Maptool and Hero System

I am a contributor to the Maptool project.  If you are unfamiliar with Maptool its a open source, totally free virtual table top (VTT) application. Its is probably the longest running VTT project, has more functionality than any other and is still growing. What it is definitely NOT is the nicest looking or easiest to use ? We like to refer to it as the Millennium Falcon of VTTs as it might not look like much but she's got it where it counts kid.

Anyway, I am hoping to run a hero system campaign in the not to distant future and am in the process of trying to improve some of the hex based features (such as drawing tools and area effect templates) but was wondering if there are any missing killer features that would make running a hero system game that much easier?

Have you ever thought, "It would be so much easier to play hero system if I could just ..." ?  If you have I would love to hear what it is and maybe I can do something about it. No promises mind ?

Jagged

On 8/18/2018 at 4:39 AM, Jagged said:

I am a contributor to the Maptool project.  If you are unfamiliar with Maptool its a open source, totally free virtual table top (VTT) application. Its is probably the longest running VTT project, has more functionality than any other and is still growing. What it is definitely NOT is the nicest looking or easiest to use ? We like to refer to it as the Millennium Falcon of VTTs as it might not look like much but she's got it where it counts kid.

Anyway, I am hoping to run a hero system campaign in the not to distant future and am in the process of trying to improve some of the hex based features (such as drawing tools and area effect templates) but was wondering if there are any missing killer features that would make running a hero system game that much easier?

Have you ever thought, "It would be so much easier to play hero system if I could just ..." ?  If you have I would love to hear what it is and maybe I can do something about it. No promises mind ?

Jagged

Jagged,

I think you hit the nail on the head.  It would be great if the drawing and AoE Templates could be set to Hexes instead of the default Squares. Other than that I love MapTool and have been using it to run Hero for years. 

One other thing that would really help is an updated and accurate Hero System Framework.  Nolgroth posted one way back and had been updating it but it looks like he's given up maintaining it now.

I personally use a mix of an earlier framework with some custom macros of my own design.  Nothing too fancy.  I personally don't try to do everything for the players.  Just enough to help the game along.

I will think about it some more and post again if I come up with anything else.

Deadman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Having lost any optimism regarding running Hero easily on Roll20, how would a non-technical like me with no script, macro, or bug fixing experience (and who types like a brain damaged chimp) approach running a Herosystem game on Maptool?  I have Hero Designer.

From my two years of playing on Roll20, features Inwould like to see would be to be able to track stun and body separately for otherwise identical mooks. A duplicate look button would be nice, I.e. load in one one, and then generate others with a button. I like the tracking of conditions on individual counters (DCV, STUN, BOD). It would be nice to auto generate a speed chart. It would be nice for it to grab specific Hero designer formats to create character sheets (even dynamic ones). Separate “public” and private player character sheets. Some way to calculate range in meters and/Or hexes for flying characters, ( or sniping from a d-story building) so range limitations can be taken into account more accurately. A held phase indicator on counters. Hex snap for characters, so that facing is enforced. aAOE templates seconded. Again, this is from my experience with Roll20, though non from the back end as a GM, and a I am unfamiliar neither Maptool or any other VTT. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Deadman still working on it. Have to negotiate with the Misses and the DIY for time :)

@ScottRuggles all those things are possible but with differing levels of difficulty. You have quite a long list and I don't have time to answer all of them.

Duplicating mooks is as simple as ctrl c ctrl v.

Tracking stats is as simple as deciding what stats your campaign requires. You can build macros to modify them automatically, but you and your players can do it manually if you have to.

Maptool supports snap to grid and facing for hex grids out of the box.

You can do a lot with the current AOE templates but I am going to improve them for Hero System. 

On 11/8/2018 at 5:51 AM, Jagged said:

Duplicating mooks is as simple as ctrl c ctrl v.

Tracking stats is as simple as deciding what stats your campaign requires. You can build macros to modify them automatically, but you and your players can do it manually if you have to.

The reason I make this point, was that my GM would go into screaming fits over Discord, about how  Roll20.net would apply the damage done to one enemy, to all the enemies of the same type on the map. 

• 1 month later...