Questions regarding running HERO Fantasy

薔薇語

1 hour ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Sorry La Rose. What I meant was do you have any Hero books that even have a sample of magic spells which you can steal from?

Ah. I see. Relevant to this I have the core books and the Fantasy HERO book. I have number of other books in the broad category of HERO but which aren't quite relevant to a heroic level magic systems. Is there perhaps another book you would suggest? I was debating getting the 6th edition grimoire referenced above. I thought it would give me some easy access to a variety of monsters and just basic creatures. I often look up in the various supplemental books for Monsters when I have run fantasy before. 

La Rose

20 hours ago, Vondy said:

Do you mean the rules as presented in the Fantasy Hero genre book?

No, I mean

19 hours ago, eepjr24 said:

6e1, 391

9 hours ago, 薔薇語 said:

Lucius, you seemed to have some experience in this realm, so I was wondering if you could also  expand more upon that and what the system was like for you. I know you mentioned the one obvious issue you had, but where there any others? 

La Rose. 

4 hours ago, 薔薇語 said:

Ah. I see. Relevant to this I have the core books and the Fantasy HERO book. I have number of other books in the broad category of HERO but which aren't quite relevant to a heroic level magic systems. Is there perhaps another book you would suggest? I was debating getting the 6th edition grimoire referenced above. I thought it would give me some easy access to a variety of monsters and just basic creatures. I often look up in the various supplemental books for Monsters when I have run fantasy before. 

La Rose

Well, my first bit of advice is that I don't think you'll find monsters in the Grimoire.

I'll also say that using the 1/3 cost multiplier for spells as you are will help give spellcasters a nice variety of abilities without in my experience precipitating a spellcaster gold rush where everyone wants to be a mage.

I'm not feeling well this morning;  I may be back later when I'm thinking better.

Lucius Alexander

Sending the palindromedary out to the apothecary

12 hours ago, 薔薇語 said:

La Rose

Spells: the Hero System Grimoire and Fantasy Hero Grimoire. I prefer the former, but both have plenty of spells.

Creatures: The Hero System Bestiary. I've found I have to edit the monsters to fit the design assumptions and power levels of the games I run, but its a straightforward process most of the time.

12 hours ago, 薔薇語 said:

You may consider getting Fantasy Hero Complete as a concise version of the rules (including a basic skill-based magic system). It is a much shorter version of the 6e rules (95% compliance at least) and would be easier for new players to digest. It includes a lot of the stuff from Fantasy Hero in terms of character templates, etc., and skills and talents specific to the fantasy genre. 

10 hours ago, 薔薇語 said:

Indeed. It was from there that I got the idea of spells as skills as brought up in the OP. I was merely wanting more feedback on that subject, and in particular pitfalls to look out for or adjustments to make. 

La Rose. 

I agree that Vondy's spell method is straightforward and easy to get started. With each spell being a skill, it seems that you could simply add to the AP as you develop without making it too complicated with spell levels. You may require a quest or off-screen study time and a skill roll to change the spell, or perhaps have someone teach it, but that is easily varied based on your preference. (If you want to really make each spell scalable, you could make each spell a small VPP and vary its AP based on how much of a penalty you want to take on the RSR.)

Which brings up the skill roll issue: I think it's beneficial to have the "Requires Skill Roll" to simulate novice, intermediate, and advanced wizards without a spell level system. Generic Skill Levels could be bought to offset the skill penalties, and the more experienced players will have more skill levels. This simulates a novice being less reliable due to the RSR penalties, and how a more experienced wizard can virtually ignore the penalties once he has bought enough skill levels. So you could have a wizard with one big spell and lots of skill levels to make it more reliable, or a variety of spells of varying success based on their AP, or anything in between.

Does that all make sense?

• 3 weeks later...