Senator John McCain Has Died

Ranxerox

Senator John McCain Dead At Age 81

I voted for John McCain in the 2000 presidential primary though George W Bush and Al Gore went on to get their parties' nomination.  I still believe we would have been better served by John McCain as president than either of those 2 gentlemen.  In 2008, I voted for Barack Obama over John McCain, because McCain was no longer the better candidate.  Still, I remember a time at one of his campaign rallies when he mentioned his opponent and the audience started booing and yelling racist things and McCain told them to stop and that his opponent was a good man and he just disagreed with him politically.  His audience was displeased with his statement, but he has my eternal admiration for having the courage and class to make it.

Godspeed in this final flight, good sir.

I light the candle and turn the wheel for an American who we wish could have stayed to do more, but none could accuse of having done too little. I regret that he never got his chance to lead the country as president.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary intones, What is Remembered, Lives

Showed very impressive integrity. As noted earlier in this thread he rejected taking the low road during his 2008 candidacy when it would have been easier and possibly more strategic. But it was wrong, so he didn't.

While I disagreed with him on many policy issues, I have no question about him as a human being. Rest in peace, Senator McCain. As a nation we are poorer for your absence.

I didn't vote for him for President, not after his Bomb Bomb Iran joke. I disagreed with him on many issues, and even in death I don't feel it is disrespectful to preface with that. I do respect his opposition to torture, his opposition to the Donald, his campaign finance reforms, his military service, and scores of other things.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/30/politics/john-mccain-mother-attending-funeral/index.html

Just to make it weirder, his 106 year old mother will be at the service in Annapolis.  After all those "John McCain is so old..." jokes...

And yes, even if he never was quite the maverick that his PR said and voted for things I didn't like, he served his country well and seems to have been one of the last politicians who can treat the other party as merely the opposition, not the enemy.