Random Television Quotes

Cassandra

Fourth of a pompous, didactic series.

Belmont Park, Elmont, NY, 9 June 1973: Secretariat wins the Triple Crown

In early spring of 1973, there had not been a Triple Crown winner since 1948.  Secretariat had won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness each by 2 1/2 lengths, while setting still-unsurpassed course records, and was an odds-on favorite to win the Belmont; only five horses competed.

After a clean start, Sham (who had finished second in other two races) and Secretariat ran the first half mile even at a fast pace.  Sham tired (and ultimately finished last) after that, while Secretariat increased in speed and ran more than half the race alone. Ultimately he annihilated the field, broke the race time record by more than 2 seconds, and had a margin of victory of 31 lengths (about a sixteenth of a mile), all these records still unsurpassed.

The race can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfCMtaNiMDM If Al Michaels set an iconic sound bite in 1980, Chic Anderson set another here, as Secretariat staked a legitimate claim to Greatest Of All Time status.  This event, like the 1980 Lake Placid scene, was incorporated into a movie; and just like that one, I haven't bothered to watch the movie.

Why'd I miss this event?  It was the weekend after school let out; I had just finished my junior year of high school.  You think I was gonna stay home and watch horse racing?

"Secretariat is widening now!  He is moving like a tremendous machine!"

"What kind of welcome party would this be if it were quiet? I mean, duh, Booooring! You see, I saw you when you first got here, remember? You were all, "Hello," and I was all— [gasps] Remember? You see, I never saw you before, and if I never saw you before, that means you’re new. ’Cause I know everypony, and I mean everypony, in Ponyville. And if you’re new, it meant you hadn’t met anyone yet, and if you haven’t met anyone yet, you must not have any friends, And if you don’t have any friends, then you must be lonely, and that made me so sad. And I had an idea, and that’s why I went -- [gasps] I should throw a great big, ginormous, super-duper spectacular welcome party and invite everyone in Ponyville! See? And now you have lots and lots of friends!"

"I don't pass sentence. That's for the courts to decide. But this time - this time - I am sorely tempted to do the job myself!"

"Stop this, Fugate! Hill committed no crime against you!"
"He did worse than that! He made me late!"

"I don't need your help!"
" Is that a fact? An empire crumbling? A marriage shattered? A son lost? Sure, you're doing fine."