Random Television Quotes

Cassandra

"As far as I am concerned you can destroy whatever you like. You can stir up a thousand revolutions, you can wade in blood up to your armpits. Oh, and you can lead the rabble to victory, whatever that might mean. Just so long as there is an end to it. When Star One is gone it is finished, Blake. And I want it finished. I want it over and done with. I want to be free."

That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind

Yo Taylor, I’m really happy for you, I’ll let you finish, but Beyoncé has one of the best videos of all time. One of the best videos of all time.

Know your role and shut your mouth !

If you smell what the Rock is cooking

And that's the bottom line, 'cuz Stone Cold said so !

Rest........In......Peace........

Shut your role and know your mouth

I'm Ric Flair ! The Stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin' n' dealin' son of a gun !

Yes, it’s terribly simple. The good guys are always stalwart and true, the bad guys are easily distinguished by their pointy horns or black hats, and, uh, we always defeat them and save the day. No one ever dies, and everybody lives happily ever after.

Second post in a pompous, didactic series.

Mexico City, 18 October 1968: Bob Beamon's long jump

Context: The 1968 Mexico City Summer Olympics were marked by some controversy; Tommie Smith and John Carlos, winners of the gold and bronze medals in the 200 meter race, demonstrated for civil rights on the medal stand (the winner of the silver medal, the Australian Peter Norman, wore a badge in support of them).  The IOC ended up banning Smith and Carlos for life, and Norman was left off the Australian team in 1972.  Some things don't change.

Beamon's first attempt in the long jump was so big the electronic measuring system in place could not measure it.  Officials used a cloth tape for the jump, and found he had broken the world record by more than half a meter (almost two feet, more than three times cumulative increase in the world record over the previous 33 years), reaching 8.90 m = 29 feet 2.5 inches.  The jump would finally be beaten in 1991 (by 5 cm), and that record still stands.

There's a revisiting of the event, with subsequent discussion, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEt_Xgg8dzc

Why'd I miss this one?  I was living in Germany at the time (we'd been there about three months), with no access to television.

"Twenty-nine feet two and a half inches!"

I love it, when a plan comes together !

In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.

Shut up, fool !

By golly, Jim, I'm beginning to think I can cure a rainy day !

He's dead, Jim

I canna' change the laws of physics

It is a good day to die

Make it so

Third of a pompous, didactic series.

Augusta, Georgia, 13 April 1986: final day of that year's Masters' Golf Tournament

In the early 1980s, strong golfers from the rest of the world were appearing in numbers for the first time on the American tour, winning tournaments and overshadowing American competitors.  Gary Player of South Africa first broke in in the 1960s, winning the Masters in 1961; Seve Ballesteros of Spain was the first European to win the Masters in 1980.  In the 1986 tournament, Bernhard Langer of Germany was defending champion, and Ballesteros and the Australian Greg Norman threatened on the final day.  Americans Tom Kite, Tom Watson, and Jack Nicklaus were also in the hunt.  Nicklaus, age 46, was clearly in the waning stages of his legendary career, having won only two tour events since 1980.

Nicklaus had put two solid rounds together on days 2 and 3, but was 4 strokes back of the leaders (Langer and Norman) when TV coverage opened on the final day.  Ballesteros gained the lead, Langer faded, Norman scrambled, and Kite played consistently but missed brilliancy.  Nicklaus birdied the 9th, 10th, and 11th holes, but scored a bogey at the 12th which put him three back of the leaders ... and then put on a charge in front of the TV cameras that might be finest show (and accompanied by the greatest ovations) the sport has ever presented.  When he took his tee shot on the 18th, Jack was nine under par over his last nine holes, and in the lead by one.  Ballesteros struck disaster on the 15th, Kite never made the outstanding putt needed to claim the lead for himself, and Norman faltered on the final hole.  Nicklaus won the Masters for the sixth time (he'd won his first in 1963, at age 23), and his eighteenth major professional tournament; both of those marks remain unmatched.

The TV coverage has been sliced into thirteen 15-minute pieces (with nearly all the ads edited away); the first in that sequence is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1G0TWFSSK8 .  The quote outside the spoiler tags is from segment nine.

Why'd I miss this event?  I defended my PhD thesis on May 27 1986, which required the final draft be delivered to the committee a month in advance.  On April 13 I had two weeks left before that deadline.  To paraphrase a comment in segment 8 of the coverage video, I never needed to concentrate more.

This -- is for sole possession of the lead.  ...  Maybe  ... Yes SIR!