Naked Limitation

HeroGM

From what you're telling me, I don't think this is an issue of a "naked Limitation" (which as far as I can recall offhand isn't a subject discussed in any of the rulebooks). Since the powers all draw from the same "pool" of Charges, you have a couple of options that occur to me:

1. Buy the abilities in a Power Framework that has 8 Charges on the reserve/pool. If Naked Advantages and Talents are involved, this will require the GM's permission, of course.

OR

2. Use the optional rules for a "pool" of Charges that multiple powers/abilities draw from, which you can find on APG2 49. This sounds like what you're after, but it's less "traditional" than the Limited Multipower/VPP route.

All that being said, someone else reading this may have an idea of his or her own. Anyone out there in Herodom Assembled have some other suggestions?

1. You can apply the variable limitation on all the powers and have the limitations sync'd.  Not the cheapest way, but plausible.
  2. You can have all the powers cost the same amount of end and then create an end reserve with only enough end to use the powers eight times.

• 2 years later...

I see there's no posts for awhile.  However, I want to put my two cents in.

Create a Custom Power, and call it "Naked Limitation" with the amount of negative points you want the limitations on. (Custom Power is the only power that can be negative without using Adders.)  Then create a Custom Power.

Lets us a VPP for example.  Let's say that the control cost is 80, but only thirty of that is based on an OIF.  First, you need to figure out how much the real cost on 30 active points with an OIF is.  In this case 20.  That  means that the OIF on 30 points is 20 points which is a difference of -10.  Once you know that you can do the following which reverts the real cost back to an active cost: (20 - 30) * 1.5 = -15.  You need to subtract 15 points from the active points of the control cost.  Now you build the Custom Power:

-10 Naked Limitation (-15 active points); OIF (-1/2).

This works great for VPPs, but MPs would be a lot more difficult.  I haven't found a good short cut for this yet.

Multipowers would be a bit more difficult as, not only you need to do this with the MP itself, you also need to do this with every power in the MP, or you can use Adders for the MP and each power.  Just call the Adder "Naked Limitation" then list the limitation(s) in the Adder.  The downside is that you need to play with the points to make the real cost correct.  However, there will be times that the real cost would never be correct with this method.  As you can see, the two options for Naked Limitations on an MP are not good.  Same goes for ECs from pre-6e (5e and below).

8 hours ago, Astromath said:

I see there's no posts for awhile.  However, I want to put my two cents in.

Create a Custom Power, and call it "Naked Limitation" with the amount of negative points you want the limitations on. (Custom Power is the only power that can be negative without using Adders.)  Then create a Custom Power.

Lets us a VPP for example.  Let's say that the control cost is 80, but only thirty of that is based on an OIF.  First, you need to figure out how much the real cost on 30 active points with an OIF is.  In this case 20.  That  means that the OIF on 30 points is 20 points which is a difference of -10.  Once you know that you can do the following which reverts the real cost back to an active cost: (20 - 30) * 1.5 = -15.  You need to subtract 15 points from the active points of the control cost.  Now you build the Custom Power:

-10 Naked Limitation (-15 active points); OIF (-1/2).

This works great for VPPs, but MPs would be a lot more difficult.  I haven't found a good short cut for this yet.

Multipowers would be a bit more difficult as, not only you need to do this with the MP itself, you also need to do this with every power in the MP, or you can use Adders for the MP and each power.  Just call the Adder "Naked Limitation" then list the limitation(s) in the Adder.  The downside is that you need to play with the points to make the real cost correct.  However, there will be times that the real cost would never be correct with this method.  As you can see, the two options for Naked Limitations on an MP are not good.  Same goes for ECs from pre-6e (5e and below).

I was thinking more along the lines of 

10d6 Energy Blast (-2 Must be naked to use this power) 

I think the question could be phrased a bit better, but the answer is:

You can set a limitation at the framework level; most commonly something like Gestures, or OIF, and when you put it on the framework, then the framework is cheaper, and every power in the block inherits it. I don’t know of a limitation with charges nor would I allow it. I don’t know if that helps or not!

There are a couple of different ways to do this. One, as many people have suggested, is to put all the powers into a framework and give the framework 8 charges. If the powers cannot be put into a framework, you can use Limited Power: Shared Charges. My first reaction is that it is worth -1/2, but, I haven't done any analysis to confirm it.

Ok. A list of powers that are not connected (no framework or unified power) using the same group of charges. I'm almost pulling it from Pathfinder. It is from APG2 as Steve said. In Hero Designer (should've been posted there I guess) how would you really do it?

Capture+_2021-01-30-08-53-34.png

That's not difficult or really a naked limitation. You just apply the Charges to power and add a -0 limitation "Shares charges with other powers having this limitation". Or you could just change the name of the Charges limitation to "Charge Pool X, 16 charges -0" or the like on all the powers that share the charges.

- E