Random Television Quotes

Cassandra

You are one of the most evil and corrupt beings our Time Lord race has ever produced. Your crimes are without number and your villainy without end

I only need two things. Your submission and your obedience to MY WILL !

Nobody could be more devoted to the cause of peace than I ! As a commissioner of Earth's Interplanetary Police, I have devoted my life to the cause of law and order; And law and order can only exist in a time of peace.

Before we start all that, I just wanted to say: thank you. Thank you, one and all, you ugly, fat-faced bunch of wet, snivelling traitors.

Fifth in a didactic series.  It's been a while; the fourth was here.

The Rose Bowl, 10 July 1999: FIFA Women's World Cup final

The flavor of this event is reminiscent of Lake Placid in its international context, with this being the showdown between two political rivals and powerhouses in women's soccer, China and the US.  It was a hot, sunny day in Pasadena, with more than 90,000 in attendance: this remains the largest-ever crowd for a women's sporting event.

The two teams played the match defensively, with few chances for either side.  Regulation time ended 0-0.  The best chance in the match went to the Chinese in extra time, when a header by Fan Yunjie was kept out of the goal at the goal line by defender Kristine Lily.  Extra time also ended scoreless.

The Chinese shot first in the resulting shootout, which saw only one save, when Brianna Scurry stopped Liu Ling's attempt, the third of the five shots.  (Viewers these days will find Scurry grossly off her line at the time the saved kick was taken; nowadays it would certainly be called back, but at that time this sort of thing was enforced rather more loosely.)  The US's final shooter, Brandi Chastain, put her shot past Chinese keeper Gao Hong, and the US won 5-4 in the shootout.

Chastain's celebration was iconic and famous all by itself, but it isn't verbal.  It's at 12:12 in the linked clip.

There's Youtube replay of the shootout at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uos71JHj6nE

Why'd I miss this one?  It was a warm, sunny Saturday, the day before my birthday, and my kids were 2 and 4 years old respectively.  We went to the park.

Goal!