Older Versions of Champions Character Generators

Aermyr

So I'll get this out first...  I'm old.  I'm old enough to have the DOS Champions v4 character creator.  And old enough to have the Creation Workshop character generator with the Champions-specific add-on.  I have the current Hero Character Designer and use it frequently.  I have 4th/5th/6th edition sourcebooks, but (and here's the punch line) I like the v4 character generation system.  I'm also a fan of self-contained programs more than Java-based, due primarily to Sun/Oracle experience in my working life.  So...

1) is there any community interest or possibility of adding 4th edition to the Hero Character Designer?

2) is there any interest of possibility for a chargen that doesn't depend on Java?

3) Did I miss a forum topic that has this discussion already?

Thanks

4th Edition chargen: likely more work than it would ever return.  The system has moved on -- there's an ever-diminishing audience that would want a 4th edition chargen, making the proposition a hard one to justify beyond pure sentimentality.  

Non -Java HD: potentially, but MAJOR hurdles in the way.  You have the upfront effort to convert the codebase over to iOS/Android/Windows/MacOS/Linux implementations, plus the ongoing maintenance of what would then be multiple codebases, support for any changes to the system going forward (7th Edition, etc.), and general support across platforms.  Non-trivial.  And with an ever-diminishing audience for PnP RPGs. It would need to be more of a labor of love than even HD was.

While I'm completely open to people using the existing codebase for HD for other projects (including chargens), any products based off of said codebase would need to have an arrangement going in for ongoing royalties or up-front reimbursement - I've put a large amount of work into the code...while I'm not dependent on it, nor do I want to just give it away.

16 minutes ago, Aermyr said:

So I'll get this out first...  I'm old.  I'm old enough to have the DOS Champions v4 character creator.  And old enough to have the Creation Workshop character generator with the Champions-specific add-on.  I have the current Hero Character Designer and use it frequently.  I have 4th/5th/6th edition sourcebooks, but (and here's the punch line) I like the v4 character generation system.  I'm also a fan of self-contained programs more than Java-based, due primarily to Sun/Oracle experience in my working life.  So...

1) is there any community interest or possibility of adding 4th edition to the Hero Character Designer?

2) is there any interest of possibility for a chargen that doesn't depend on Java?

Thanks

There is a 5th Edition 250 Points Random Superhero Generator Thread in the Champions section.  You need three six sided die to use it.

I've been playing with implementing Ron's Champions Now! rules in Java, when I have the mental energy and alertness (sleep problems these days).  Started on powers.  The issues:

--identify all powers, implement minimum purchase amounts.

--identify all advantages and limitations

--develop a structure for powers to have adders and options

--combine everything properly...most particularly for Endurance, since Ron is using the nasty 3rd Ed endurance costs.  And, a power can have one of three different basic END cost structures, AND not every advantage actually increases the END cost.

--develop the GUIs, even in a very coarse form, to support data entry.  

I believe I have all the "simple powers" as I call it, done and updating properly real-time...so if you add another floating teleport location, the active cost, real cost, and END are all properly updated. .  Compound powers will be like in Hero Designer...a container for multiple simple powers.  I don't have Life Support or Enhanced Senses because these are structurally about the same as compound powers...a compilation of smaller sub-powers.  Then it'll be time for the frameworks, altho I don't believe those will be all that bad.  No, I'm NOT!!! gonna cross-check that a power's legal for inclusion in an EC.  I'm doing this for my amusement at this point.  That's too much work! :)

And overall...this has been not too bad because Champs Now is *simple* compared to 6th Ed.  Still quite a bit of work to do, and even more to clean up so, for example, power names display nicely.

Last, of course...one thing I'm not gonna try is the cross-checking....what advantages are legal, which aren't, for a given power?  What powers are legal in an EC?  Doesn't interest me but it'd have to be done for a commercial product.

No...I can't see trying to incorporate 4th Ed.  As noted, more trouble than it's worth.

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2018 at 3:46 PM, Aermyr said:

Thanks

Sentry built an app based on my 5th Edition random superhero Generator.

13 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Sentry built an app based on my 5th Edition random superhero Generator.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:46 PM, Aermyr said:

Thanks

something of a JUCTICE SOCETY VERSON of the champions ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 7:03 PM, Cassandra said:

There is a 5th Edition 250 Points Random Superhero Generator Thread in the Champions section.  You need three six sided die to use it.

It was also turned into a simple computer application that used to be downloadable for free from the Hero Games website. You can still do so from this archived webpage by clicking on, "Champions Random Hero Generator."

49 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

It was also turned into a simple computer application that used to be downloadable for free from the Hero Games website. You can still do so from this archived webpage by clicking on, "Champions Random Hero Generator."

Sentry built is with my permission.  I'm not entirely happy with the Skill Sets.

• 7 months later...
On 10/3/2018 at 12:32 PM, starblaze said:

Why does every character have normal cha maxima?

Brick and Speedster Characters don't because their STR/CON/PD/ED and DEX/SPD are higher then normal.

Two reasons.  One, because all other character types are human albeit highly trained athletic ones.  The Patriot Characters are the Ultimate Humans like Captain America. The female version has higher then normal DEX and pays the extra cost for the Normal Characteristics Maxima.  Two, for the Normal Characteristics Maxima disadvantage (20 Points) so they won't have to take any Vulnerabilities.

20 hours ago, Chris Goodwin said:

From 4th edition to 5th, pretty much the only changes in character creation are in costs.  It should be a matter of writing a rules template with the 4th edition costs, plus adding back in whatever few powers disappeared (e.g. Regeneration).  

They also added a lot more skills and changed the vehicles rules making them more expensive.