Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cptpatriot

What happens when a combat precog runs out of options?

I was looking over my characters when I reached a character of mine named Psi-kick. She is a combat precog martial arts practitioner with telepathy, but what happens if she ends up in a position where her precognitive foresight shows her very few options.

This came up in a roleplay session where Psi-kick was captured by a villain that wanted to test the extent of her combat precognition. She is strapped down and completely immobilized and she can see a display. If she calls out the number that will be shown on that display she can avoid being shocked. The villain then gradually increases the time between when the shock would be delivered and when the display reveals the code to avoid being shocked.

I came up with this as she didn't have any other distractions so she could focus on the most immediate threat.

Are there any Complications or other comments that might be appropriate for the character?

Getting headackes each time she pushes her precog powers?

Psionic Code of Ethics?

Her mental senses get flashed if she encounters an event with to many choices (beyond one hundred would be my guide, depending on how complicated the choices are)? May also go in reverse, flashing her senses if there is two or less options.

10 hours ago, cptpatriot said:

I was looking over my characters when I reached a character of mine named Psi-kick. She is a combat precog martial arts practitioner with telepathy, but what happens if she ends up in a position where her precognitive foresight shows her very few options.

This came up in a roleplay session where Psi-kick was captured by a villain that wanted to test the extent of her combat precognition. She is strapped down and completely immobilized and she can see a display. If she calls out the number that will be shown on that display she can avoid being shocked. The villain then gradually increases the time between when the shock would be delivered and when the display reveals the code to avoid being shocked.

I came up with this as she didn't have any other distractions so she could focus on the most immediate threat.

Are there any Complications or other comments that might be appropriate for the character?

1) Psi-Kick could always choose not to cooperate or choose some arbitrary limit on her precog power and stick to it regardless of what the villains do to her. That's be a simple EGO roll for her to accomplish and considering that the nature of the experiment increases the time between each event, she could get an "extra time" bonus to her EGO roll. If she thinks it's important to keep that aspect of her power from being revealed, I could see someone who is really hard-core going that route.

2) According to how her telepathy works, it would be very in-flavor of comic books if she used her telepathy to put a psychic block inside her own head to set a limit on her precog power. And perhaps even erase her own memory that she had done it. That'd give the villain a false report on what her true abilities are. Maybe even go so far that she really believes, "Precog ability? You really fell for that? I'm just perceptive as hell, have a few levels in combat, and have reflexes which are off the charts."

16 hours ago, steriaca said:

Getting headackes each time she pushes her precog powers?

Psionic Code of Ethics?

Her mental senses get flashed if she encounters an event with to many choices (beyond one hundred would be my guide, depending on how complicated the choices are)? May also go in reverse, flashing her senses if there is two or less options.

1. Do you feel the forced test conditions might be a situation where she's doing the equivalent of "Burning Stun" ?
  2. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'Psionic Code of Ethics' in this case.
  3. I can see that her mind might be strained by looking for more options that aren't there and that causing her power to be flashed. That poses a question: how much of a limit is a power or group of powers that can be affected as a Sense vs Flash attacks, in this case Mental Senses?

8 hours ago, Mister E said:

This exact scenario happened to a precog in "DV8" the old Image comic book. 

It taxed the precog until she burned out, allowing the enemy to learn the limits of her powers.

Freestyle is the precog, but I don't remember the issues.

7 hours ago, archer said:

1) Psi-Kick could always choose not to cooperate or choose some arbitrary limit on her precog power and stick to it regardless of what the villains do to her. That's be a simple EGO roll for her to accomplish and considering that the nature of the experiment increases the time between each event, she could get an "extra time" bonus to her EGO roll. If she thinks it's important to keep that aspect of her power from being revealed, I could see someone who is really hard-core going that route.

2) According to how her telepathy works, it would be very in-flavor of comic books if she used her telepathy to put a psychic block inside her own head to set a limit on her precog power. And perhaps even erase her own memory that she had done it. That'd give the villain a false report on what her true abilities are. Maybe even go so far that she really believes, "Precog ability? You really fell for that? I'm just perceptive as hell, have a few levels in combat, and have reflexes which are off the charts."

1. So, you are suggesting trying to resist the torture. Let's hope her Resistance roll works out.
  2. True about the flavor. Funny thing, I've actually done the memory wipe with this character before, but in that case it was dealing with a painful part of her background.

seems like that character would have a  lot of ability to scramble the experiment I would suggest not shocking the hero but an innocent victim or DNPC . for extra meanness let the hero futz with the experiment think they are getting away with it then bring in the innocent. (a really good way to resolve this would be to have the hero communicate an escape plan to the other captive using telepathy. if you're looking for more ideas for the limitations and strengths try Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus novels it's a series of urban fantasy novels about an insanely powerful precog.

Take a page from Kuo-Ch'uan. Students are instructed to deliberately lose any fight that isn't serious.

The precog chooses a time increment, and then starts failing. Sure, she'll get a few shocks. Maybe she'll get a lot of shocks. But as the villain has figured out what her ability is the only remaining advantage she has is how far her ability goes. Never give away what you don't have to.