I'm old

Badger

16 hours ago, L. Marcus said:

If it's too loud, one is too old. Them's the rules. 

2 hours ago, tkdguy said:

I guess there are some advantages to having hearing problems, then. I still find wearing hearing aids bothersome.

I am terrified of losing my hearing, because music, audio, and video are such major parts of my life. Already I'm noticing it's hard to pick up on some conversations unless i really focus on them.  But the headphones I am almost never without could be having that effect given time.

I just don't like to travel in silence. and that would lead to problems if that happened. Even if it's my own fault.

3 hours ago, tkdguy said:

I guess there are some advantages to having hearing problems, then. I still find wearing hearing aids bothersome.

I've worn them for about five years now, since I was 50.  I was never bothered by them.  I was so happy to be able to hear normally again that I didn't care what it took.  I'm much more bothered by my bald head, and I've had to live with that since I was about 30.

I kind of think for me, it is similar to what my mother went through (in her 50s, though).  Her eardrums just got more "sensitive" as it were.  And I do remember she had occasional dizzy spells for about a couple of years before things "adjusted".

I guess it is also a blow to my ego, in some ways, I have been always kind of proud of my vision and hearing.  As a teenager, my vision was much better than 20/20.  Now it is probably "only" that (plus those damn annoying floaters-in my right eye I have a little bit of that).  And while my hearing wasn't quite that fine-tuned, it has always been well above average.

Note: If I had to lose a sense, it would be smell.  My sense of smell has always been deficient, and  often the smell has to be somewhat strong to sense (and it seems most "strong" smells aren't smells you want to bear).  And my sinuses have always rendered it almost mute at several points during a year anyway.

I've been wearing hearing aids for about 3 years now. Sometimes I don't mind them; other times I find them uncomfortable. Then again, I never really got used to wearing glasses, even though I've had to wear them for over 20 years. Sometimes, wearing glasses gives me a headache. I usually prefer wearing contact lenses, although bifocal contact lenses can be a pain at times.

As for smell, I suffer from constant allergies, so I often smell only the strongest (usually bad) odors.

6 hours ago, tkdguy said:

I've been wearing hearing aids for about 3 years now. Sometimes I don't mind them; other times I find them uncomfortable. Then again, I never really got used to wearing glasses, even though I've had to wear them for over 20 years. Sometimes, wearing glasses gives me a headache. I usually prefer wearing contact lenses, although bifocal contact lenses can be a pain at times.

As for smell, I suffer from constant allergies, so I often smell only the strongest (usually bad) odors.

Yeah, really the only thing that affects my eyes negatively are bright lights, and 3D.  I can just avoid the latter.

If you played Champions 1st edition, back when it came out in 1981 you are officially OLD!

You are probably on the high side of 50 and that makes you OLD!!

You may even be approaching or over 60 and that makes you OLD!!!

And in case you're wondering, yes, all of these apply to me. I'm OLD!!!!

And cranky. But you probably already knew the last part. :tonguewav

3 hours ago, Doc Shadow said:

If you played Champions 1st edition, back when it came out in 1981 you are officially OLD!

You are probably on the high side of 50 and that makes you OLD!!

You may even be approaching or over 60 and that makes you OLD!!!

And in case you're wondering, yes, all of these apply to me. I'm OLD!!!!

And cranky. But you probably already knew the last part. :tonguewav

I missed the first one, trying to find my way through Mordorgrad school at the time.

29 minutes ago, Cancer said:

I missed the first one, trying to find my way through Mordorgrad school at the time.

I did manage the first one, while in uniform (which doesn't fit anymore and I'm not stupid enough to lie to myself about it).

But I'm pretty sure I've managed to shield my soul from any maturity that might have come my way over the years, so I've got that going for me.