Sign in to follow this  
Jagged

Maptool and Hero System

I am a contributor to the Maptool project.  If you are unfamiliar with Maptool its a open source, totally free virtual table top (VTT) application. Its is probably the longest running VTT project, has more functionality than any other and is still growing. What it is definitely NOT is the nicest looking or easiest to use 😉 We like to refer to it as the Millennium Falcon of VTTs as it might not look like much but she's got it where it counts kid.

Anyway, I am hoping to run a hero system campaign in the not to distant future and am in the process of trying to improve some of the hex based features (such as drawing tools and area effect templates) but was wondering if there are any missing killer features that would make running a hero system game that much easier?

Have you ever thought, "It would be so much easier to play hero system if I could just ..." ?  If you have I would love to hear what it is and maybe I can do something about it. No promises mind 😉

Jagged

On 8/18/2018 at 4:39 AM, Jagged said:

I am a contributor to the Maptool project.  If you are unfamiliar with Maptool its a open source, totally free virtual table top (VTT) application. Its is probably the longest running VTT project, has more functionality than any other and is still growing. What it is definitely NOT is the nicest looking or easiest to use 😉 We like to refer to it as the Millennium Falcon of VTTs as it might not look like much but she's got it where it counts kid.

Anyway, I am hoping to run a hero system campaign in the not to distant future and am in the process of trying to improve some of the hex based features (such as drawing tools and area effect templates) but was wondering if there are any missing killer features that would make running a hero system game that much easier?

Have you ever thought, "It would be so much easier to play hero system if I could just ..." ?  If you have I would love to hear what it is and maybe I can do something about it. No promises mind 😉

Jagged

Jagged,

I think you hit the nail on the head.  It would be great if the drawing and AoE Templates could be set to Hexes instead of the default Squares. Other than that I love MapTool and have been using it to run Hero for years. 

One other thing that would really help is an updated and accurate Hero System Framework.  Nolgroth posted one way back and had been updating it but it looks like he's given up maintaining it now.

I personally use a mix of an earlier framework with some custom macros of my own design.  Nothing too fancy.  I personally don't try to do everything for the players.  Just enough to help the game along.

I will think about it some more and post again if I come up with anything else.

Deadman