuvers are adders that aren't being applied in the usual sequence...(base cost + adders) * Advantages, divided by Limitations.  The adders are factored in before multiplying by the advantages.  Since they're being applied after here...the level of this adder has to account for the existing advantages it will inherit.

Consider a character with a 15 STR and an HKA.  On a plain HKA, the STR adds 1d6.  Give the HKA armor piercing.  It can't *still* get a full +1d6.