Multiple HtH Attacks

BoloOfEarth

Question

If I understand it correctly, should a character have a HtH Attack (HA) with Advantages, you adjust the user's STR to account for those Advantages.  (For example, a speedster has 20 STR and a Speed-Punch that is +4d6 HA, Penetrating (2x; +1), so he does a total of 6d6 HA Penetrating (2x). At least if I'm understanding things correctly.)

If the same character has a club, bought as +2d6 HA, OAF (-1), can that be used with the Speed-Punch, adjusting the damage appropriately (so with the club plus his STR he does 7d6 HA Penetrating?)  Or can he only use one or the other?  Or do they count as two separate attacks (a 6d6 Penetrating 2x HA, plus a 6d6 HA) against the target's defenses?

1 answer to this question

Per 6E2 102, when a character uses an HA with Advantages that directly affect the damage he does, you use the HA as the base attack and have STR add damage according to the rules on 6E2 96-102. Thus, the STR added is adjusted to take into account the Advantages on the HA. So your example — 20 STR applied to HA +4d6 with +1 worth of Advantages — is correct:  the character described does 6d6 Normal Damage with Penetrating (x2).

The issue becomes a little trickier when a character has one or more additional forms of HA that could add into the attack, and which either don’t have the Advantage(s) on the first HA, or have different Advantages. (Note:  I keep thinking that I’ve written about this before, but if so I can’t find it. I reserve my right to change my answer if necessary. ;) ) First, of course, the GM has to determine whether the two HAs can both work together. The default answer is that two different HAs can work together (but the character only adds his STR once to the overall damage, not to each HA individually). However, the GM is well within his rights to rule otherwise if the two HAs don’t seem “compatible” based on common sense, dramatic sense, special effects, and other considerations. Taking your example above (a “Speed-Punch” and a Club), some GMs might rule that they’re compatible, while other GMs might not — I can see arguments both ways.

If the two HAs are compatible, this raises the (potentially extremely complicated) issue of which Advantages apply and how you calculate the overall damage. I could easily spend the rest of the afternoon writing about all the possible combinations and now things play out, and frankly, even as much as I love the HERO System I have better ways to spend my Labor Day afternoon. ;)  I will consider this issue further and write about it in APG3, but in the meantime the best advice I can provide is for the GM to use his best judgment to make PCs fun to play without unbalancing the campaign.