Random Television Quotes

Cassandra

Thunderbirds are go !

What I find fantastic is any notion that there are answers beyond the realm of science. The answers are there. You just have to know where to look.

Do I have the right ? Simply touch one wire against the other and that's it. The Daleks cease to exist. Hundreds of millions of people, thousands of generations can live without fear, in peace, and never even know the word Dalek.

Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed.

Stand by for action ! We are about to launch Stingray ! Anything can happen in the next half hour !

This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen. Our next strike is imminent. We will show you how weak you really are. Within the next four hours, we will destroy key links in your Frost Line Outer Space Defense System. We will be avenged

I am not a number ! I am a free man !

First in a series of thread hijacks.  Most of them will be on-topic.  I'll try to pick out the famous line at the end.

As I get older, I realize more and more that things I take for granted as touchstones are forgotten or overlooked by latter-day know-it-all types, especially sports blog idiots who inevitably discount anything that happened before they were done wetting their diapers.

So for your education, here's a highly idiosyncratic list of Great Sporting Events from the Last Third of the 20th Century (US Version).  The national bias figures large here, and folks e.g. from Russia would choose a very different set.  You are welcome to post your own favorites in respone.  I admit I'm blinded by my biases; I'd be educated to hear responses from folks with other biases.

Each event is behind spoiler tags.  Each event is a different sport.  Half of them occurred in the US.  The order is idiosyncratic.  Strangely enough, I didn't see any of these in real time as they occurred, either in person or on TV; life happens.

This one's obvious, so it comes first.

The scene: Winter Olympics, Lake Placid, NY, 22 Feb 1980: The "Miracle on Ice".  USA defeats USSR in the men's ice hockey medal round play, 4-3.

Context: Ice hockey was, with apologies to our Canadian friends, one of those things the Soviets owned in the post-Stalin era.  Coming into the 1980 Olympics, they had won five of the previous six Olympic gold medals in the sport.  President Reagan would give his "Evil Empire" speech in 1983, but that was merely giving voice to a lot of popular sentiment while gathering up votes.  The contrast between the coldly professional Soviet team and the young and emotional American squad (directed by Herb Brooks, a flamboyant and abrasive coach; the arena would later be named for him) played up to the popular American mythos.  They made a movie out of it, of course; I've never watched that.

The final minute is etched into memory, and if you're not old enough to have seen it already, you can find it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYscemhnf88  .  It made Al Michaels immortal.

Why did I miss this one?  I was playing in an intramural basketball game at the same time, and sprained the living **** out of my ankle in the game, resulting in a trip to medical assistance.  I saw a partial replay several hours later.

Do you believe in miracles?  YES!!!

16 minutes ago, Cancer said:

First in a series of thread hijacks.  Most of them will be on-topic.  I'll try to pick out the famous line at the end.

Reveal hidden contents

As I get older, I realize more and more that things I take for granted as touchstones are forgotten or overlooked by latter-day know-it-all types, especially sports blog idiots who inevitably discount anything that happened before they were done wetting their diapers.

So for your education, here's a highly idiosyncratic list of Great Sporting Events from the Last Third of the 20th Century (US Version).  The national bias figures large here, and folks e.g. from Russia would choose a very different set.  You are welcome to post your own favorites in respone.  I admit I'm blinded by my biases; I'd be educated to hear responses from folks with other biases.

Each event is behind spoiler tags.  Each event is a different sport.  Half of them occurred in the US.  The order is idiosyncratic.  Strangely enough, I didn't see any of these in real time as they occurred, either in person or on TV; life happens.

This one's obvious, so it comes first.

Reveal hidden contents

The scene: Winter Olympics, Lake Placid, NY, 22 Feb 1980: The "Miracle on Ice".  USA defeats USSR in the men's ice hockey medal round play, 4-3.

Context: Ice hockey was, with apologies to our Canadian friends, one of those things the Soviets owned in the post-Stalin era.  Coming into the 1980 Olympics, they had won five of the previous six Olympic gold medals in the sport.  President Reagan would give his "Evil Empire" speech in 1983, but that was merely giving voice to a lot of popular sentiment while gathering up votes.  The contrast between the coldly professional Soviet team and the young and emotional American squad (directed by Herb Brooks, a flamboyant and abrasive coach; the arena would later be named for him) played up to the popular American mythos.  They made a movie out of it, of course; I've never watched that.

The final minute is etched into memory, and if you're not old enough to have seen it already, you can find it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYscemhnf88  .  It made Al Michaels immortal.

Why did I miss this one?  I was playing in an intramural basketball game at the same time, and sprained the living **** out of my ankle in the game, resulting in a trip to medical assistance.  I saw a partial replay several hours later.

Do you believe in miracles?  YES!!!

Check out the movie Miracle with Kurt Russell as Coach Herb Brooks

Book em Danno.

As God is my witness he is broken in half !

You just made the list !

Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass

This is Your Life.

Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its 5-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before

Stop the pigeon

Drat, drat and double drat !

And now, here they are ! The most daredevil group of daffy drivers to ever whirl their wheels in the Wacky Races ! Competing for the title of the world's wackiest racer ! The cars are approaching the starting line. First is the Turbo Terrific driven by Peter Perfect. Next, Rufus Roughcut and Sawtooth in the Buzz Wagon. Maneuvering for position is the Army Surplus Special. Right behind is the Anthill Mob in their Bulletproof Bomb. And there's ingenious inventor, Pat Pending, in his Convert-a-Car. Oh, and here's the lovely Penelope Pitstop, the Glamour Gal of the Gas Pedal. Next, we have the Bouldermobile with the Slag Brothers, Rock and Gravel. Lurching along is the Creepy Coupe with the Gruesome Twosome. And right on their tail is the Red Maxx. And there's the Arkansas Chug-a-Bug with Luke and Blubber Bear. Sneaking along last is that Mean Machine with those double-dealing do-badders, Dick Dastardly and his sidekick, Muttley. And even now, they're up to some dirty trick. And they're off... to a standing start. And why not ? They've been chained to a post by shifty Dick Dastardly, who shifts into the wrong gear. And away they go on the Way-Out Wacky Races !

"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and put it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come at too high a price. I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?"

"Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander. Daughter of Andre and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you will ever see. God sent me."

" A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better. Faster. Stronger."

Lucius Alexander

A tagline barely amusing. We can rebuild it. We have the palindromedary. We can make it better than it was. Better. Funnier. Or at least,  longer.