Power build: How do you make a limb paralyzed?

Tech

I'm looking at a power (maybe more of a martial attack as opposed to a superpower) where the attacker hits the defender in a critical area, paralyzing an arm or a leg. How would you build that? What problems would that cause for the defender combat-wise; i.e. less DCV, less movement, less OCV, etc?

If the attacker kept being successful, he could paralyze both arms and both legs. What then happens to the defender (probably DCV 0)?

The Joint Break maneuver has a Disable element.  Of course, that does HKA damage, which may not be what you're looking for.  However, since the Disable element references the Impairing rules (6E2:111) which talk about BODY damage done to an area...

If you have the 6E Martial Arts book and GM approval, I'd think you could design a maneuver (pages 92:101) with Grab Opponent as a maneuver base, doing NND damage, and add the Disable element, then (again with GM approval) use the "BODY" rolled to determine whether the attack succeeded in impairing the limb.

Note that the MA book also has a Wuxia MA Ability called Iron Finger (p. 144) that uses Entangle to simulate the paralyzation. 

It has been awhile since I saw the varioud MA rules for this that Boli references. As I recall even the main book(s) note that as an optional rule for the hit-location chart / called shots, any attack(s) that deal 1/3 of a characters body to a single location can be said to have destroyed or otherwise disabled that location. You could use this as a bench mark and not use the hit location. 

Have the player roll the attack. If they hit, roll damage. If that damage equals or exceeds 1/3 the characters total or current BODY, rule that a limb (your choice or at random) has been disabled. 

Other options: 

Drain with a similar mechanic to the above. The fade rate representing normal functions returning. 

CON / BODY Entangle with a special limitation showing it is only 1 limb at a time. Entangle already has Use, Combat Value, and movement restrictions built in. 

A Change Environments with minuses to Strength and/or Dex to impose rolls when the target attemps to use that limb. Failure means it is still disabled. Success means they can use it. Then decide if one success negates all potential future rolls (full recovery) or if rolls are still required until the power ends. 

I think the last one with CE is my preferred stylistic build choice and the first one above being my preferres route for an in the moment decision. 

La Rose. 

• 1 month later...

Ultimate Martial Artist (p187..) shows 4 ways of handling Disable, none of them strike me as being YES that's the way. 

I'm assuming you want to create a new Martial Manoeuvre designed to disable. 

If you are not entangling or changing the environment, and the special effect isn't, then they are not the best tool. However, working with your GM a fair price for the power/manoeuvre is the same as entangle or change environment. 

Cheers Beer 

I don't remember where it was originally published, but Entangle based on ECV was written up as Mental Paralysis.  Seemed at the time to be perfect to simulate nerve-strike type attacks.  Either this or straight up entangle with "no range, requires martial strike, limbs only, one limb per strike" or other limitations would be pretty much spot on.  As always, your mileage may vary. 

On 9/7/2018 at 5:44 PM, Tech said:

I'm looking at a power (maybe more of a martial attack as opposed to a superpower) where the attacker hits the defender in a critical area, paralyzing an arm or a leg. How would you build that? What problems would that cause for the defender combat-wise; i.e. less DCV, less movement, less OCV, etc?

If the attacker kept being successful, he could paralyze both arms and both legs. What then happens to the defender (probably DCV 0)?

The main danger for the target is loosing "ponts of origin" for Superpowers. Point of Origin is a ofter overlooked rule at the start of the power section. Usually you pick stuff like both hands, the head or the like.

If you grab both limbs, the target loose uses of any "hand POO" powers. If you grab the head, it is the same with "head POO" powers.

In Heroic Settings, a lot of powers are of course hardcoded to a single point of Origin (Shields and weapons) or simply require hands. Loosing arms would loose you the ability to wield weapons. Two handed weapon use afaik lowered the STR requirement by 5 or so, wich also affets "extra strenght adding to damage". So it can be a defense and offense penalty.

I can not think of any effecet for entangling only one leg. But both legs is mentioned in 6E1 under "Entangle, set effect"

Now in most ways being "Grabbed" and being "Entangeled" is very similar:

CV penalites are the same.

Movement penalties are similar
The Body+PD of a grab kind of works like a STR roll to keep the grab.

Entangles short description is "Restrains, immobilizes, or paralyzes another character"
So entangle seems to be a reliable way, if you can use "Powers as Martial Arts". The two obvious modifiers are "Takes no Damage from Attacks" (+1 Level; it can not be solved other then with a Atribute throw) and "Set Effect (-1)"

Hero System Martial Arts has a whole host of new Martial Arts and Martial Arts Maneuvers. It even has a way to build your own MA maneuvers. The two closest options are "Bind" (wich explicityl should only work for binding weapons) and "Disable" (wich require th disable/Imparing optional rules to be used).

I do still have one really odd idea however: Martial arts with Flash (Touch).

6E2 7ff deals with loss of senses. And under touch it notes:
"A lack of Normal Touch (whether permanent or as the result of a Sense-Affecting Power) generally imposes penalties of -3 (or more) on DEXBased Skills, OCV in HTH Combat (and even some Ranged combat, if the character has to, for example, shoot weapons), and any other activities requiring dexterous action. "

HSMA does add a "Flash" Basic effect to the avalible Martial Arts Maneuvers.

Now the approach is like this:
You make a martial Arts Maneuver: Flash (Touch)

Aim it at the arm. The arm is now numb. Using the arm imposes a -3 OCV penalty.

The enemy now has the choice between -3 OCV or not using that limb.

My only sticking point with entangle is the "overcome with STR," which seems really wrong for a nerve strike.  While Mental Paralysis allows "overcome with Ego (which right off the bat, at least. In most campaigns, means that it's quite likely you'll be needing fewer dice for the effect you want), which I actually sort of like in this scenario: forcing your body into acting through sheer willpower, as it were. 

Ultimately, it's your character and your universe; do what is most correct for you.  As this thread has demonstrated, there are _lots_ of ways to get in hat you want. ;)

On 10/20/2018 at 6:27 PM, Christopher said:

"A lack of Normal Touch (whether permanent or as the result of a Sense-Affecting Power) generally imposes penalties of -3 (or more) on DEXBased Skills, OCV in HTH Combat

This is why I dont bite people when I leave the dentist. :lol:

In all seriousness, though, the Flash thing is interesting.  I'd stick with an Entangle derivative myself, but that's most likely because it's what I am used to. 

31 minutes ago, Ockham's Spoon said:

If you want to go the Entangle route, instead of basing it on STR or EGO, I would base it on CON since that seems to me to be a better match for a nerve strike.

Absolutely it does. 

The primary reason I suggested Ego is that kung-fu schtick of using pure willpower or some mystical martial art energy... 

But yes: CON is way more accurate. :)

9 hours ago, Ockham's Spoon said:

If you want to go the Entangle route, instead of basing it on STR or EGO, I would base it on CON since that seems to me to be a better match for a nerve strike.

9 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

But yes: CON is way more accurate. :)

APG II 43 has some ideas for AVAD (Con).

AGP II 27 has this on splitting the effect of a entangle:
" In broad terms, Entangles do two things: they
stop a character from moving, reducing him to
DCV 0; and they prevent a character from using
Accessible Foci. At the GM’s option, you can split
these effects “in two,” making it possible for a
character to buy an Entangle that does one but not
the other.

For these purposes, stopping movement and
reducing the target to DCV 0 (as described on
6E1 215-16) costs 3 Character Points per 1d6;
preventing the use of Accessible Foci (as described