Grenade Pool

Rebar

HGv5.

If I were to build a Gadget Pool, only Grenades, how can I simulate the fact that he can only carry a maximum number of grenades at a time, but gets to choose the array?

If I put charges on the VPP, do all the slots automatically get 0End?

If I put charges on each slot, then I can't really pick and choose the number of charges each time he goes back to base - at least, not without rewriting the powers every time.

Yesterday: 8D6 Explosion, charges + 6D6 Area Effect, 6 charges

Today: 8D6 Explosion, charges + 6D6 Area Effect, 10 charges

Tomorrow:  8D6 Explosion, 12 charges

I'd have an infinite list!

I considered an End Reserve, but that doesn't really solve the problem.

5 hours ago, Rebar said:

HGv5.

If I were to build a Gadget Pool, only Grenades, how can I simulate the fact that he can only carry a maximum number of grenades at a time, but gets to choose the array?

If I put charges on the VPP, do all the slots automatically get 0End?

Yes, you can limit the VPP to 12 charges which means that all powers will use one of those charges.  

As for end cost, I don't know for sure.  As a GM, I'd let you go with 0 end, but others might interpret the rules as the VPP has a limited number of uses but the powers inside do not so they still cost end.  I'd check with your GM.

First, I'd probably go with a Multipower instead of a Limited VPP. The mechanics are cleaner and you probably aren't giving up much flexibility. (How many different kinds of grenades did you plan on using?)

The Multipower Pool will have 12 charges. This is maximum number of grenades you can carry at one time. It also has a Limitation reflecting the need to decide which powers you are using back at base. It is a Universal Focus (probably OIF), reflecting the ability to give the grenades to your teammates occasionally. 

Each slot can have up to 12 charges. This lets you restrict the number of grenades of a particular type. Maybe you could carry up to 12 fragmentation grenades, but no more than 4 firefighting foam grenades.

When you throw one of the grenades (or give it away), it comes out of both the overall charges for the multipower pool, and the charges for that slot. (Of course, if your teammate returns the grenade without using it, it comes back.)

1 hour ago, Tom Cowan said:

how would you price - grenade mix can only be changed at the base?

For the VPP something like :

72 pts Variable Power Pool (Gadget Pool), 62 base + 62 control cost,  (93 Active Points); Limited Special Effect Common SFX (Grenades Only; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (can only be changed in the Armory; -1/2), 12 Charges (-1/4); all slots OAF (Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness; -3/4)

For a multipower I would suggest something like:

31 pts Multipower, 62-point reserve,  (62 Active Points); 12 Charges (-1/4); all slots OAF (Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness; -3/4)

3 pts fixed slot with no extra limitations.

1 hour ago, dsatow said:

For a multipower I would suggest something like:

31 pts Multipower, 62-point reserve,  (62 Active Points); 12 Charges (-1/4); all slots OAF (Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness; -3/4)

3 pts fixed slot with no extra limitations.

I don't see how Requires Multiple Foci applies. Usually that's for powers that need more than one focus to work at full effect. Grenades tend to be unitary.

2 hours ago, Tom Cowan said:

how would you price - grenade mix can only be changed at the base?

I think it would probably be -1/2, assuming that the character can return to base relatively easily. If something routinely prevents the character from doing so it might be -1.

3 hours ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

I don't see how Requires Multiple Foci applies. Usually that's for powers that need more than one focus to work at full effect. Grenades tend to be unitary.

This was the requires multiple foci suggested by, IIRC, Steve Long to represent multiple items in a slot which can be taken partially away.  The example used was actually for grenades hanging off a belt.  It didn't seem right that a person could grab a grenade and take all the grenades.  The reduced effect is said to be the reduction in charges.

Grenadepool sounds like Deadpool’s younger brother.

====

After being attacked by ruthless cloned mutant squirrels who were after his brother, Deadpool, Suede Wilson lay close to death.

Deadpool, thinking quickly, emptied a pile of pixie sticks to build a crude transfusion device and infused his own blood into his brother’s dying body.

The regenerative factors of Deadpool’s blood brought Suede back from the brink of death...but unfortunately did nothing to fix his chronically bad eyesight.

Deadpool brought his brother into the merc business but after several unfortunate incidents with innocent schoolchildren, it became clear that Suede should leave firearms to the professionals.

So today as “Grenadepool”, Suede Wilson uses his mercenary skills in an unending battle against armies of mutant squirrels...which hopefully exist in the real world and not just in his head.

After all, if the squirrels really exist, he might win his battle someday and quit shooting grenades all over the place.

Assuming the VPP, the Control cost would have the limitation of 12 Charges, and the individual slots (for that day) would have the limitation of how ever many charges (<= 12) you select (which itself makes them not cost END). 

So assuming the VPP writeup that dsatow provided:

Yesterday: 8D6 Explosion, charges + 6D6 Area Effect, 6 charges

• 8d6 EB, Explosion (+1/2), Multiple OAF (priced as OIF; -1/2), 6 Charges (-3/4).  60 AP, 27 RP
  • 6d6 EB, AoE (+1), Multiple OAF (priced as OIF; -1/2), 6 Charges (-3/4).  60 AP, 27 RP

Today: 8D6 Explosion, charges + 6D6 Area Effect, 10 charges

• 8d6 EB, Explosion (+1/2), Multiple OAF (priced as OIF; -1/2), 2 Charges (-1 1/2).  60 AP, 20 RP
  • 6d6 EB, AoE (+1), Multiple OAF (priced as OIF; -1/2), 10 Charges (-1/4).  60 AP, 34 RP

Tomorrow:  8D6 Explosion, 12 charges

• 8d6 EB, Explosion (+1/2), Multiple OAF (priced as OIF; -1/2), 12 Charges (-1/4).  60 AP, 34 RP

This does limit him to a maximum of 12 total charges in a day, no matter how many times he goes back to the armory and switches around his slots. 

If you're looking for the ability to only carry up to 12 grenades at any given time, but he has to go back to the armory to re-supply, then I'd think you wouldn't be able to put Charges on either the VPP or the slots**, and the Limitation on the VPP for only carrying 12 grenades at a time would be -0 (since -1/4 would be the same as limiting the VPP to 12 Charges per day).  In this case, you most likely would need to buy your slots as 0 END. 

On a side note, whether VPP or Multipower, unless he has a grenade launcher, you could add Range Based on STR (-1/4).  And if he does use a grenade launcher, then he would have a straight OAF instead of Multiple OAF (as OIF).

**I say that you can't really put Charges on the slots because if you start off with, say 4 Charges (-1) on your Frag grenades, use all four, and then go back to the armory, sorry, no more Frags because you've already used your 4 Charges for that day.

On 8/3/2018 at 1:59 PM, IndianaJoe3 said:

I considered this +1/4 addy on Focus. It makes no sense to me as an addy (since it limits), so I abandoned it.

Instead, I bought the grenades with 'range based on STR', OIF.

Then I bought grenade launcher: OAF; naked advantage: range (but only at +1/4, to cancel out the based-on-STR limit) along with a few OCV levels.

So, he needs the grenades and the launcher to use the grenades to full effect.