Looking for help to create a Rocketeer type hero for a Golden Age Campaign

Shadow7

Hi all, 

I'm not really that good at creating character builds, but I was wondering if someone could help me create a template for a Rocketeer type hero for a Golden Age Campaign? He's a former army soldier, who has an experimental rocket pack and "ray" gun, along with googles that possibly provide not only protection against flash, but maybe aid for seeing in the night (blacklight googles).  He would have detective skills in addition to being a soldier.  His name is Air Warden.  He is not really an inventor but more of a daredevil/ hot shot pilot. Thanks for any help that you might be able to provide.

Looks straightforward.

What point total? What are the expected DCs? What else can you tell us about the campaign's parameters?

The way you have described him suggests a very typical Golden Age character:

"Normal" (superheroic) characteristics, similar to nearly every other Golden Age hero.

A few military skills - nothing special to begin with.

Pretty standard detective stuff.

Fairly basic Martial Arts (Boxing/Brawling) - nearly every Golden Age character had a good right hook.

Focused flight (jetpack). Probably shouldn't be drawing on his personal END. This could to be the most complicated  part of the build, but I would just go with zero END and call it good. You don't need to be worrying about fuel - real Golden Age characters were rarely bothered by such things.

Focused EB (ray gun). Charges? Or zero END if you can't be bothered by this. See my comment above.

Focused Flash Defence

Focused Night Vision

Unless the campaign is on stupidly low points, this should be a walk in the park.

I find this source interesting when building Golden Age characters, even though the builds look like they are 4th Edition.

There's also this page on the same site, covering Golden Age Marvel (Timely). I don't like the builds there as much as the DC ones on the first page I linked to.

You'll probably need to bump up the power levels a bit. Combat Luck is a good idea, as is more, well, everything.

Hunted (watched) by The Goverment (for care of there equipment. Should not be to high. They are constantly there, but rairly complain unless for the story or if the character does something really stupid with it.)

DNPC (usually a girlfriend...perhaps also the girlfriend's kid brother and the girlfriend's scientist father)

Social Complications: Subject To Orders (if he is in the military at the start of the game. If not, that will be thrusted upon him once the war starts at 0 points)

Thanks guys for the input and help!  As I said, I've never been very good at putting together a hero from scratch without some type of template to look off of.

The list of golden heroes is very good, since the GM wants to play adventures much in a style of the All-Star Squadron and the Invaders.  The skills list is also very helpful.  We are not sure if it's 125 pts and 75 pts complications, or 100 pts and 100 pts complications, but you are right in stating that he is an above average guy with experimental equipment that makes him "super."  His jetpack won't be stolen, however he doesn't work for the government.  He is not the inventor of the jetpack, but works with the inventor on making the world a better place.  His real identity will be secret as much as any golden hero was, by putting some googles on to cover his eyes and a leather flying helmet to cover his head and protect him.  He probably wears some type of flight suit like the Rocketeer or Captain Midnight, so the combat luck is probably the way I go over having armor.  He certainly is a standard golden hero in that he upholds good at all costs and fights evil.  

Assuming it was a 300 pt 6th ed, 10d6, 8 CV, 5 Spd game, this is how I would do it.  The flight at top speed should be comparable to P51.  Most of the items included in the build people have already said.  Just some additional notes:

1) Gambling Card games: so you can play poker pretty well.

2) The Photonic blaster has area of effect flash.  It always good to have some trick up your sleeve for hard to hit targets.

3) WF: Small Arms, though you might not need it, some GMs require it for you to pick up say a Nazi Soldier's rifle and shoot Nazis with it.

4) Navigation in the air.  Wouldn't look heroic if you got lost.

5) Charm so you can charm that femme fatale into switching sides.

6) Oratory so you can make that inspiring soliloquy or if this build is too squishy, his death speech.

7) Stealth, so you can sneak around Castle Wolfenstein.

8.) Skills and perk suitable for a pilot.

9) Combat Driving as well as pilot so you can get away in the Nazi Staff car after blowing up Castle Wolfenstein.

Rocket Man.pdf

That's awesome, thanks for that character build! If he has a commitment towards doing good, and fighting evil does that work as a complication?  What about a psychological complex of standing up for the little guy against the bully?  Overall this build is probably very close to what I want him to be.  Once again thanks for that!

46 minutes ago, Shadow7 said:

That's awesome, thanks for that character build! If he has a commitment towards doing good, and fighting evil does that work as a complication?  What about a psychological complex of standing up for the little guy against the bully?  Overall this build is probably very close to what I want him to be.  Once again thanks for that!

First, I like the name of Air Warden! Next I would allow the True Blue Hero phy complication.  Though I would be inclined to roll both complications into one.

Going from the actual Rocketeer, you can add "Fragile" as the jetpack gets shot both in the Disney movie and in the old serials.

Take a reduced PER roll when in flight (or maybe some kind of "Gestures" or "Restrainable"?) as if he turns his head, he changes course: the rudder was on his helmet.  Honestly, simply losing the helmet makes the rig nearly unflyable.

Ninja-Bear, 

Thanks, I really like the name of Air Warden as well.  It fits the era of the Golden Age and also a specific name that I was hoping to achieve while still trying to be original!  I'm not familiar with the True Blue complication, but I'm assuming it's what it sounds like in staying true to your convictions?  

10 hours ago, Shadow7 said:

We are not sure if it's 125 pts and 75 pts complications, or 100 pts and 100 pts complications, but you are right in stating that he is an above average guy with experimental equipment that makes him "super."

Ah. When I wrote "Unless the campaign is on stupidly low points, this should be a walk in the park", this was what I was referring to.

You are probably going to really have to cram to get even what I listed in.

Personally, I would go for the barest minimum of skills, and the highest possible characteristics. "Military skills" and "Detective skills" would be the most he can afford, and not a vast set of either. Think "infantry" not "Ranger", and skip most of the pilot stuff aside from Navigation. Breakfall would a be must too, for dodgy landings.

Although I only mentioned it in my second post, Combat Luck is essential.

3 hours ago, Shadow7 said:

Duke, 

That's actually a good idea, since this is all experimental and since it's golden age pretty antique especially by today's standards!

Thank you.  I was actually hesitant to speak up for fear of dumping all kinds of needless information.  We got a television when I was 13, and one of the two channels we got played the old movie serials on Sunday afternoons.  The Rocketeer has been an absolute favorite of mine since then. :lol:

2 hours ago, assault said:

Personally, I would go for the barest minimum of skills, and the highest possible characteristics. "Military skills" and "Detective skills" would be the most he can afford, and not a vast set of either. Think "infantry" not "Ranger", and skip most of the pilot stuff aside from Navigation. Breakfall would a be must too, for dodgy landings.

For what it's worth-- if you are actually modeling the Rocketeer as opposed to "someone kind of like him," pretty much every iteration of the character has been some sort of pilot prior to getting the rocket.  (and check your D&D books for the armor value on leather. ;)  Those old Chauffeur's jackets were some kind of heavy! )

Don't know what you use for miniatures (or even if you do), but I'd have a hard time passing this one up:

rocket man painted

(I've got to go Googling now.  Something in me wants to think he was called "The Rocket Man" in the old serials....)

[EDIT because I'm done googling]

Seems the movie serials he was "King of the Rocket Men."  The Rocketeer name came along with an 80's comic book, and the Disney movie was based on that--

the more you know. ;) ]

The original post said "a Rocketeer type hero" so not a literal version.

However I missed the "daredevil/ hot shot pilot" bit. Some skills related to that might be appropriate.

He's still being to be challenging to build on 200 points 6e. He's not even going to be the equivalent of a 175 point heroic character once his equipment is factored in.

Duke Bushido,

I know that the Rocket Man character was also called Commando Cody, which was later used in one of the Star Wars movies in honor of him.  That's miniature is impressive. 

Assault, not sure what the point total is yet, but it will be very low level.  I like your character build.  He was actually a former military army officer, who wanted to be a pilot but couldn't get into the ranks.  He is discharged now.  That's why he would have some detective and fighting skills, and at least some skills of being a pilot.  

The disadvantage true blue or standing up for the little guy would depend on your GM.  If the Golden Age comic, the GM believes all the heroes should be true blue or sticking up for the little guy, then its usually a zero point mandatory complication of the campaign.  If it isn't, it will probably be middle frequency and moderate intensity on the complication chart.

Well for military skills, you could just keep Everyman PS and call it soldier and be good. That’s zero points. Instead of  Boxing package, 1 or two levels of CSLs (if you keep it at 2pt level define it as Punch) and maybe a 1D6 HA . Defiantly buy Combat Piloting. Also ask and see if you only need to pay for unique equipment. Therefore you would have to buy the jet pack and ray gun but the leather armor should be free.