College Football 2018-19

Pariah

19 hours ago, Cancer said:

That depends on details that I think vary from institution to institution.  Heck, Maryland being a state school, the Legislature may have a say in the matter if it gets nasty enough.

Doubt the legislature can get involved on the firing.  It's possible they may grill the regents, tho, as to why they acted in the manner they did, because of the now-necessary buyout aspect.  

But honestly, I doubt the Regents will move to save Durkin.  I don't think they have authority to overturn the firing;  that was something that came out Tuesday.  And even if they do, would they really be willing to use it?  With the governor already questioning how they acted, with extensive University opposition, with the massive public objections?  

Now here is a SERIOUSLY troubling story:

https://thebiglead.com/2018/11/01/maryland-punter-matthew-barber-practice-fight/

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bs-sp-maryland-football-altercation-20181101-story.html

And it won't surprise anyone that I completely agree with this:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/brennan/2018/10/31/dj-durkin-fired-maryland-football-board-regents-should-go/1838984002/

"Acceptance" as in Kubler Ross stages of grief?

No, I don't think so. I've got a sense of humor about it, but I find nothing about this defense acceptable. This is not our standard, I'm ready to fire a second DC at the end of this season.

Hire someone who can hold opposing teams to an average of 28 points or fewer. That will pretty much do it.

Another close call this week.

Car-crash-dodge-close-call.gif.bbdd14a6935a992e896d71b8e0ec749f.gif

Hard to have an offense this good, and a defense this bad. Cardiac test every week.

And this was Oklahoma State, which nearly always comes down to the wire (and nearly always ends up with the Pokes being disappointed), but that 2 point conversion at the end was the right call by Gundy. If the QB makes the pass they win the game.

Next week is Kansas, so that's something of a break anyway.

Maryland is currently up 14 points on Ohio State. It'll be interesting to see if Maryland can actually pull it out and win this game.

Given the despicable things that have happened with both programs in the past year, there's a part of me that hopes Karma will send a small meteor that direction later today. But I doubt it.

It's been a pretty good year for four of the state's five D1 schools.

Utah State, after losing at Michigan State by a touchdown on opening weekend, has reeled off ten straight wins, sits in the Top 25, and leads the MWC's Mountain division. A win against Boise State next week sends them to the conference championship game.

Utah has won the PAC-12 South (because nobody else wanted it, it could be argued) for the first time since joining the conference. Depending on the outcome of next week's Apple Cup, the Utes will play either Washington or Washington State--both of whom have already beaten Utah this year--for a trip to the Rose Bowl.

BYU, after last year's atrocious 4-9 season, has scraped together six wins and is bowl eligible. With 17 freshman playing significant minutes this season,  they'll love the extra month of practice time they get. The rivalry game with Utah--a game they haven't won in my eight-year-old daughter's lifetime--looms large in SLC next week.

Weber State, currently ranked 4th in the FCS Coaches Poll, has won a share of the Big Sky title, as well as the conference's automatic bid in the FCS playoffs. The Wilcats will get a bye week, then host a playoff game for only the third (or maybe fourth?) time in school history.

The only disappointment has been Southern Utah. After winning the Big Sky last season, they imploded this year with a 1-10 record that includes two different 5-game losing streaks.

The news is less pleasant in my home state of Colorado. Colorado State and Air Force, who will play in next week's season finale, have seven and eight losses, respectively. They'll both be home for the holidays. Colorado, after being 5-0 and ranked in the Top 25 at one point, has lost six in a row. A loss next week at Cal eliminates them from bowl eligibility as well. And FCS Northern Colorado hasn't been relevant in football since moving up from Division II.

The FCS tournament selection show airs in a bit over three hours. Go Wildcats!

19 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Hey, it's homage.  Big D means Dallas, and well, no true blue Sooner can *abide* anything related to Dallas.  So they're just giving the fans what they want.  No D.

Meh, we pretty much own Dallas. Tons of Sooner fans there.

Edit: just go be clear, none of the fans want this:

This is the defense that produced Gerald McCoy, Dan Cody, the Selmon Brothers, Dusty Dvoracek, Brian Bosworth, the list goes on and on. It's physically painful to watch them be arguably (and statistically unquestionably) one of the worst defenses in college football.