Walking Autofire Attacks to the Target

BoloOfEarth

I have a vague recollection, from back in the pre-FREd days, of characters with Autofire attacks being able to sacrifice some shots to help increase their chances to hit targets.  (Kinda like the Autofire variation on "spreading the blast.") However, looking through the various books, I don't see anything about that at all, making me think perhaps this was a house rule. 

Basically, it was something along the lines of:  the attacker could sacrifice some of his autofire attacks, with every 2 guaranteed-missed shots giving him +1 OCV as he "walks" the gunfire to the target.  For example, if a soldier with a 5 OCV is firing a minigun (Autofire 10 shots) at a villain with 8 DCV, the solider could sacrifice 6 of his 10 shots to get +3 OCV, giving him an 11- to hit.  But even if he rolled 3, he doesn't hit with any of those 6 shots he gave away.

Does this sound at all familiar to anybody?  Or was it just a house rule (as I suspect it may have been)?

This sounds like spreading from 5e

"This optional rule allows a character to “spread” a Ranged attack to get a better chance to hit a target. Effectively, the character “widens” the
attack at the cost of doing less damage. The character does -1 Damage Class for every +1 OCV he wants. He makes his Attack Roll against the
target’s DCV".
"

or.... (creepy music spinning up)... your worst nightmare!  Bad comparison actually, since I agree with KillerShrike in that spreading is a gem of a rule.

There is also the Precise Autofire skill. 5 points in most genres, also listed as a basic firearm maneuver in MHIRPG.

PRECISE AUTOFIRE
Precise Autofire allows a character to use an Autofire weapon against a single target with great accuracy. He can only hit the target once, but he receives a +1 OCV bonus for every two shots fired at the target. (Thus, 2-3 shots means +1 OCV; 4-5 shots +2 OCV; 6-7 shots +3 OCV; and so on.)

- E

12 hours ago, g3taso said:

This sounds like spreading from 5e

"This optional rule allows a character to “spread” a Ranged attack to get a better chance to hit a target. Effectively, the character “widens” the
attack at the cost of doing less damage. The character does -1 Damage Class for every +1 OCV he wants. He makes his Attack Roll against the
target’s DCV".

Spreading could work for some autofire attacks, but by default all firearms are built with Beam, which is specifically excluded from being able to use the Spread maneuver.

- E

18 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I have a vague recollection, from back in the pre-FREd days, of characters with Autofire attacks being able to sacrifice some shots to help increase their chances to hit targets.  (Kinda like the Autofire variation on "spreading the blast.") However, looking through the various books, I don't see anything about that at all, making me think perhaps this was a house rule. 

Basically, it was something along the lines of:  the attacker could sacrifice some of his autofire attacks, with every 2 guaranteed-missed shots giving him +1 OCV as he "walks" the gunfire to the target.  For example, if a soldier with a 5 OCV is firing a minigun (Autofire 10 shots) at a villain with 8 DCV, the solider could sacrifice 6 of his 10 shots to get +3 OCV, giving him an 11- to hit.  But even if he rolled 3, he doesn't hit with any of those 6 shots he gave away.

Does this sound at all familiar to anybody?  Or was it just a house rule (as I suspect it may have been)?

1 hour ago, Doc Democracy said:

I think I remember that.  In my head you could autofire to hit multiple times or you could take +4 to hit once...

must be way way back in the first edition with a colour cover...

I believe the following from the 'Weapon Advantages' list within the 1st Edition rulebook is what you're referring to.  (Talk about a trip in the WABAC machine to find this; wow!)

Weapon may Autofire: Autofire allows a weapon to hit a target more than once in a single round. Autofire weapons give +4 OCV. The range modifier of an autofiring weapon is halved (x1/2), rounding up. If the character makes a normal Attack Roll, he hits the target once. The character hits the target again for every 2 points he makes his Attack Roll by.

Example: After all modifiers, a villain needs a 9 or less to hit our hero. He gets lucky and rolls a 6. He hits the hero twice, once for rolling 9 or less, and again for rolling (9-2=7) 7 or less. The villain then rolls damage for the two attacks. Each attack is applied to the hero's defenses separately. Each Autofire shot takes 10 uses or normal shots fran a weapon.
Multiple = +1/4.

Citation: p41 of Champions: The Superhero Role Playing Game (by Steve Peterson And George MacDonald), copyright 1981